INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Error communicating with server" when playing video  (Read 3260 times)

shrubbzz

"Error communicating with server" when playing video
« on: October 11, 2015, 10:41:08 am »

Hi All,

I hope someone can help, I've read through lots of info and tried everything I've found but cannot solve this issue. Here is what happens. I've installed Gizmo on my phone, tablet, and Nvidia shield. I can connect via Gizmo to my MC21 server. I can play music, view pictures and control sending content to other renders.

None of the three seem to be able to play video. I get the 'preparing' message and the message 'error communicating with server'. This just repeats over and over until I stop it.

What has been tried:
Tried several different video profiles under Media Network => Video Conversion
Tried creating a new DLNA server specifically for these renders
All sorts of stuff in the numerous posts

This only fails when using Gizmo, if I use a media player on my network the videos play fine.

Help please.

Chris

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: "Error communicating with server" when playing video
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 11:14:47 am »

Similar problem:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100504.msg698662#msg698662

The renderer may not support video or the video type you're playing.

On the server, you can set conversions under Media Network.

shrubbzz

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 03:41:44 pm »

Thanks JimH.

Yes, I had read that post and none of the settings helps. When you say "The renderer may not support video or the video type you're playing." I'm not sure I understand. Which renderer are you referring to? Gizmo? I have tried MKV, AVI, MP4, WMV, all of varying formats. I cannot stream using Gizmo to my Droid Razr, Dell Venue, Nvidia shield, or my Samsung Galaxy note.

If I open any DLNA client on any of those devices on my local network, I can watch without issue and without converting or transcoding. Is the suggestion that the device is to blame for this? If so, I'd like to ask if anyone else is successfully streaming to Android 4.4.2, or 4.1.2?

Additionally how can I debug this and confirm that is the issue? Does the Gizmo client log errors or create a log somewhere? I'd really like to get this fixed or at least confirm the issue, especially since this was one the features that convinced buy MC.

Thanks again, would appreciate any troubleshooting advice I can get.

shrubbzz

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 03:56:30 pm »

So on a whim, I installed MC on another computer and streaming video works fine. I'd sure like to know what the issue is with the other server. I don't think its firewall related since I can get connected and listen to music, just not watch video. I think I'll try a re-install.

Am I allowed to uninstall and re-install or will that use a license? Am I supposed to deactivate or just 'recover' my license when I install?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 04:54:20 pm »

Uninstalling won't affect your license.

Here's how to restore, if needed:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License
Pages: [1]   Go Up