INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Add to up next equivalent in JRiver  (Read 2559 times)

merl1n74

Add to up next equivalent in JRiver
« on: October 09, 2015, 09:17:15 pm »

I'm looking for a JRiver equivalent of the feature in Itunes called Add to up next.  What I want to do, is right click a song, and add them to a play next list.  I want to be able to play them in the chronological order I selected them like a juke box.  I have been reading about the play now feature, which looks like it should work, and sometimes I can get it to work for 2 or 3 songs, but not longer. This should be a very basic feature, and I'm sure JRiver has it, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out.

When I look in the playing now play list there is all kinds of music in there I didn't select, even after I clear the list and add one song it adds a ton more.  I simply want a blank play list created on the fly as I select the songs to play in the order I selected them, and I want to be able to do it from the right click option, not dragging songs into a custom playlist each time.  Somebody please help me out!

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Add to up next equivalent in JRiver
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 09:28:51 pm »

assuming i understand your request, right click a file, and go to more play options, add (as next to play)

when you have done this once, it will show up in the first right click list and therefore easy to find later

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 07:18:02 am »

Also take a look at the options for how the play button works.  Tools > Options > General > Behavior.

merl1n74

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 10:14:33 am »

The problem with add (as next to play) is it doesn't queue the songs in order.  Example.  Song A is playing currently, I select song B and add (as play next), then while song A is still playing I select song C and add as next to play.  When song A finishes it will then play song C, and then song B, instead of song B then song C as in the order I selected them.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 10:40:33 am »

There are several different menu items that add a song (file) to Playing Now.  When you right click on a song, and get the menu, you'll see "Add to Playing Now" as an item.  That adds that song to the END of Playing Now.  Which is probably what you want most of the time, since you said you want them played in the order you clicked them.

On that same right click menu, you'll see a More Play Options sub-menu.  In there, you'll find a bunch more ways to add songs to Playing Now.  Including the one you mentioned:  Add (as next to play).  Which does exactly what you said:  It puts that song directly after the currently playing song.  Most of the time, you'll probably just want to use "add to playing now" and NOT "add (as next to play)".

A couple more things are worth noting:

1.  You can change the order of Playing Now any time you want.  Just click on Playing Now (in the upper left corner) to show it.  Then you can drag files into whatever order you want, on the fly.  Playing Now is one of MC's best and most powerful tools.
2.  You can select a group of files at once, like sequential album tracks, or even an entire album, and add them to Playing Now in the same way as you can with a single file.  The right click menu works exactly the same on multiple files at once.
3.  When you double click on a file, by default it starts playing that file and clears Playing Now.  You can change this if you want.  For example, one thing you can change it to is "add to playing now (end)".  With that set, every time you double click a file, it would get added to the end of Playing Now.  You can see all the selections in the Options Dialog:  Tools > Options > General > Behavior > Double Click  .

I hope this helps.

Brian.

merl1n74

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 12:38:55 pm »

The thing I don't understand about the playing now list, is its filled with songs that I didn't pick.  Even if I clear the playing now list so nothing is in it, the second I add a song to it it populates the list with a ton of other sings that I didn't select, why is this, and how do I prevent it from happenning?

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 12:49:57 pm »

It sounds like maybe you're using Play Doctor.  Play Doctor is designed to build you a mix of songs based on a song or group of songs that you choose.

If you're only adding by right clicking on a file, then you must be choosing Play (with Play Doctor).  Or maybe you are entering songs into the Play Doctor box that comes up with Playing Now is empty?

Try this:

Clear playing now.
Add exactly ONE song the way you normally do.  Make sure you're not using Play Doctor.
Go look at Playing Now.  It should only have one song in it.
Add another song and check again.

There's probably a simple explanation for this.  MC's Playing Now is a very well known and widely used feature.  It's very solid.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up