INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Retrieve tag names from media files  (Read 1666 times)

JSmithson

• Junior Woodchuck
Retrieve tag names from media files
« on: October 13, 2015, 02:51:43 pm »

Hello JimH and gang,

I was a MC user for many years, going back to Media Jukebox days, but have not been using it for a few years now. I went down the iPod to iPhone to Mac rabbit hole.... Also with wife and kid etc, music took a back seat for a while.
Would like to start back again, but all the library info and backups etc went away with the old windows machines. Probably could get a backup from someplace, but a lot of files have been moved around and added etc.

So it seems best to start with a fresh library. I don't mind losing playlist and counts, but would like to get my custom tags back. (I had sub genre and co artist and things like that.)

I'm assuming if I start a new library, add in the same tag names and import all the old files in, it will recover all the custom tags. The problem is I don't remember all the exact tag names!!!!

Is there a way to pull the tag names out of some of the music files? Or a way to see them from an old backup from the windows days?

Thanks

Jim

JSmithson

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Retrieve tag names from media files
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:54:37 am »

Problem solved. Forgot I had one old laptop left in closet (Windows Vista) with a bad hard drive. After several reboots (about 45 min) was able to get it up and MC running long enough to get all the tag names I used in the past.
Added the new fields to the current library and imported all my files. All tags where there. Now just making views and playlists.
(Also later found out about the Tag Dump, so could have done it that way)

Also added the DLNA server and was streaming my music to Sonos in minutes. Downloaded the App and was controlling things from my phone also.

Great work guys
Pages: [1]   Go Up