INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exasound e28 and multichannel distance compensation.  (Read 4705 times)

electro

Exasound e28 and multichannel distance compensation.
« on: October 29, 2015, 06:38:14 am »

I was recommended to look at JRiver by the UK importer of the Exasound e28. I tested this last year and didn't go ahead for the following reasons.

I am trying to get high quality multi-channel analogue outputs to feed into my ANALOGUE multichannel Parasound P7 preamp. This has no HDMI inputs or any digital processing whatsoever, i's just and analogue switching system and pre amp.

My speakers are setup in the ITU shape but the rears are much closer to the listening position than the fronts.

I have over a 1000 DSD rips from mainly classical and jazz SACD's and I therefore need to implement distance compensation and level adjustment in the DSD domain. To my knowledge, after years of looking out for this there are a very limited number of disc players that can achieve this. Sony SCD XA9000ES and Denon DVDA!XV for example. (Both of which I have) The Oppo's cannot do this (i own a 105 - this converts to PCM 24/88 to achieve this- it certainly isn't audibly transparent).

I just downloaded a demo version of JRiver and noticed that it has distance compensation for speakers under the DSP options.

1. Can it do this without conversion to PCM (I imagine not)
2. Does it convert at 24/88 or at a much higher frequency e.g. DXD (352khz) to minimise loses
2. Does it even do this for DSD material or is the DSP bypassed altogether
3. Is anyone using the e28 on the Mac in multichannel
4. Do I need extra plugins to achieve this.

Thanks for any help.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Exasound e28 and multichannel distance compensation.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 06:50:21 am »

MC does not perform any processing in the DSD domain, processing is all performed in PCM, however we use appropriately high sample rates for DSD->PCM conversions to avoid any audio degradation, ie. 172.4kHz for DSD64, 352.8kHz for DSD128  (and so on), and everything in 64-bit.
Note that I would not recommend to convert back to DSD after processing, a DSD -> PCM -> DSD chain is likely going to cost more quality than a simple DSD -> PCM chain and letting the DAC handle that.

We offer a fully featured 30 day trial which you can use to test all the functionality as much as you want.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 08:23:23 am »

It's my understanding that standard DSD (1x DSD or DSD64) is converted to 352.8 kHz PCM internally.  Am I mistaken?

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 08:30:38 am »

You are right, my math was off. The PCM sample rate is the DSD sample rate divided by 8, so for DSD64 thats 2.822MHz / 8, so 352.8kHz.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

electro

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 11:58:35 am »

MC does not perform any processing in the DSD domain, processing is all performed in PCM, however we use appropriately high sample rates for DSD->PCM conversions to avoid any audio degradation, ie. 172.4kHz for DSD64, 352.8kHz for DSD128  (and so on), and everything in 64-bit.
Note that I would not recommend to convert back to DSD after processing, a DSD -> PCM -> DSD chain is likely going to cost more quality than a simple DSD -> PCM chain and letting the DAC handle that.

We offer a fully featured 30 day trial which you can use to test all the functionality as much as you want.

Interesting. I have downloaded the trial, I will now try out the Exasound e28 and report back.
Thank you for the responses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up