INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image quality - new to JRiver  (Read 4892 times)

DGV

Image quality - new to JRiver
« on: October 02, 2015, 04:57:58 am »

Hi,

Looking to replace windows media centre which I use for music and photographic collection on a media PC attached to Panasonic TV.

Music sounds great, but struggling with quality of images displayed. They all have close horizontal lines all over them, which show up very clearly in blocks of solid colour (often the sky in landscapes).

Generally, images look fine on this TV from this PC and video card - have only experienced the problem with JRiver MC.

Thanks for any help you can give,

David

ErikN

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Image quality - new to JRiver
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 11:26:36 am »

I'm fairly new to MC but figure asking a few questions may help tease out useful details. I play slide shows a lot through MC onto our TV. The goal is to see what might be different about your setup.

- Do you see this on all images but it's more noticeable in some? Or, is it only really hi-res images? low-res? 
- Does it happen in theater mode only or can you see it in a detached MC window (ctrl-6 I think)? What if you resize the detached window, do the lines remain?

DGV

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 12:19:56 pm »

Hi ErikN,

Thanks for your help. I have started to learn that there is a lot to learn!

I had been watching slideshows of albums in Theater view. Your questions made me look deeper.

In one folder I have a mix of different sizes. The 5184*3456 are all fine. My problems are with the 4000*3000. In slideshow of these, I always see the horizontal lines, but when I view them in detached view they look fine, even when I increase the size of the panel. Then, when I maximise them, they look fine for two or three seconds, then suddenly the lines appear. Does this help anyone?

Thanks again,
David

ErikN

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 08:09:55 pm »

Is there an image you would be ok with sharing? A more seasoned forum member might know if it's ok to post the image to the thread. If I can get a picture (post, external link, etc.) I would be happy to try it in theater view myself and see what happens. If I see horizontal lines also then it should be similarly easy for a JRiver engineer to take a look.

I'm providing triage more than a solution but it might lead to a solution in the long run.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 09:17:28 pm »

There are size limits to images posted into the forum, so a link to an external location would be better. That way you will get the image in its original form.

If the image is an original, say a personal photo, there are no issues with copyright or sharing. If a commercial photo, generally that is okay for diagnosing problems.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DGV

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 03:33:23 am »

http://vales.me.uk/testpic

This jpg photo shows distinct lines when shown on my TV in theatre view - particularly clear in the sky.

I appreciate your continued help.

David

ErikN

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 12:22:36 pm »

It's a good picture. The downside is I couldn't 'break' it. I tried display-mode and theater-mode, manual pan/zooming, auto pan/zooming, image effects, 2D rendering engine, etc. 

In the settings option => image, do you have anything non-default set (i.e. 2D rendering, Effects, Shrink/Stretch, Pan/Zoom, etc.)? Do they go away if you use pan/zoom (or, while viewing in theater mode, manually hit down and then zoom)? How many seconds does the image look good before the lines erupt? Do the lines look like bad scaling (i.e. they follow the rough colors of the the image being corrupted) or are they just random lines?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 02:50:08 pm »

Could be a video driver problem.

DGV

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 08:49:03 am »

Hi ErikN  and thanks for your kind efforts.

When I maximise a detached window it looks good or two  or three seconds, then the lines appear. They are completely regular horizontal lines, so no relation to the image.

And thanks, JimH. Good thought - I will try updating the driver. I recently fitted a new video card to the PC, but it's not an expensive one. However, this is the only application I have ever seen produce these results.

David

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 10:17:49 am »

JRiver uses 3D drawing and most other image programs would probably not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up