INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I consider JRiver for room correction?  (Read 1869 times)

Crispy

• Recent member
Should I consider JRiver for room correction?
« on: October 08, 2015, 10:23:27 pm »

I'd like some advice since this is a rather daunting subject. I have a hometheater with 7.1 ch receiver (Yamaha) through which all sources are connected via HDMI. I don't have a HTPC anymore, I replaced it with a small streaming box (Chromebox) which runs OpenElec. From what I see, JRiver will allow me to use Audiolense, Accourate. Dirac etc for room correctiom, maybe others as well.

- is this worth doing? i.e. will it produce better results than the AutoEQ (YPAO) built into the receiver
- what would I need to do this?  I'd want to buy a cheap used pc for this, I don't want to use the pc as playback device since OpenElec is perfect for that.
- what will be the approx cost?

I'm just exploring if this is feasible and worth doing, I know it offers a lot of tinkering flexibility.

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Should I consider JRiver for room correction?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 06:04:56 am »

Yes, you should.

I have used Audiolense 7.1 with JRiver since before JRiver offered its own convolution (VST plugin prior to that). It works!!!

1. Yes, you will most probably end up with a superior room correction. One important aspect is that you are able to get the target response to your own liking.
2. Soundcard with in and out, and a calibrated mic+mic preamp. In/out must be on same hardware to get consistent and low latency.
3. Sky is the limit, but I doubt you will find mic and and preamp for less than a few hundred $$.

If you plan on doing 7.1 setup, good frequency resolution (=many filter taps) and with active cross-over to sub, you can easily end up with a 15 path convolution filter. This is relatively cpu intensive, and I would be a bit pessimistic about using anything but a moderate to powerful htpc. But I may be wrong.

I found that my old three-core AMD Phenom could not do convolution blu-ray video with RO-HQ standard. I now use a i7, JRiver benchmarking around 4000.

Pages: [1]   Go Up