INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why the silent break during playback??? Help!!  (Read 2970 times)

sperandeo

• Recent member
Why the silent break during playback??? Help!!
« on: October 21, 2015, 07:02:51 pm »

I have upgraded every single time MediaCenter has a new version. When I first got the software it ran flawlessly. I have not changed anything except the software version over the last year and a half.
During playback (every few minutes) the sound just cuts off for a second, then it comes back on again.
I am using a Mac with the newest version of 21. I also use the JRiver app on my iphone to control the MediaCenter software on my Mac

At one point I thought the issue was the JRiver software on my iphone causing the issue, because there have been a few times that the system cuts off then back on at the exact moment that I switch on my phone. But after further investigation, I've noticed that it does it even if I don't touch my phone.

Something obviously changed with the software somewhere along the line, and it does this annoying cut off. It just did it again as I was typing this post.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Why the silent break during playback??? Help!!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 07:28:34 pm »

This is in the wrong forum; it should really be in the MC21 for Mac forum.  I'm not an admin, so I can't move it...

Anyway, I've got rather a lot of experience with this problem myself.  The thread I started on this is many pages long and goes through a lot of changes.

The two biggest things that seemed to help for me were:

1.  Disabling App Nap for MC21.  You'll need to cut and paste this command into a terminal window:
Code: [Select]
defaults write com.jriver.MediaCenter21 NSAppSleepDisabled -bool YES
If you don't know how to do that, just skip it for now and move on to the next item.

2.  Increase software buffering for your sound device in MC21:
Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings > Buffering > Software > (select value here)
I recommend starting with 250 mS, but 500 mS was much better for me.  I'm currently running with 750 mS and that has reduced the audio dropouts down to very few.
2.A.  Just for completeness also check your hardware buffering.  It's in the box right below software buffering.  It should be set to "Hardware Default".  Some versions of MC21 shipped with it set to "Maximum", which caused a lot of audio problems.

For reference, here's my original thread.  It's way too long to read it all, but just in case you wan to see it...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97571.0

Brian.

sperandeo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 07:45:47 pm »

Thanks Brian,

I just changed those setting without touching the "terminal" setting for now.

I'm listening now to see if it still does it. I should know in the next 10-30 minutes, that's how often it was happening.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

I'll let you know if it's been solved.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 07:50:00 pm »

On my system it wasn't quite as frequent as yours, but I was getting steady dropouts once an hour until I changed some settings; the biggest one being the software buffering.  With my current settings I'm getting something like one dropout every 12 to 15 hours of continuous play.

I'll be curious to hear your results!  :)

Oh and just for comparisons sake:  My hardware:

Late 2011 Macbook Pro, i7, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB "regular" (non-SSD) internal hard drive

Brian.

sperandeo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 09:59:56 pm »

So far so good Brian, it's been over an hour without a drop out. I really think you just saved the day for me!!!!

Thanks so much!!!!

I'll let you know if it happens again

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up