INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My MP3's Don't Work!!  (Read 2841 times)

simpleuser99

• Junior Woodchuck
  • BANZAI!!!!
My MP3's Don't Work!!
« on: September 05, 2003, 11:52:08 pm »

I recently tried to play some MP3's in WMP V.9 and many of them returned an error saying "unknown media type" or something to that effect.
They worked before in WMP so I can only assume that MC9 changed something.

So, why would I try to play something in WMP?
Because Windows Media Player does a very good job of updating the ID3 tags with the correct double-byte information needed by most common programs. Double-byte is another name for uni-code characters.

I think that MC9 is a great program but it is so pathetically weak with tags. Period!
If you lose your media library data file in MC9 then the game is over. I have to re-type every id3 tag.

If you have ever used Japanese or Chinese then you would know what a pain this can be for a non-native speaker.

1) get the MC9 program working - especially with tags!!! MC9 is too weak to rely on database backups.
2) make a stable version that works well with multi treading (use it, it's there), album art look-ups and multiple tage info options.

Finally, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, take this as condtructive criticism. I am a registered owner of MC9, ok.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: My MP3's Don't Work!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 01:41:25 am »

I had the same problem longer time ago (same WMP9 error message). I'm not sure, if it was MC, but in the end I didn't get a solution for this. WMP9 always tried to download a encoder, but never found the one it was looking for. So I installed every codec I could get, but nothing helped. Also reinstalling WMP9 didn't effect.
Because of a quiet bigger error on my system I had to reinstall WindowsXP, after that everything works great again.
I'm very familiar with WindowsXP, so I think it has to be a big mistake, because I didn't find the solution  ;D.
Would you tell me, if and how you get WMP running again, if you get it?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 03:55:55 am »

It might be a problem in the associations

if mp3 is corrupt in the associations or missing it will give you this message
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio, Music
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2003, 12:35:53 am »

I have the same problem with WMP before. It has something to do with the ID3 tag.

What I did was I resave those ID3 tag of those mp3 files that have error using Winamp 2.91 (Using the library). Or was it repair. I can't remember. If it has the repair function, I believe I was using it then. It has been a long while since I last used it.

Anyway, just hope that this could help you solve your problem. But the problem was not cause by Media Center as far as I know as this happened even before I used Media Center as my default player.
Don't Panic!

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003, 05:42:06 am »

Or maybe is the Mp3 header corrupted, you have many choises to fix that, go to hydrogenaudio.org an make a search in the foruns. i think that foobar 2000 as a built in mp3 header fix.
Made in Portugal

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 05:45:47 am »

If I recall correctly, that was a problem in an early version of WMP 9 and it was fixed with a patch.

Here is an excellent FAQ by Zachd.  He's on the WMP development team at Microsoft.

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2003, 05:49:55 am »

Here, for example, is one problem he cites:

Q: Why do I get the error 0xC00D0BB8 (or error 0xc00d1199) trying to play back a file in Windows Media Player 9 Series?
A: The MP3 you are trying to play either uses compressed ID3 headers or an unsynchornized ID3 header or otherwise has to-WMP-unintrepretable ID3v2 data, which the player does not support for security reasons.
If it has unsynchronized ID3 headers, then the Q814129 QFE will allow these files to play back.
Otherwise - if that does not work -, you would need to use a tag editing software program to eliminate the compressed ID3 information. Alternatively, the file could be played in most other players.
A quick way to clean up the file is to open the file up in WinAMP 2.x, right-click on the file in the Playlist window, choose "File Info" and uncheck ID3v1 tag and ID3v2 tag, then click Update. The file should then work fine in WMP.
Alternatively, if you want to use a Tool to do this, you can use the Advanced WMA Workshop.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2003, 06:09:18 am »

People may not know this but JimH was on one show in Magnum P.I. as an extra and no lines but what can you do.

I think I rember this problem now

Listening to: '(Theme From) Magnum P.I.' from 'The Best Of Mike Post' by 'Mike Post' on Media Center 9.1
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio, Music
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

simpleuser99

• Junior Woodchuck
  • BANZAI!!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2003, 10:06:58 am »

Thank you all for your help.

I downloaded the update so I will see if it works.

Also, I found some things I will post in another thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up