INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote on two independent music servers  (Read 3382 times)

edwardcr

JRemote on two independent music servers
« on: October 07, 2015, 08:05:58 am »

I'm still using the trial version of JRiver MC21, and I'm considering downloading JRemote. So obviously I'm very new to all this!

My home theatre setup, when it's completed, will consist of two completely independent computers - one PC for my video files and a second silent PC just for audio, which will be set up specifically to give me the best audio performance. Both will be running Windows 7 for the foreseeable future, however I'll probably upgrade to Win 10 once it's settled down somewhat.

They will both be connected into the same DAC, and into my hifi system. They will also be sitting together in my audio cabinet.

My question is this - using JRemote on my IPad, will I be able to control the two computers absolutely independently from the single version of JRemote? If I can't do this I'll probably have to forget using the JRiver / JRemote combination and find another solution.

There are two possible scenarios - one where I will keep both computers running permanently, and use each one as required, and a second one, depending on the potential noise level from the video computer, where I will simply switch each computer on as required.

I've searched through some of the posts in this thread, but as a complete newbie it's left me somewhat confused! So long as I can get an answer to this, however, I think I'll be able to work my way through everything else myself with the assistance of this forum.
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRemote on two independent music servers
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:20:07 am »

Welcome to the forum.   You can use JRemote to connect to multiple computers and control them.

edwardcr

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 08:25:18 am »

Thanks Jim

That's what I thought, however I did see some comments which seemed to indicate that in this situation one of the computers would have to be configured as a server, and the other one as a client (if my terminology is correct!)

Obviously, what I have in mind wouldn't work if that were to be the case.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 08:32:33 am »

That's what I thought, however I did see some comments which seemed to indicate that in this situation one of the computers would have to be configured as a server, and the other one as a client (if my terminology is correct!)
that would be the typical scenario, one library hosted by a single server and then clients present as playback targets to that server. You could alternatively run separate libraries on separate servers though then you need to work out how to sync changes between them.

edwardcr

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 06:06:09 pm »

You could alternatively run separate libraries on separate servers though then you need to work out how to sync changes between them.

Again, my ignorance is showing here - not surprising in the circumstances  :)

If the two computers are completely independent on the network, and one is specifically for Audio and the other specifically for video, would I need to synchronise the libraries, and changes to them?

Couldn't I have a library (maybe called "Audio") on the audio computer, and a second library "Video" on the video computer? Could these be shown as two separate libraries in JRemote, with no need for synchronisation?

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 06:10:07 pm »

As I understand it, you can control multiple MC instances from JRemote.  You just choose the Server you want to control.  But you can only control one at a time.  You'll need to switch back and forth if you want to control one and then the other.  You probably don't want to do this, given what you've said, but I'm mentioning it because JRemote doesn't "unify" the view of 2 Servers.  It just gives you control over either one, one at a time.

The case you've outlined would NOT require any kind of synchronization.  I think your plan will probably work fine.  Note that I don't own JRemote and have only used it a little bit.  Someone might come along with more or different information.

Brian.

edwardcr

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 12:03:07 am »

Thanks for all your very useful comments.

I feel reasonably confident now that I'll be able to work with JRemote in my proposed setup.

The potential noise level from my video computer is a concern (it's not a completely silent computer, and it will contain 8 x 3TB drives). Also, given the fact that I take my audio far more seriously than my video, I will spend much more time listening to my music collection than watching videos, and want best possible sound from that computer.

I think the solution will be to have my audio computer (which is silent) running constantly, ready for use at any time, and just switch on my video computer as required. That way JRemote can access the "Audio" library at any time, and I can switch to the "Video" library when that computer is switched on. I won't need to "unify" the two libraries, and I wont need to synchronise them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up