INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to create a blu-ray disk in JRiver for recorded TV?  (Read 3537 times)

pauljhammond

• Recent member

I can create a DVD natively but there is no option for Blu Ray. I've downloaded full version trials for AnyDVD HD and DVDFab but they seem to only allow playback. On alternative would be to convert the .jtv file and create the disk outside of JRiver but I'd prefer to create the disk directly for the recording program from with JRiver.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is it possible to create a blu-ray disk in JRiver for recorded TV?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 08:04:29 pm »

Recordable optical media are a trap for long term storage.  No one should ever use optical media for long term data storage.  Pressed optical media (that comes from a factory with data already on it) is a different story and has a different use.

Just buy large hard drives and be done with it.

Brian.

pauljhammond

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 09:10:22 pm »

I'm not looking for long term storage since I already backup to an external hard drive. I'm really looking for an answer to my original question...not so much alternatives.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 09:17:33 pm »

I guess I misunderstood.  You want to create a Video BD disc then?  To be played on a real hardware BluRay player?  I don't know much about that.  Hopefully someone else can help you.  Good luck.

Brian.

pauljhammond

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 10:16:11 pm »

I probably could have worded it better but that's exactly what I want to do. I'm not sure it's possible but thought it worth the effort in posting.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 11:32:05 pm »

If you wanted to create a Blu-ray disk of a TV series, for example, that was recorded in MC using the JTV format, you would have to:

1. Convert the JTV files to some other format using MC, since it is the only software that I know of which can convert the format. No longer true. Have a read of this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,105793.0.html and maybe this one: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,92571.msg744310.html#msg744310 When you do this, be aware that you will only get stereo audio out, as the conversion functionality does not retain any multi-channel audio broadcast and recorded in AAC or AC-3 format.
2. You will probably want to trim the start an finish of the TV show to get rid of the padding from the recording, and maybe to trim out commercials. You will need a third party tool to do that. VideoReDo is a good tool for this job, but check which formats it supports first, and use the trial to check how well it works for you.
3. Create a Blu-ray disk, and burn it to optical media. You will need a third party tool for this.

I doubt very much that MC will ever support Blu-ray disc burning, or creation of the Blu-ray structure.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 01:33:57 am »

The simplest process at present if all you want to do is make a BD copy of a video in MC (say a TV Recording) and don't mind the "quality" too much is:
- Select Video in MC
- Convert Format using "MPEG2-TS 1080p AUTOFPS" (it has a BD Compatible Video and Audio Format)
- Mux to BD Structure (use TSMuxer)
- Burn to Disk (use ImgBurn)

The main thing that would make it hard to automate from inside MC, is I don't see (currently) any way in MCWS or MCC to ask for a file to be converted against a particular template (and those available are not great at present but this may change).  If we could use a MCWS or MCC command then automating the rest should not be too hard to script up.

The real thing is if there is any interest.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 01:49:19 am »

...actually the MCWS "GetFile" option may allow the selection of via it's "Conversion" (or "Mime Type") Parameter but I'm not sure of the syntax.  If a JR'er is reading this, can you shed any light on what this does and it's syntax and I'll have a play.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 04:15:48 am »

OK - I've got all the others bits sorted out to enable a user to burn Video File(s) to BD, but need help on what the MCWS command is to grab a transcoded file using "GetFile" and the "Conversion" option.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up