INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename, Move & Copy does not move folder.jpg and other ancillary files  (Read 3112 times)

jacobacci

• Galactic Citizen

I have changed the tagging scheme of my classical library (15'000 tracks). Now I would like to move my files to a clean directory structure according to the new tags. I tried R,M&C, but it only moved the flac files and left folder.jpg and other ancillary files in the original location. I have checked "Move all files in folder (including non-imported files".
Am I missing something here?

Ideally I would like R,M&C to move all files in the old directory to the new location and then delete the old directory.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Rename, Move & Copy does not move folder.jpg and other ancillary files
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 04:25:22 pm »

RMC does NOT move ANY file that has been imported!

When I did a large RMC I made a new library that ONLY imports audio, then all the ancillaries will move

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 06:08:24 pm »

RMC does NOT move ANY file that has been imported!

Yep. That's it.

If you set MC to import your disk locations fully (including JPG and other common sidecar files) then it will have those ancillary files in your Library.  RMCF's Move all files in folder feature does work, but it will only touch files that MC hasn't imported.

If MC has imported the file, then it is a "tracked asset" and you must explicitly choose the files and apply the changes to them with the RMCF tool. Otherwise, the links to those files in MC's Library would break (or it would be too easy to accidentally cause havoc with your entire Library).

More is covered in the article:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files#Files_That_Will_Be_Processed
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jacobacci

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 02:30:11 am »

Thanks ferday and glynor. Now I understand why the files are not being moved.
In RM&C I have set both checkmarks as shown in glynor's link http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files#Files_That_Will_Be_Processed
How would I "explicitly choose" the folder.jpg and other ancillary files? I have found no option to do that so far.

Also just had another issue:
- moved an SACD ISO file to the new location / directory
- tried to change a tag of the file
- got an error message that the file could not be found
- saw that in the mouse over window with the path, the file is listed as file.sacd and not as file.iso

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 12:52:09 pm »

you need to set up a view that explicitly sees all files (media type), and also make sure the files of interest are definitely in the MC "list of files to work with"

when i did an initial massive (>200K file) move with RMC i just made a new library that ONLY sees audio files, absolutely nothing else.  then imported all my files, did the move, then went back to the old library and re-scanned with the original auto import settings (and changed path names etc. if necessary).  there may be a more elegant way of doing it, but it worked and gave me a personal level of comfort that nothing weird was going to happen

now, to maintain this, i have a specific set of "incoming" folders that ONLY see audio, or video, or images etc. then i do my tagging there, and once i move them into the main library auto-import takes care of the rest

jacobacci

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 02:08:11 am »

Thanks ferday, I will look at the way to import ONLY the audio files once I have sorted this out.

The good news:
I have found a way to solve my problem for all the non SACD ISO files. I use RM&C to copy them to a new location, in my case Music_working_directory. There I now have the directory structure which reflects the new tags I have applied for classical and the copied files have all the correct tags. All the anciallary files except folder.jpg get copied alright. Then I use mp3tag to extract the covers in the tags to folder.jpg. Recopy back and reimport into JRiver. So far so good.

What is a BIG problem is that SACD ISOs are neither playble nor taggable after they get moved. I would really apprecite it, if one of the masters of the universe could look into this.
Thanks a lot

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 07:58:45 am »

Here is a thread discussing the issue with moving SACD ISO files.  I believe the solution in the second post works.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96837.0

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up