INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC needs a life-time license Purchase Option  (Read 3824 times)

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck
MC needs a life-time license Purchase Option
« on: October 02, 2015, 07:18:37 am »

I've thought about this recently and I'm starting to see this more and more with other media center software (Plex Pass lifetime, & PlayOn Lifetime) that I already own lifetime licenses for.  I'd be willing to bet that the main people purchasing the yearly early upgrades to the latest MC version have been loyal customers for years. I've been using MC since v12.  I've upgraded most years.  I upgraded to v21 when they offered the early-bird upgrade special for $18.98.

I think the lifetime license should be 6 x's the once a year early upgrade special of $19.  That would make a lifetime license $120.  JRiver would essentially be getting 6 years of early upgrade purchase revenue in advance.  I think for that kind of loyalty, it would warrant a lifetime license.  They could sweeten the pot for these lifetime license users by given early access to alpha or beta releases for early feedback and how about one or two exclusive features. I'm sure they could come up with more lifetime license perks.

With a lifetime license I wouldn't have to worry about missing the email with that special upgrade offer once a year.  So can we get a lifetime license purchase option for $120 (6 x's the yearly early upgrade price of $19)?  What say you JRiver?

Thanks
Keith

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC needs a life-time license Purchase Option
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 07:41:25 am »

While it would increase our current revenue, it would permanently decrease future revenue.  We need to be able to sustain a strong development team for many years.

With the current model, you can purchase one version, skip several versions, then buy one when it has something you need or want.

We deeply appreciate the customers who continue to upgrade year after year, often saying that they want to support our efforts.  We try to say thanks with a deep discount on an upgrade at the beginning of each cycle.

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 08:17:01 am »

thanks for the reply.  I appreciate you taking the time to explain your position.  I understand. You have to make money to stay in business and the software is not expensive at all.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 11:09:15 am »

Not making a huge load of money in the short term, in favour of less money consistently over time is a sustainable business strategy. Unfortunately, too few companies practice this, especially when investors or share-holders are concerned.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 04:15:02 pm »

famu97, you can go on using the version you bought a lic. for as long as you like.  Consider that a lifetime lic.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 11:09:52 am »

We deeply appreciate the customers who continue to upgrade year after year, often saying that they want to support our efforts.  We try to say thanks with a deep discount on an upgrade at the beginning of each cycle.

Jim, I sincerely appreciate the deep discount on an upgrade at the beginning of each cycle. It is most generous & I always look forward to the new version each year (warts & all ;D).

Keep up the good work & keep those new versions (& deep discounts coming).

THANKS from a long time user (version 7);

Doc 
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

maid

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 07:51:07 pm »

I am also a long term user since v11 and I also am very grateful and always take up the discounted new version. Thanks JH
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 05:25:42 am »

I would happily pay double or triple for each new version of MC. It's worth that much to me :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up