INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Direct3D - Device Lost  (Read 4117 times)

dhdezzo

• Recent member
Direct3D - Device Lost
« on: October 14, 2015, 01:31:38 pm »

I recently upgraded to Window 10 and JRiver 21 and started experiencing an occasional problem and I don't know which upgrade is responsible. I'm also beyond the 30 day reversion period for Windows 10 to Windows 8.1.

I always run JRiver in Theatre mode and sleep my computer when not using it. Sometimes when it wakes up, the screen will stay black with an error message in the middle of the screen (apparently part of JRiver) and it says something along the lines of "Direct3D (device lost)". Next time it happens, I will take full note of the entire text of the error and post it. At this point JRiver does not respond and the screen stays black. The remote will not do anything, the mouse functions and I can get out of the program if I use the keyboard. If I restart JRiver, it runs super slow when navigating through the menu...like it's in slow motion. The only way to make it work properly is to restart the computer.

I did some searching on the issues with DirectX and Direct3D and updated the Intel graphics drivers to the most current version. This did not help. Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?

dhdezzo

• Recent member
Re: Direct3D - Device Lost
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 04:00:27 pm »

The error is centred on the middle of a black screen and the exact error message is;

Error drawing using Direct3D
             (device lost)

I will post a log if I can get it to consistently happen. Does anyone know what might be a fix? I haven't made any configuration changes to jriver yet but might try soon.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 04:09:51 pm »

That's a video card driver error.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

GaryM

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 05:35:56 pm »

I bet you have an Nvidia graphics card right? Their current drivers are unstable. Gamers know this big time. I'm just in the process of changing over to a Radeon card to see if I can stabilise things. I did get it quite good by doing a reset on Windows 10 (sets it back to equiv to a fresh install) then using the Guru3d graphics driver uninstaller to make sure the registry was clean. Then install latest Nvidia driver. I also disabled Windows defender, and turned off the firewall. With all of that it has been mostly stable. But I still get that error occasionally.

dhdezzo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 06:15:53 pm »

It's actually an Intel HD 4000 graphics card in a Lenova i3 laptop.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 06:31:19 pm »

It's still likely to be a driver problem.  An Internet search might tell you whether other people see the problem.

Theater View uses 3D drawing, which is different than most media players.  It is what games use.

Here's another problem that is similar:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100712.msg699268#msg699268

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 05:13:24 pm »

It's actually an Intel HD 4000 graphics card in a Lenova i3 laptop.

Unfortunately, laptops are the most difficult to get appropriately updated drivers for... Since you have a Lenovo, you might be able to do it with relatively less pain by using their ThinkVantage updater:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht003029

If they don't have a Windows 10 update for your Laptop, you might be stuck. In general, the Intel-provided "generic" drivers for GPUs do not work well on most laptop models, and this includes the ones from Windows Update (if you went that route).  Those are tested for very basic functionality only, and many other things will break. Some of the most common things that break are:
* Direct3D support (which impacts mostly games, but also MC in Theater View)
* Multiple monitor support
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dhdezzo

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 01:36:50 pm »

I solved my problem by doing fresh install of Windows 8.1. Since this computer is only used as a HTPC, it doesn't need the most up to date operating system.

jjazdk

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 05:30:32 am »

I have seen a similar issue a few times, after the upgraded MadVR arrived.

I use an ATI gfxcard and Windows8.1.

Mine showed as pixellation during a movie and then the error came on the screen.
Working on my 12 channel JRiver entertainment center :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up