INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question about Android and 24bit audio  (Read 3248 times)

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
question about Android and 24bit audio
« on: October 26, 2015, 05:44:58 am »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if maybe someone could help me understand how Android handles hi-res audio.

Currently I am on kitkat 4.4.2 and I can play back 24 bit files (namely 2ch 24/88.2 and 24/96). However, I remember reading somewhere that android 5.0 introduced some changes related to support of 24 bit audio and that previous versions didn't support it properly. So my question is do I have to update my device to Lollipop in order to listen to hi-res audio natively? On 4.4.2 it does get converted to 16/44.1, right? Or do I understand it wrong?

Thanks

alxj

Re: question about Android and 24bit audio
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 06:58:29 am »

Are you using an Android based smart TV as deivce ? i.e. Philip 55PUS7909 ?

I'm trying to connect my audio chain to that TV without great success. The smart tv device doesn't accept any USB transport nor DAC.

The only option is to use the s/pdif optical output.

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: question about Android and 24bit audio
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 08:00:28 am »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if maybe someone could help me understand how Android handles hi-res audio.

Currently I am on kitkat 4.4.2 and I can play back 24 bit files (namely 2ch 24/88.2 and 24/96). However, I remember reading somewhere that android 5.0 introduced some changes related to support of 24 bit audio and that previous versions didn't support it properly. So my question is do I have to update my device to Lollipop in order to listen to hi-res audio natively? On 4.4.2 it does get converted to 16/44.1, right? Or do I understand it wrong?

Thanks

It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.   I have a Samsung tab 3 8" running 5.01 and it doesn't seem to do 24bit without other changes (through rooting and enabling USB developer mode) it otherwise down samples as does every device below lollipop.  It's not real simple to work out unfortunately as some manufacturers have gimped DAC support in Lollipop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up