INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone explain the JRiver magic?  (Read 7992 times)

Glimmer

• Recent member
Can anyone explain the JRiver magic?
« on: October 09, 2015, 09:29:38 pm »

Hi

I have been using JRiver since 18 and now on 21.

I tried using Spotify recently, it has been the first time I used another player in a while. I dont use the JRiver WDM driver because sometimes I watch videos and I notice a lag e.g. you tube.
Then I found I could use "Fidelity" to use JRiver as an output on my Spotify. My god it sounded amazing playing through JRiver......

So I was wondering if anyone could explain how this was possible. My standard windows 10 WASPI, my standard DAC ASIO didnt sound as good as using JRiver WASPI.
Now I realise this is a commercial product and you probably dont want to reveal your secrets, so if you cant say then its alright. But JRiver is an amazing product!

Thank you!

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can anyone explain the JRiver magic?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 06:01:28 am »

Then I found I could use "Fidelity" to use JRiver as an output on my Spotify.

Could you please explain what exactly you mean here? What do you mean by 'Fidelity'?

Cheers

Spike

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 07:46:10 am »

I think he meant FideliFy.

http://fidelify.net/

Glimmer

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 12:32:29 am »

Yes sorry. Indeed I do mean FideliFy

theoctavist

• World Citizen
  • a bad liver and a broken heart.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 10:58:40 pm »

the explanation is quite simple.

expectation bias.  theres nothing more to it than that really. 

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 12:14:54 pm »

There are too many factors in all the various settings of a PC, Windows, MC21 and Spotify to pin down which settings are responsible.

The less software and hardware are involved in reproducing sound, the better the sound.

This is clearly demonstrated from the fact that a violin or piano sounds best in person, with zero hardware and software.

So, adding JRiver MC21 in addition to other software like Spotify is never going to improve the sound in general.

( Note that MC21 does have excellent features like Room Correction and Parametric EQ to fix specific problems with specific rooms or recordings, but you were speaking in general. )

theoctavist

• World Citizen
  • a bad liver and a broken heart.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 01:14:53 am »

That's the thing , there is no setting responsible, because if the data streams are identical on output...then nothing has been gained or lost.
it is just expectation bias. I would bet my life on it.

Glimmer

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 08:25:57 pm »

I am not using room correction or any DSP.

So what you are saying, if I am hearing a difference either it is all in my mind OR there is a problem with general set up (not using JRiver)?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 09:30:44 pm »

That's the thing , there is no setting responsible, because if the data streams are identical on output...then nothing has been gained or lost.

That would be true. But what if the audio data path doesn't deliver identical data streams?

Consider;
Spotify ==> Spotify App ==> Windows 10 ASIO/WASAPI ==> DAC/Sound Card
vs
Spotify ==> Fidelify App ==> Fidelify ASIO/WASAPI ==> DAC/Sound Card
vs
Spotify ==> Spotify App ==> [Direct Sound mess/decoding/re-encoding...Don't know what happens in here...Windows 10 ASIO/WASAPI] ==> DAC/Sound Card

Then there could be a real difference in the data stream delivered to DAC/Sound Card, couldn't there?

I haven't used Spotify yet, so I don't know what the output options are, and whether Direct Sound gets into the mix at all. But if it did, there could be a real sound difference.

Glimmer, how do you output from Fidelify and get it into MC? Do you use the WASAPI loopback capability or something, to feed the Fidelify WASAPI output back into MC? I haven't played with those capabilities yet, so would be interested to know.

Or are you in fact using the WDM as output for Fidelify? You could do that for Spotify anyway using the official Spotify App if you set up a Zone for Spotify playback, because lag would not matter when just playing music from Spotify. Fidelify is still in Beta, and hasn't had an update in over a year. There isn't much activity on their forum either. So I wouldn't want to be relying on that App.

I am not using room correction or any DSP.

So what you are saying, if I am hearing a difference either it is all in my mind OR there is a problem with general set up (not using JRiver)?

If you are noticing a really big difference, and you aren't doing any DSP in the audio path, then there is probably some other difference in the audio path, such as Direct Sound doing conversions.

If you are just hearing colour, depth, breadth, timber, warmth, stage, or other features you prefer more, it is probably all in your mind.  ;D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up