INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bulk Edit Delete Partial Text in a Tag  (Read 2456 times)

dreandre

• Junior Woodchuck
Bulk Edit Delete Partial Text in a Tag
« on: November 01, 2015, 11:13:37 pm »

Hello All,

I have quite a few files that I would like to rename in the "Name" Tag.  Currently, the names have the episode number along with the episode title in the "Name" tag (012 - The Beast Within).  Is there a way to bulk edit the tag, and remove extra text from the names (012 - ) leaving just the title (The Beast Within)?

Thanks!!!

dreandre

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Bulk Edit Delete Partial Text in a Tag
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 11:24:55 pm »

Even though I would like to know if it's possible to do this, I've actually realized that I can sync the info for the online databases that will rename the titles, if I pre-enter the season and episode numbers.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 12:01:13 am »

yes it is possible. it depends on how constant the first part is that you want to remove. if its always six characters '012 - ' (including spaces) a RemoveLeft ([name],6) would do the job. if it always uses a '-' Listitem () could be a possibility depending if there '-' is used at other places. I guess regex () could do it, but I never understood that expression.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Expression_Language

:)
gab

dreandre

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 12:16:50 am »

Awesome, I thought it might be an expression of some sort.  Do I type the expression directly in the tag field?  I have only used expressions when using the file rename feature, but never yet with the tags.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 03:08:57 am »

I find the easiest way of doing this without REGEX is by using the the Library Tool "Find & Replace".

eg click right on selected files and type "(012 - "or "012 - " in the find what box --  then in the Replace box leave it empty or type "(" depending on what works best for you  -- no quotes of course -- see screen shot below

I always click the check none button first to make sure I've cleared all fields then select the field you want to edit.

The pain for this would be that if you have 24 episodes ... you'd have to do this 24 times (or more i you have some episodes (1) and some with (01).

Best to test this with one or two series first. If you mess up this can be reversed by using "Undo". Back-up your library just in case beforehand if you are going to be selecting lots of files

A regex expression might be able to do this in one shot if there are never any other parentheses in the names, but not sure there is actually a constant in all your episode names. Doubtful it is always x characters form the left etc. here's a neat little tutorial from Brian https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97996.0 .... if you repost and say need help with a regex expression he might pick up on it.

Using the find replace tool might be more of a pain, but I'd be finished with using the Find Replace tool before I figured out the expression  ;D

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 07:28:18 am »

If the Name fields are somewhat consistent, then regex can definitely do it.  If it's always several numbers, followed by an optional space, followed by a dash, and then the stuff you want to keep, I'm relatively certain I/we/you can cook up a regex that will work on that.  In fact....

Code: [Select]
regex([name],/#\d+\s*-\s*(.+)#/,1,0)
That should work.  Test it in an expression column and see what it outputs.  If the output is correct you can paste it, with an = in front of it, right into the [Name] field to change [Name] to this expression instead.

Brian.

Pages: [1]   Go Up