INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC21...Worth the upgrade?  (Read 5721 times)

Christian_Rork

• Junior Woodchuck
MC21...Worth the upgrade?
« on: October 21, 2015, 04:18:14 pm »

Hi Everybody,

I have been using MC18 for quite a number of years now for digital audio and have been on the fence upgrading to the latest version.  I wanted to hopefully get some feedback from other Interact members using the new version that had version 18 before.  I am really happy with MC18 and the sound quality it produces, outside of technology upgrades and options, will MC21 produce a noticeable difference in sound quality over the previous version?

Thanks for your feedback.

Erik

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: MC21...Worth the upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 05:20:30 pm »

why not try the 30 day free trial and see for yourself!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 05:37:11 pm »

I am really happy with MC18 and the sound quality it produces, outside of technology upgrades and options, will MC21 produce a noticeable difference in sound quality over the previous version?

Just my observation on this type of thing...

I read CONSTANTLY on another forum about a certain Mac audio player that claims audio improvements with each new version.  People there fall all over themselves asking how the new one sounds and occasionally ask what the new sound quality is based upon.  I have yet to read ANYTHING technical about the claims of better sound quality.  In that particular forum, about that particular player.

I have to ask myself, how many improvements can a proper digital audio player make?  This isn't an analog product.  You can't use new speakers to make better sound.  You can't lower the noise floor by using higher quality power supplies or better components.  You can't improve linearity by using a (more) properly biased amplifier stage.  You can't improve high frequency response by reducing inductance.

My point is that, with other parts of the audio reproduction chain, you can address specific things to improve, or at least change, the way things measure and sound.  With a *software* player, there are definitely things to be done to do it correctly.  But once you get beyond the correct basics, what more can you do?  I think the basics of digital audio are pretty well understood by most companies that make good players.  Perhaps there's something here I don't know though.  <shrug>

Players that claim to increase sound quality over and over make me skeptical.  They remind me of things like "magic pebbles", green pens (for CDs), cable stands (to hold them off the floor), multi-thousand dollar speaker cables, and the like.  In short, I think they are probably straight up lying.

Oh and for your enjoyment if you haven't yet seen it.  One of the most technically advanced audio improvements available.  The Teleportation Tweak:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina60.htm

(I think the link above is absolute BS, but it's fun to read.  Also fun to ask how many people have purchased this "product".)

Brian.

wer

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 11:59:41 pm »

The audio engine was so good before you won't hear a difference.  Likewise MC21 has new volume leveling that's supposed to better but I don't notice it.

However, MC21 has per-file DSP settings, which is very nice indeed and can make your listening experience more enjoyable if you use DSP.

The biggest improvements to me are in video playback though.  If you also use video with JRiver, I would say the upgrade is definitely warranted.

MC21 is definitely a better product than MC18.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 12:41:50 am »

Hi Everybody,

I have been using MC18 for quite a number of years now for digital audio and have been on the fence upgrading to the latest version.  I wanted to hopefully get some feedback from other Interact members using the new version that had version 18 before.  I am really happy with MC18 and the sound quality it produces, outside of technology upgrades and options, will MC21 produce a noticeable difference in sound quality over the previous version?

Thanks for your feedback.

Erik

Hi Erik,
For pure audio playback, I found V19 best for sound quality than V20 and V21 and all early version for that matter. I do have a license for V21, but sticking with V19 for audio. I listen to JRiver in pure direct mode with ASIO, no DSPs, no volume. The 'New' style memory playback, which decodes audio to memory first before playback, introduced in V19 I found a great addition. I recommend V19 overall for sound quality, I think it's the best so far.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 12:54:19 am »

why not try the 30 day free trial and see for yourself!
That, right there, is the answer to your question. Then you'll know about the bits you care about. The rest of the thread should be, erm, interesting... :)

Christian_Rork

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 11:07:33 am »

Thank you for your input!.....As stated earlier, MC18 sounds really fantastic streaming via DLNA/Raspberry Pi2.  Am I able to upgrade to just MC19?

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 04:52:06 pm »

Thank you for your input!.....As stated earlier, MC18 sounds really fantastic streaming via DLNA/Raspberry Pi2.  Am I able to upgrade to just MC19?

try the demo in the Old Versions thread on this forum, see if it meets your needs.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

buckeyewalt

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 06:56:33 pm »

I have MC 17 and MC 18 and really shouldn't have purchased 18 but at the time it was a special offer so I bit. To me and my ears, MC 17 sounds just as good as MC18. As one person said how much better can you make a good sound better with the given parameters. I really don't do video on MC (way to much playing around to get things right). As many people have said, JR is very good but you have to play with it to get the most out of it which is not my thing. I have a very good 5-1 setup on my computer, have close to 9000 songs on here and it sounds great. Until JR starts adding "useable" features (like lyrics for one), I doubt that I will upgrade just to upgrade. I like JR for what it is and for me it's a very good audio player. I mean most of the time I listen through my headphones which are studio quality. I don't know this for certain, but I would almost venture a guess that most use JR for audio.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 07:54:40 pm »

I don't know this for certain, but I would almost venture a guess that most use JR for audio.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100475.0
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up