INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multizoning video signals?  (Read 2019 times)

Mads_H

• Recent member
Multizoning video signals?
« on: September 05, 2003, 08:24:24 am »

I might be showcasing my hardware ignorance - but anyway  - is multizoning possible for the videosignal as well, can you choose output (ie. multiple graphic cards and individual output on single card) as is possible with sound?

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
Re: Multizoning video signals?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 08:55:08 am »

AFAIK it is impossible to run 2 GFX cards simultainiosly...

You can run a dual head card and export or close the overlay etc...

What are you trying to accomplish ?  
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Mads_H

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 12:50:51 pm »

I want to figure out if I somehow can make one computer serve all needs in my entire house.
Another problem would be, how to watch two different tv channels at the same time.
Multizoning is the solution to some of the problems, media server an other solutions, but for the complete "home-media-server" there seems to me, to be some problems still.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 07:38:50 pm »

How serious are you about this ?

It can be done but needs processing power at the 'nodes' so that it will not be a one machine solution (but to expect a multi source whole home video distribution system out of one machine is too much IMHO)is a no no...

Small form factor machines are common now... With hibernate features yuu can have very fast boot times...

Snapstream and SageTV can IIRC do multiple streams throughout a home (as does the less elegant but cheaper VideoLan)... As I understand it Snapstream looks better but Sage may Sage have the edge in under the hood power...

Certainly running multiple input streams to output nodes... Performing PVR work scheduling from the nodes for the server to process... Feeding those streams with the usual PVR abilities to the nodes... These things can be done... They are however pretty cutting edge for PC based whole home video distro and being on the bleeding edge can be painful if what you are trying to do is set up a family friendly system...

I would say that unless you are very familiar with the topic or are doing this for the fun of it, pay for a reliable quote on a standard video distribution network from a Home Automation installer, your family will thank you (as will the custom installers whose son you probably put through college :) )... And thats coming from one of those early adopters !!!
HTPC Front ends  

Mads_H

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 11:20:54 pm »

I guess I will stay with mc and wait till cutting edge comes this way.
Could I somehow use a handheld pc for both remote and as a node with wireless connection to a monitor or/and an audio device  (both multizoning and media server)? That is a solution a little closer to reality and media center - or not?
My question came, after looking at Mastiff's setup and wondering what happend with the videosignal - all that setup just for sound...

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2003, 01:54:42 am »

I guess there is no reason why a tablet PC could not be the node (not a great viewing device though and would work out a lot more expensive than cheaper small form factor PC's as the nodes)... However 802.11b would not be enough bandwidth for video... Perhaps 802.11g would be OK...

This would be a very expensive way to solve this though... The $600 progears would be too weak for SW playback of archived video IMHO... Next step up from those tend to be >1k USD per node !!!
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up