INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV channels error  (Read 4672 times)

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
TV channels error
« on: November 05, 2015, 01:57:58 pm »

This PC: Bedroom HTPC as a Client.
TV Tuners: Internal Hauppauge and external HD Homerun. Both are ATSC over the air.
All wired Ethernet.

Everything had been working great!

After I moved my new TV, existing receiver and existing PC to a different stand in my bedroom I fired up JRiver (Latest Beta) to check functionality.

Could not connect to server... ahh .. small hub not plugged back in.

Connect to server, select Television, double click station: TV station would not tune.

All 4 tuners show up as devices.

Server PC, which uses HD Homerun could tune stations.

Rescan of channels showed no stations.

Reset all TV stepped through, but still no channels and did not clear guide.

Tried as last effort to troubleshoot i tried the Hauppauge utility and it worked fine bringing in a station.

Any ideas???

Was just going to reload MC but thought you may want a log or info.

Ken

If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: TV channels error
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 02:37:37 pm »

Is the Hauppauge internal device on the server of client?

Did you try changing the order of tuners?  Does HDHomerun work on the client?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 03:33:58 pm »

"Does HDHomerun work on the client?" Not with JR, only with Hauppauge software, which I forgot i even had on there... Just tried it to help troubleshoot.

Hauppauge (2250) is internal on client.

I did pick one channel and assigned each tuner (2 internal 2250 & 2 HD homerun) to it with the same results.

The channel worked on the Server.

Channel scan using all 4 tuners (2 internal 2250 & 2 HD homerun) turned up nothing.

Also rebooted.. ;)

Everything was working great. Only thing I can think of is MC started without the HD Homerun external tuner available, because I forgot to plug in the hub.

Also thought the Setup - "Reset all television settings" would of reset my guide. So it was kind of weird to do a scan, find no channels and still have a guide.

Ken

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 03:38:30 pm »

Also thought the Setup - "Reset all television settings" would of reset my guide. So it was kind of weird to do a scan, find no channels and still have a guide.

Setup asks you whether you want to reset channels, guide and all settings (three checkboxes).  If you choose to reset channels, MC should also reset the guide (at least that checkbox is automatically checked when reset channels checkbox is checked).

However, since you are using the computer as a client, there could be something strange happening.  I am not sure what it would do.  The guide data are from the server.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 03:42:26 pm »

Grab a log of either playing a channel, or scanning for channels.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 04:01:40 pm »

Setup asks you whether you want to reset channels, guide and all settings (three checkboxes).
I assumed "Reset all" would reset... well.... all. I now see that the 2 checkboxes above are not included in "all". ::)

I did have the Local Library of this PC set up with television also. It also acted the same.

Will do, as soon as I return home.

Ken

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 05:19:41 pm »

I assumed "Reset all" would reset... well.... all. I now see that the 2 checkboxes above are not included in "all". ::)

I did have the Local Library of this PC set up with television also. It also acted the same.

Will do, as soon as I return home.

Ken

I see the confusion.  Resetting all settings is separate from removing channels and programs (which are not settings, but are data).

In retrospect, what you did was correct if your computer was connected to a server.  As a client, the channels and programs displayed are actually from the server.  It makes sense not to remove them.  So checking the two upper boxes actually would not make sense (unless you enabled allowing a client to modify your database, and wanted to reset the data on the server).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 05:43:51 pm »

I'm still a little confused about your set up.

Are all those tuners installed in or dedicated to the MC Server, or are one or more of them in or dedicated to your Bedroom Client PC?

If you have TV Tuners physically in, or network tuners assigned to a MC Client, you must use a local database on the Client to use those tuners, and set up TV in that local database.

If you have TV Tuners in a MC Client but connect to a MC Server, then setup TV for the local tuners, the database synchronisation of the Server database to the Client will wipe out your TV setup each time you start the Client.

Could the above be something to do with what you are seeing?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 07:51:56 pm »

ok... here we go..

The Bedroom PC (as client to Main PC) contains a Hauppauge 2250 (2 Tuners) internal, and has access to a HD Homerun (2 tuners) as Network Tuner.

What I have determined:

Plugging antenna into FM port of 2250 doesn't work.  :-[ (User bad and root of problem from disconnecting during relocation)

Scanning for stations on Bedroom PC using all 4 tuners (two HD Homerun tuners, working properly, and two 2250 tuners, with 2250 not connected properly and not working) will not hinder any results.

Scanning for channels on Bedroom PC with just the two HD Homerun tuners resulted in correct channels being identified.

My confusion stems from scanning all 4 tuners, with 2250 incorrectly connected and the HD Homerun working, resulting in no stations found. I was thinking that the scan was using all the tuners, Hauppauge 2250 (2 Tuners) internal and HD Homerun (2 tuners), in the scan. It did not seem that any of the tuners were working.

I could of been alerted to my error if the resulting scan could of showed the results..  For example: 2250 no channels, HD Homerun Channels 4, 4.1 , 5, 5.1 ect...

I realize now that the Server can not serve the 2250 tuners that are internal to the client PC (Bedroom PC). ::)

I am thinking this might be a good case for a shared library. I listen to my music on the Bedroom PC, I need access to my Main PC library, but to utilize all 4 of my tuners I need a "Local library".

Installation of the 2250 on the server "Main PC " is not an option as it is a mATX mobo.

That's all for now...

PS... Thank you for your precious time Yaobing...

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 08:05:53 pm »

Having tuners on a client is not an ideal setup.  The tuner can not be used for recording while the computer is acting as a client.  You can schedule recording using the client computer (assuming you allow the client to change the server's database through database synch'ing.  The scheduled recording however will only happen on the server, using your networked tuners.  So your Hauppauge tuners can only be used for watching TV live.

Regarding channels and programs, since all your tuners are ATSC, you can just it up on one computer (preferably server).  The client will use the shared database to get channels and programming info you will be able to watch channels live on it.

The best thing to do is to put all tuners on the server.  There are users whose setup do not allow this (for example the server is located where there is no antenna connection) though. When I finally get around to it, I will make it so that the client can record too (the user must setup a shared harddrive for TV recording, with identical drive letter).

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 08:17:46 pm »

The best thing to do is to put all tuners on the server.

Yes.. as Stated this is not possible due to MB limitations.

When I finally get around to it, I will make it so that the client can record too

This would be Ideal!! The WAF would increase dramatically... ;D and also would be a function that WMC did not have... recording to a network drive.. Well from a client that is...

Ken

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 08:36:46 pm »

Plugging antenna into FM port of 2250 doesn't work.

That would explain a lot!  ;D ;D ;D

Scanning for stations on Bedroom PC using all 4 tuners (two HD Homerun tuners, working properly, and two 2250 tuners, with 2250 not connected properly and not working) will not hinder any results.

My confusion stems from scanning all 4 tuners, with 2250 incorrectly connected and the HD Homerun working, resulting in no stations found. I was thinking that the scan was using all the tuners, Hauppauge 2250 (2 Tuners) internal and HD Homerun (2 tuners), in the scan. It did not seem that any of the tuners were working.

As all your channels are ATSC, and MC only needs to use one tuner to do the scanning for each signal type, I suspect MC was trying to scan using one of your Hauppauge 2250 tuners . . . which had the antenna plugged into the incorrect socket! That would result in no channels being found at all, which is what you saw.

Until Yaobing makes the changes required for Client recording, you could make your Bedroom PC the server, and assign all tuners to that PC. Then make the existing Server PC a Client instead.
Or you could add another HD Homerun Network Tuner and assign it to the Server PC, so you still had four tuners available to the server. Then use the Hauppauge 2250 only for live TV on a local database.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 09:23:11 pm »

That would explain a lot!  ;D ;D ;D

Yea... Whatever... ;D

My "Main PC" is my server... and will remain my server as this is where I do all my computing.

I was thinking if I used a shared library with my "Bedroom PC" i could utilize the 4 tuners. I could point my 'Bedroom PC" to the library maintained by my "Main PC".

I need to contemplate this a bit...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 09:55:13 pm »

I was thinking if I used a shared library with my "Bedroom PC" i could utilize the 4 tuners. I could point my 'Bedroom PC" to the library maintained by my "Main PC".

By shared library, do you mean a library on the Server synchronised with the Client using MC's Media Server features? Or something else, like copying a library between PCs, or pointing the Client to the Server library using mapped drives (bad idea if both are running at once), or something?

If you mean a normal Server library where the Server holds the primary copy of the library, and the Client gets a refreshed copy every time it is loaded, and is then synchronised back to the Server during a Client session, or manually; then you can't use your Bedroom PC Hauppauge 2250 internal Tuners from the Server. That's what Yaobing said back here;
Having tuners on a client is not an ideal setup.  The tuner can not be used for recording while the computer is acting as a client.  You can schedule recording using the client computer (assuming you allow the client to change the server's database through database synch'ing.  The scheduled recording however will only happen on the server, using your networked tuners.  So your Hauppauge tuners can only be used for watching TV live.

I'll add that you can only use your Hauppauge tuners for watching TV live on the Client when you are running the Client as a standalone copy of MC on a local library, unless you want to set up TV Channels, EPG, etc. every time you start the Bedroom PC as a Client, and want to watch TV using the Hauppauge tuners. The Client TV Channel and EPG setup is not synchronised back to the Server. If it was, it would overwrite the TV Channel and EPG setup already on the Server.

At least that is the current state of functionality.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 01:13:32 pm »

A bit more clarification.

Your server has access to only two tuners, thus you can only use those two tuners for recording.

Your client has access to all 4 tuners, but you can not use them for recording on the client, unless you switch that computer to stand-alone (not connect it to the server).  On a client, you can use any locally accessible tuner to watch TV live.  To watch TV live on a client, you do not need to setup a local library for that.  The channels and programs that you set up on the server will be copied over to the client, you can just use them (since they are all ATSC channels).  You should just order the tuners on the client so that the Hauppauge tuners are ordered higher than the HDHomerun tuners.  That way the client will not be competing with the server for tuners. 

In your current situation, to maximize your recording capacity, you need to switch the "Bedroom PC" to standalone and use its own local library.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 01:23:27 pm »

Thanks again for your time Yaobing.

I have since figured out much of what you have described. The ability to have all 4 tuners record is not really an issue. Reordering the tuners to the 2 internal tuners first is a great idea as not to interfere with a recording on the server using the network tuners.

The greatest change for me, will be when we can schedule a recording from the client!!  ;D WAF points you know... 8)

If I may be so bold to ask, what is the challenge with letting a client schedule a recording on a server?

Ken

Pages: [1]   Go Up