INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DNLA - a comment and a question  (Read 4841 times)

Aimhere

• Junior Woodchuck
  • These are not the droids you're looking for.
DNLA - a comment and a question
« on: November 05, 2015, 09:37:03 pm »

Hi,

I'm playing around with using MC as a DNLA server to watch my TV shows on my LG Smart TV.

At first, the Media Network DNLA server grouped ALL episodes of a show into a single folder. One would think it would by default break each show down by season, but nooo... However, I figured out how to make it do so: In "Options/Media Network/Add or configure DNLA servers...", "Customize views...", for the item "Video/Shows", it defaults to a single category "Programs". I had to add a second category "Seasons", type "Expression", configured to use "TVInfo(SeasonDisplay)" as the expression to group by. (I figured out the correct expression by referring to the Wiki.)

So, now it displays the shows in sub-folders grouped by season, as expected.

But now I have a question: within each season folder, it displays each episode with the episode title (as stored in MC's library) beneath the thumbnails. However, I'd also like it to display the episode numbers in addition to the episode titles, or alternatively, display the actual filename (which already contains the SxxExx notation). Is there any way to do this?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DNLA - a comment and a question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 11:48:13 pm »

Well, you got further than I did. I couldn't even get my Samsung TV to display Season groupings, except by drilling down through the folder structure on my hard drive. All attempts to have the TV display the Program/Series -> Season -> Episode just resulted in display of Program/Series -> Episode.

I suspect that the reason is related to the capabilities of the DLNA renderer, our TVs in this case. I couldn't find any way in MC to display the Episode number anyway.

If you want to understand more about what your TV can do as a DLNA renderer, take a look at AndrewFG's Media Renderer Analyser. It may help clarify capabilities.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 12:58:48 pm »

But now I have a question: within each season folder, it displays each episode with the episode title (as stored in MC's library) beneath the thumbnails. However, I'd also like it to display the episode numbers in addition to the episode titles, or alternatively, display the actual filename (which already contains the SxxExx notation). Is there any way to do this?

A Content Directory Server (in this case MC) must provide a track Title. And the Control Point (in this case your TV) usually displays this. A CDS may in addition provide other tags (in the case of MC, it provides almost all of the available tags). And the Control Point may display some of those too. However it looks as if your TV does not have any capability to display any additional tags. So for you the "solution" is to change the Title of your tracks in MC to include whatever fields you want the TV to display. Typically something like [Title] from [Album] by [Artist] or in your case perhaps [Program] / [Season] / [Episode] / [Title]. I think you can automate such a title renaming process in MC, but I am not an expert on how to do that..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

MikeO

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 02:58:01 am »

You can get the episode number included

You have to customize DLNA views, instead of the fixed field [name] create a expression [episode] - [name] and rename it Name or something.

You will have to restart mc for the changes to show

Mike

RobLMoore

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 02:56:09 pm »

use the below to show title as: 8.15 - Man's Best Friend with Benefits
TVInfo(SeasonEpisode) - [Name]

I have not goten it to seperate into seperate season folders.
So my supernatural series shows over 230 episodes without any season folders.
Nothing is sorted so it is very hard to find and play episodes in order
Anybody goto an idea?

RobLMoore

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 03:29:15 pm »

I got it working now.
Each season in a separate folder and sorted.

use the following to get to the right place
Tools/options/media network/add or configure DLNA servers.../click on customize views.../click on series

I clicked on "Customize View..." which I thought was section title.
This opened up the customize views window where you can configure all audio, images, video, and playlist.

Under video/series I removed program and added 3 new categories:
TV Series with TVInfo(SeriesDisplay)
Season with TVInfo(SeasonDisplay)
Episodes with TVInfo(SeasonEpisode) - [Name]

I left everything at default and only changed "Expression to group by"
Pages: [1]   Go Up