INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get DSD bitstreaming to OPPO HA-2 to work  (Read 5253 times)

robb42

• Recent member
Can't get DSD bitstreaming to OPPO HA-2 to work
« on: October 29, 2015, 05:43:06 pm »

Hello,

I'm trying to get MC to stream DSD directly to an OPPO HA-2 headphone amp (connects via USB).  In MC, I have the Audio Device set to the HA-2, "Bitstreaming" setting set to "DSD", and "Output Encoding" set to "None".  When I play back any DSF file, I get distortion (but can hear the music underneath the distortion).

Is this a known problem, or user error?

If I turn off "Bitstreaming", it plays fine but the audio path indicates it is sending PCM, not DSD, to the DAC, so I presume some sort of conversion is going on.
Also, I've tried another player (Audirvana) and it seems to stream the DSD directly to the HA-2 without issues.

Any help appreciated.  I'm running the latest OSX/El Capitan, and MC 21.0.8

robb42

• Recent member
Re: Can't get DSD bitstreaming to OPPO HA-2 to work
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 07:15:57 pm »

Found the problem, it was a setting in the "Audio MIDI Setup" dialog on the Mac.   The format for the OPPO-HA-2 was set to "2ch-16bit Integer".  Setting it to "2ch-32bit Integer" fixed the problem.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 07:40:36 pm »

That's good to know.  I thought the Audio MIDI settings essentially had zero effect when MC was talking to the device.  Seems like setting to the maximum bit depth might be important.  I'll keep that in mind for future DSD configuration on Mac.  :)

Brian.

PDP8User

• Recent member
  • I may be old but I don't remember being senile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 07:12:20 am »

Thanks, guys, that helped me with my HA-2. Now sounds great:-)
Just a note to those reading this - you may not see the 32-bit option if your HA-2 is on earlier firmware than v6.76. See the Oppo website: https://www.oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-2/headphone-amplifier-HA-2-Support.aspx  for details.
Brian
Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up