INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tools> Options greyed out/Can you use a Mac as a tremote for Windows MC21 on PC?  (Read 2536 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I was talking to an MC user in Honduras yesterday. He wanted to use a remote desktop to connect to his audiophile HTPC from his Mac laptop, in order to control what was being played on the former. I suggested that he buy an MC Master licence and use one instance of MC (on the Mac) to control the other. He already had a Mac licence and JRiver installed on it. Great, I thought, let's get him connected.
However, he said that Options was greyed out, and he couldn't find any Media Network options to connect to his Win-MC library. I know that can't be right, can it? Unfortunately, I only had access to his PC screen, and since he was paying for support by the hour, he didn't seem keen on first installing some remote desktop software on his Mac for me to access.

So, can anyone explain how to go about connecting a MC Mac version to the library on Win-MC, and then presumably be able to control what plays on the server?

blgentry

I've never done this before, but the Wiki says you set up TRemote on the client by doing File > Library > Add New Library using the Access Key of the server.  It doesn't mention doing anything with Media Network Options on the client end.  Maybe the docs aren't up to date?

I wish I had another machine to test with, but right now I only have one.

Brian.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Thanks - that will help with the Mac as client. I wanted to do it the other way around too, and wanted to find the Mac-MC access key in media network. But just going into add new library will be fine to have the Mac as the client.

blgentry

I think I misunderstood at first.  Now I get it.  He's saying he can't find a way to set options on the Mac version of MC.  That's very strange because Tools > Options has always worked for me.  I've never seen it grayed out before.

I just created a test library with nothing in it.  I was thinking that maybe an empty library couldn't have Media Network turned on.  But even with an empty library, Media Network is available in the Options dialog.  I'm not sure what your client was experiencing.

My experience with the Mac version of MC has been pretty consistent with almost everything I've read about the Windows version.

Brian.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Thanks again. I'm sure it's user error in this case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up