INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Art and Editing  (Read 1521 times)

waldoworks

Album Art and Editing
« on: November 03, 2015, 12:36:18 pm »

Starting 2 yrs. ago I painstakingly went out on web image searches to copy all missing and incorrect album art in iTunes. My library is over 1,000 cd's and nearly 30% needed inclusion or editing, to give you the scale of the task, especially on some obcscure classical recordings. This was after purging all non essential MP3's and ripping my entire library in ALAC. All are now correctly represented and accounted for in iTunes but many are still missing in my SONOS controller. When looking into Windows Explorer files those same covers missing in SONOS are un-thumbnailed in the Windows files. I am sure it is a sizing issue when copying and pasting into iTunes, it is not an issue in iTunes and is in Windows.

As I wait for delivery for my PS Audio Bridge II that will be served by the JRiver controller, and before I go through the time consuming task of redoes on the album art, the Q is:

Does JRiver pull the album art from the meta data in the Windows file or out on the web? And what are the sizing requirements?

The good news for me is that if I do need to replace resized unrepresented artwork in Windows I can isolate the ones needing attention by looking in the SONOS app under Albums instead of back and forth in Windows. The file extensions for album art are encrypted to an unrecognized format in any of the many graphic and photo programs I own (itc2).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Album Art and Editing
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 01:48:34 pm »

You have a lot of possible causes of the problem.   In MC, you can chose to store the art in the file, or not.  ALAC probably doesn't work well with Windows.

The wiki has a topic on cover art.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Album Art and Editing
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 02:02:18 pm »

Does JRiver pull the album art from the meta data in the Windows file or out on the web? And what are the sizing requirements?

MC can read and write cover art embedded in song files.  I do this with all of my FLAC files.  I don't think there are any size restrictions.  I have no ALAC files.  But, as a test, I just downloaded a test ALAC from Linn Records and added a GIANT cover to it.  The image file was more than 2000 x 2000.  I imported it into MC and MC sees the art just fine.

So I would say MC can read art embedded in ALACs just like FLAC and others with seemingly no reasonable limit on image file dimensions.

You could certainly create a test library and import some portion of your ALAC files, and try to include some of the ones that don't show cover art in Windows explorer.  That would be the best test to see if MC can read the cover art inside your files.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up