INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subtitles: How to turn them off using DLNA (and how they work in general)  (Read 5033 times)

dreandre

• Junior Woodchuck

The Setup:

I have 3 zones that I use regularly... Player, Working, and HomeTV. Both Player and Working launch in the MC display window, while HomeTV sends the signal to my Samsung Smart TV. (See Capture 1)

When Subtitles are visible and I'm watching in MC display window, I can right click on the display and I get the subtitle menu.  The subtitle is on by default and I can select off (See Capture 2)

Then there are other Subtitle settings:
Like the "Playback Info" file in the tag area (See Capture 3)
The Option/Video section (See Capture 4)
The Option/Media Network/Add or Configure DLNA Servers... under Advanced has a checkbox (See Capture 5)

None of these options seem to affect the subtitles that are displayed on my HomeTV (See Capture 6)

On my TV, the subtitles setting that can be accessed during playback is disabled (although when I copy the subtitle file into the same folder as the movie/show I'm watching, and name it exactly the same, the subtitle setting becomes enabled on my TV).

The Problem/Question:

Specifically, how do I get the subtitles turned off on files when I watch them to my TV.  More broadly, can anyone explain the uses for all of these multiple subtitle adjustments and how to use each of them?  It would also be nice if you relate to jargon associated with Subtitles with the features available (i.e. Global Subtitles, forced Subtitles, hard/soft, and other descriptors)....

I'm OK with just the specific answer....  Thanks for responding!!

P.S.  Didn't know how to embed the images so they are all attachments...    ?

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
Re: Subtitles: How to turn them off using DLNA (and how they work in general)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 08:38:34 pm »

Great question... I am also interested in the response

dave

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:43:18 pm »

The Option/Media Network/Add or Configure DLNA Servers... under Advanced has a checkbox (See Capture 5)

I have a Samsung TV that is visible to MC as a DLNA device, but is also connected via HDMI to my HTPC, so I don't have exactly your setup. Therefore, my system may operate differently.

I ensured that I had a TV Show with Subtitles at the beginning, and turned on, to test.
I then ticked both the "Present Captions Resources" and "Present Subtitles Resources" that you have in your image Capture5.
I then clicked on my Samsung TV zone under Playing Now, to make the Samsung the default playing zone, and then double clicked the TV show in Standard View to get the show to play on the Samsung, via DLNA. The TV switched to its DLNA input and started playing the show with Subtitles visible.
Up to here, all I have been doing is setting up the way you have, even though I don't have a separate screen for MC.

While the show was playing I pressed the Return/OK/Enter button on the Samsung TV's remote, which then shows the Pause, Rewind, etc. buttons on screen. The last button on that screen is the Settings button.
Selecting the Settings button pops up a menu, the top item of which is the Subtitle item.
Selecting the Subtitle item using the Samsung remote showed that Subtitles were turned on. I turned them off. Exiting the menu, the Subtitles were no longer displayed on screen.

Note that I tried to turn the Subtitles back on using the above menu, but despite the setting changing to "On", the Subtitles didn't return. I suspect that the Subtitles item needs to be turned on when playback is started. Stopping the show and restarting it using my HTPC remote restarted the Subtitles, but also restarted the show from the beginning.
Note also that the Subtitles button on my Samsung remote, then one that would normally turn on Teletext and Subtitles for OTA broadcasts, did not have any effect when doing this testing.

So basically, use the MC DLNA settings to turn on Subtitles for the DLNA server in MC. Then use the Samsung DLNA Client functions to turn off the Subtitles if you don't want them for a particular program. BTW, I am assuming that you want Subtitles normally turned on for these shows, or you could just turn them off for the particular file from inside MC. If Subtitles are off for a file in MC, they won't show up on the DLNA Client, at least in my environment.

As for the definition of all the Subtitle Jargon, Google is your friend.

P.S.  Didn't know how to embed the images so they are all attachments...    ?

It is better to attach the files as you have, rather than embed them most of the time. That way users who view the forum only download a thumbnail of the file unless the deliberately click on the thumbnail to view the larger image. That speeds up viewing of the forum, and reduces the download size for users.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

dreandre

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 05:35:39 pm »

Thanks for the reply Roderick... .the funny thing is, when I went to fire up the same show again and go through the suggestions you make, the subtitles are now gone on my Home TV.  This makes me think that it's must be some kind of refresh thing once I make changes.  or maybe a reboot situation....

The suggestions that you gave about your Samsung set up doesn't work for mine.  Probably because it's not HDMI like you said.  The subtitle and settings button are both disabled.

I may play with this more a see if I can isolate exactly how to turn them on and off when playing in my TV.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 06:32:21 pm »

While I do normally use a HDMI connection from my HTPC to the TV, during these tests I was using a network connection and DLNA, as you are using.

As I mentioned, you do need to make sure that Subtitles work on the MC display first, before they will work on a TV via DLNA. Maybe you had tuned them off for your test file? Or turned off the DLNA Resources required?

Also, it is strange that your Setting button is disabled on your Samsung. There are some security settings in the TV that may have restricted access.

Keep playing. I'm sure you'll work it out.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up