INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 21 & NA8005 & El Capitan  (Read 12319 times)

Xylem

MC 21 & NA8005 & El Capitan
« on: October 01, 2015, 03:41:31 pm »

Since upgrading to El Cap, audio played through my Marantz NA8005 in USB-DAC mode plays at a very low volume and sounds like it has a lot of static. This does not occur when audio from MC21 is routed through core audio hdmi. Only when routed through core audio NA8005. Audirvana plays through the DAC without issue.  I have tried resetting the DAC, checking for firmware upgrades to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 21 & NA8005 & El Capitan
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 04:22:06 pm »

Check to see if you can play sounds from System Preferences > Sound .  Check the setup of the DAC in Audio MIDI Setup (in Applications/Utilities).

If that doesn't change anything, check out the buffering settings in MC:  Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings .

I recommend a software buffer of at least 250mS and a hardware buffer of "hardware default", as a good starting point.

There were some reports a while back of El Cap doing something odd with USB ports, but I can't remember exactly what it was... I wonder if this is related?

Brian.

Xylem

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 05:36:25 pm »

Problem solved....I did a complete uninstall and reinstall and all works great now. I appreciate your help.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 06:02:14 pm »

Uninstall and reinstall of MC21?  Or OS X ?  I hope MC.... :)

Glad you have it working!

Brian.

Sonus

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 11:39:06 pm »

I have the same problem with MSB DAC from the USB output.
reinstalling MC21 didn't help.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 08:23:51 am »

Please try the suggestions in my post above:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100558.msg697329#msg697329

Brian.

Sonus

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 02:50:00 pm »

I did try them, didn't work.

I also reverted back to MC20 and i have the same problem, now i will check if the problem is in El Capitan or MC with it by trying a different software and see if it will work.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 04:23:17 pm »

I did try them, didn't work.

Did you get sound from System Preferences > Sound?

Brian.

Sonus

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 06:31:28 pm »

No

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 06:48:40 pm »

Ok, that means that OS X can't see your DAC.  So you need to do down the path of making OS X see the DAC first.  I'd try powering the DAC off and back on.  You might also try rebooting the Mac, though that's not normally necessary.

Until OS X can see it, no program is going to be able to play to it.

If you can't get it to work, I'd engage MSB's technical support.

Good luck!

Brian.

Dingwall

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 02:16:50 am »

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I have been using MC since it first was available for Mac. Back when MC 20 was brought out, I installed it, I had the same problem, distorted low volume sound. So I reverted back to MC 19 which work fine. That's why I never upgraded to MC20 or 21.

Upgraded to El Capitan and have the distorted low volume sound again. OS does see the usb DAC, have sound when playing through iTunes, have system sound through usb DAC.

Dac is a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus from a Mac Mini 3.1 Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 8Gb.

Tried reinstalling, Midi settings, MC Options, System settings to no avail. Tried different usb ports. Thinking of using the Optical Digital Out on the Mac Mini.

Hopefully it will be sorted by one or the other.

Regards,

Dingwall.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 08:04:33 am »

Try some "safe" Audio settings in MC and see if they help:

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device >  (Choose your audio device by name. NOT default output)

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings:
Open with Exclusive access:  Uncheck
Integer mode:  Uncheck
Channel Offset: 0

Buffering:
Software:  250mS
Hardware:  Hardware Default

Click OK on the various windows until you come back to MC's main window.  Close MC and reopen it.  Then try playing some music and see (hear) what you get.  :)

Brian.

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 09:09:14 am »

Good Morning! Just wanted to put in my two cents. I, too, have had a problem with USB output after upgrading to El Capitan. Reading posts on other sites it seems this is a random event. I have read and tried Beta Team suggestions to no avail. I did a clean install of OS X Yosemite followed by El Capitan but will wait to see if Apple acknowledges the issue and offers a fix. Fortunately I have a Windows machine running the latest version of MC so I can be patient. Will keep checking this site to see if something concrete appears. Love MC and this is the first problem encountered since using the software for many years. RKH (MacBook Pro, i7 processor, 16megs, dedicated solely to music no other software installed)

Dingwall

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 01:33:21 am »

Update:

Downloaded the MC21 trial version, installed it and imported an album which played fine. Imported all music, selected another album which played fine also. Bought a licence and installed it. After the installation of the licence, the distorted sound was back.

I'm lost.

Regards.

Dingwall.

Dingwall

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 06:48:07 am »

Update:

Looks like the Integer mode switch in MC21 did the trick. I have a Macbook Air late 2011 with which I was testing all the setting in MC19. Unticked the box at Integer Mode in MC19 Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings. Did the same in MC21 and it worked. Ticking the box On again the sound was distorted again and lowered the volume. Ticking it OFF restored the sound to normal. Oddly, in Midi Settings, it shows that Integer Mode is always ON.

Hoped to have helped.

Edit: Should have read Brain's post more carefully.

Regards.

Dingwall.

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 08:44:19 am »

Hi, un-ticking the Integer mode switch has worked for me on MC21 on a 2013 Mac Mini has worked for me.  Brilliant thanks guys and girls for the tip.

Tim.

nycjazz

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 08:01:40 pm »

This worked for me too, but what am I losing by not having integer mode?  I am feeding to USB input on Esoteric K03x?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 09:08:19 pm »

If integer mode won't work, then don't use it. 

Sonus

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 09:09:43 pm »

Perfect!
i removed Integer Mode and the sound is back to normal.

nycjazz

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 10:40:03 am »

If integer mode won't work, then don't use it. 

Integer mode used to work before El Capitan.  My question is now that I don't have it on, is there anything I'm losing.   haven't had time for a serious QA session, so it is more of a theoretical question.

magjac

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 10:45:11 am »

Having same issue, since installing El Capitan. Currently on latest beta of El Capitan - no changes. Same issue in both MC20 and MC21 - latest version as of today. Had same problem when using El Capitan non-beta.

Very distorted and very low volume. DAC is Benchmark DAC2 HGC. Mac is iMac 5K retina.

/Magnus

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I have been using MC since it first was available for Mac. Back when MC 20 was brought out, I installed it, I had the same problem, distorted low volume sound. So I reverted back to MC 19 which work fine. That's why I never upgraded to MC20 or 21.

Upgraded to El Capitan and have the distorted low volume sound again. OS does see the usb DAC, have sound when playing through iTunes, have system sound through usb DAC.

Dac is a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus from a Mac Mini 3.1 Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 8Gb.

Tried reinstalling, Midi settings, MC Options, System settings to no avail. Tried different usb ports. Thinking of using the Optical Digital Out on the Mac Mini.

Hopefully it will be sorted by one or the other.

Regards,

Dingwall.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 10:55:07 am »

Can you connect with something other than USB?

Try an Internet search for similar USB problems with the new OSX version.

blgentry

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 11:09:31 am »

Having same issue, since installing El Capitan. Currently on latest beta of El Capitan - no changes. Same issue in both MC20 and MC21 - latest version as of today. Had same problem when using El Capitan non-beta.

Very distorted and very low volume. DAC is Benchmark DAC2 HGC. Mac is iMac 5K retina.

From my post above:

Try some "safe" Audio settings in MC and see if they help:

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device >  (Choose your audio device by name. NOT default output)

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings:
Open with Exclusive access:  Uncheck
Integer mode:  Uncheck
Channel Offset: 0

Buffering:
Software:  250mS
Hardware:  Hardware Default

Click OK on the various windows until you come back to MC's main window.  Close MC and reopen it.  Then try playing some music and see (hear) what you get.

Try that and let us know how you do.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up