INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on CableCard and missing channels  (Read 1737 times)

lobo86

Question on CableCard and missing channels
« on: October 02, 2015, 11:52:20 pm »

I apologize up front if this is particularly obvious.  I support our CEO's home office unit.  The original setup was a Windows 7 Ultimate running Windows Media Center in conjunction with a SiliconDust HomeRun Prime.  Live TV viewing and DVR functionality worked fine on all desired channels.  CEO decides to upgrade the unit to Windows 10 the first day it is available.  In my research to replace WMC, I came across JRiver.  I tested in my home for all functions except cable card as I don't currently have that setup.  
I have setup JRiver 21 on the PC and after tweaking firewall settings have no problem seeing the 3 tuners and setting up the guide.  However, when selecting channels that were previously available for viewing and recording in WMC, are no longer available.  These are not premium channels such as HBO.  Rather it is basic CNN, TNT, etc.  Basic local network type channels are no problem.  Even a Disney channel comes through.  I thought that the cable card and tuning adapter handled decryption if present.  In looking over the forum, it would appear that others are not having this issue.  Is there a subtle tweak or setting I have overlooked? ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Question on CableCard and missing channels
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 07:15:00 am »

Some cable companies encrypt more channels than others.  WMC supports Playready DRM (Microsoft's own) and so can play cable channels that other programs do not play.

We may support Playready in the future.  I can't say when, but we're actively pursuing it.

lobo86

Re: Question on CableCard and missing channels
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 11:01:00 am »

Thanks for the response.  Does JMC have a way to identify and confirm that the channel is protected?  Since I am on a learning curve, I would just like make sure it is a security issue and not something I've missed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up