INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: want to use both spdif for stereo and hdmi for multi-channel or audio with video  (Read 2387 times)

Tucker8715

• Recent member

I have both SPDIF and HDMI outs from my computer running into the same input on my av receiver.  (each input has analog, SPDIF, and HDMI connections).  The receiver supposedly has priority for the HDMI, then SPDIF, then analog.  So it ignores analog and SPDIF if it sees an HDMI signal on a given input and ignores analog if there is an SPDIF or HDMI signal.  This works fine with Winamp but not with Media Center.  The only way I can get the receiver to switch to SPDIF if it has been previously set to HDMI is to manually disconnect and re-plug the HDMI cable at the computer , or use Winamp first and then start play from Media Center.  Closing and restarting MC doesn't help.  I have tried setting the Windows 7 HDMI sound to disabled but Media Center still will not work until I do one of the above.  Very annoying.  Any suggestions?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe

Just guessing on this one, but have you tried to set up separate zones ? one for each output? Then use Zone Switch and set up rules to stop playback automatically in the HDMI zone, when playing SPDIF output. (see the wiki on this if not).  Might do the trick. I don't know why this works with winamp and not with MC, btw

I'm also a bit confused at the design of your receiver though you say
(each input has analog, SPDIF, and HDMI connections).
I'm interpreting that to mean by "each" that you do have multiple inputs, each one handling HDMI in first position?  If that is the case, why not use 2 inputs. Even if you could connect 2 sources, why would you want to connect both cables to the same input? Or did I misunderstand and your receiver only has one input?

Tucker8715

• Recent member

I'll post here despite > 120 day lapse as someone may find this in a search.

I have plumb run out of inputs but what you suggest may work so I'll try it. If it works I can probably give up on one or more sources since having both HDMI and SPDIF outputs from the computer is probably higher priority than some.

Thanks

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe

You might also consider an inexpensive HDMI switcher to run before your AVR.  HDMI switches with a remote control seem to start at under $20 at monoprice.  As an example.  Good luck with your setup.

Brian.

Tucker8715

• Recent member

Good idea.  I think I even have a spare HDMI switch, which I can allocate to one of the lesser used inputs on the AVR.

-Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up