INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video converted from JTV distorted and Audio out of sync  (Read 6833 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Video converted from JTV distorted and Audio out of sync
« on: November 08, 2015, 03:04:43 am »

Just installed my Hauppage HVR-2255 recently and today install my OTA Antenna.  Recorded a couple of episodes of the old Doctor Who series (704 X 480 resolution).

I want the files converted into something I can work with outside of MC and tried to convert them to MP4.  Tried 1080P, 720P and 480P plus the MPEG2-TS NTSC 720P and all of them distort the picture (It is still listed as 704 X 480 for the 480P conversions) by making it narrower on the screen than the original and the Audio is horribly out of sync.

Is there some trick to converting Video for SD broadcasts?  Can't I convert and get an exact 1:1 copy of what I am converting?

I have used the Conversion function often for audio files which has always worked flawlessly.  But this is my first time attempting to convert video and also a TV recording.

Thanks.

Carl.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Video converted from JTV distored and Audio out of sync
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 03:55:34 am »

What version of MC are you using?

jctcom

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 04:00:03 am »

21 with latest non-beta updates.

Carl

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 04:41:58 am »

Please provide the full version number.

jctcom

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 09:33:05 am »

Sorry.  It was pretty late when I posted that.  Guess I should have given more details about my system etc...

MC 21.0..15
Running on Windows 10 Enterprise with whatever built in security software is included.  No third party AV or Firewall.

Carl.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 09:34:30 am »

Please try 21.0.19 from the top of this board.

jctcom

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 10:52:02 am »

Upgraded to 21.0.19 but still the same issue.

The black bars on the sides are increased in width but about 20% each and the Audio is completely out of sync as compared with the original JTV files.

Tried both the standard "MP4 480P" and "MP4 480P AutoFPS" profiles

I am out for the rest of the day but will try any other suggestions when I get back later in the afternoon.

Carl.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
Re: Video converted from JTV distorted and Audio out of sync
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 06:20:12 pm »

Are you using a network tuner such as the HDHomeRun Prime?  If so, I can probably help with the AV sync.  On my system, the first few frames are corrupted, which causes AV sync issues when compressed (I guess this is fairly common)...to get around this, I start the conversion 5-10 seconds in.  I record in .ts format, and use handbrake to compress.  I actually just created a script to automate the compression of any file that is listed in a text file I create (IE: if Once Upon a Time is in the text file, and was recorded that day, it will run it through handbrake with the settings I set in a preset)...works great so far.

If anyone wants a copy of the VB script, I am happy to provide it.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 07:26:00 pm »

Are you using a network tuner such as the HDHomeRun Prime? 
Just installed my Hauppage HVR-2255 recently and today install my OTA Antenna.

I record in .ts format, and use handbrake to compress.
Audio is completely out of sync as compared with the original JTV files.

I use the JTV format for TV recordings as well, because it provides significant advantages over recording in TS format, for me. I've tried the video conversion tool many times, but I've never been happy with it. Audio is always downmixed to stereo, even if the original in 5.1 audio AAC or AC-3. The process takes a long time, even when trying to "convert" the transport stream in JTV files to a transport stream in TS files, which should be just a remuxing of the stream.

I haven't seen a lot of the problem you are reporting though. Maybe a little bit of out of sync audio, but not much. Other than the sync adjustments in Options/Video/Advanced I haven't seen any solution in MC to correct out of sync problems. When an individual files needs to be corrected, it has to be done outside MC. Of course having Options/Video/General Video Settings/Video Clock turned on may help, but not if the converted file has sync problems written into it.

I can't say that I have seen a lot of distortion in the conversions, but occasionally SD files did come out really bad. But as the Aspect Ration and Zoom amount is stored for each file, it is usually corrected easily and once for each file.

On a very positive note, Hendrik has made changes to the video engine, which effect the conversion engine, and in time we should see improvements in this functionality.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 07:35:04 pm »

The only advantage (that I am aware of) in recording in .jtv is that if you are watching a show and decide to record it, it will record from the beginning, as opposed to .ts, which will record from the point you press record.  I suppose on slower HDD's, there is a performance benefit in .jtv as well since it only writes one file at a time, but I haven't seen a problem with disk performance in a long time, even when recording multiple shows at the same time.

It used to be that watching a show on a client had issues using .ts if it was currently recording, but that was fixed a long time ago (well, a long time ago in 'software years' ;D).

The advantage of .ts files, for me, is the ability to convert/compress in tools outside of MC.  I have had no sync issues since I started compressing using Handbrake, starting 10 seconds in.  sometimes I will start 5 seconds in, if the padding wasn't applied, and that has also worked with no issues.

If you are a typical DVR user, watch and delete, then I think .jtv is probably the better option.  If you want to work with the file outside of MC, then .ts is probably the better choice.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 11:35:35 pm »

The main reason for using JTV files is as you say, being able to record a program that has already started, if the program is in the time shift buffer. That is why I use the JTV format, because I do that quite often. See this for more info: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92387.0

So the reasons for using the JTV format are;
1. Programs that started in the past can be recorded in full, as long as the program is in the Time Shift buffer. The TS format can only record from the moment you press the record button.
2. With TS format, MC is always writing JTV files for Time Shifting, and TS format files for any current recording. Not a big issue as you say with fast drives, but still something to be aware of, particularly if your hard drive is getting full.
3. With the JTV format a recording is made up of many files. If you have a power failure or a recording is interrupted for some reason, you don't lose the whole recording to file corruption. With the TS format you will lose the whole recording.
4. The JTV format can hold multiple programs in the one directory, which then share the overlap time to accommodate padding time. Only one tuner is used for recording sequential programs. I'm pretty sure that the TS format requires one tuner per program, where the programs are sequential and padding is used.
5. JTV files sizes are smaller for the same recording, because not all data in the broadcast stream is recorded. I think I read somewhere that JTV had better compression as well. JTV format "provides the smoothest playback".
6. Some hardware (Analogue tuners or capture devices) only records using MC in JTV format. (I'll let you research the details.)
7. JTV files can be played in ZoomPlayer (tested), Windows Media Player (although it doesn't recognise the format, it will play it), and Media Player Classic (untested). Basically, any DirectShow player or Editor can open and play/edit JTV files. So there is some portability.

The disadvantages of the JTV format are;
a. You can't use the MC Video Conversion tool to convert it to anything decent, and maintain the original audio. There is no demux/remux capability built into the MC conversion tool. Six channel audio is down mixed to stereo.
b. Even though MC uses Direct Show filters to show JTV recordings, there are no other applications that can use these filters to open and edit MC JTV files. VideoReDo looked at it and were/are going to do something, but nothing has happened in the last year.  Apparently "Windows Movie Maker" from Vista days could edit the file (untested), but that wouldn't be a good solution. Even though a DirectShow editor should allowing editing JTV files, I never found an editor that worked. At least not a trial or free one.
c. The Rename, Move, & Copy Files function does not work well where there are two programs in the same recording directory. Well, it doesn't work at all really, and if you aren't aware that there are two programs in a directory that you try to use the RM&CF function on, you can make a real mess that needs manual repair. The RM&CF function does work when only one program is in a directory, but it still retains the original directory name that the files were originally saved in, putting it beneath any new directory structure you create.
d. You can't use third party add-ons that need to read a recording, such as Comskip, with JTV files.
e. Closed Captioning doesn't work with JTV files. I think it works with TS recordings.

The advantages of the TS format are;
  I. You can still save the time shift buffer if you haven't started recording a program from the beginning, but have been sitting on the channel for a while. The whole Time Shift buffer is saved in JTV format, not TS format, rather than just the program. The saved JTV Time Shift files are independent of the file created for any recording started for the channel.
 II. The file format is portable and easily editable.
III. Closed Captions can be stored in the format. I'm not exactly sure that MC does record them in the format, but if it does they are retained.
IV. The TS format records more of the broadcaster's data stream, although not all of the stream. Therefore, there could be multiple channels recorded with the TS file, which may be of some use to people.

Maybe now that we have better recording rules I won't need to do catch-up recordings so often, and can change to using the TS format. But I still browse the guide sometimes, watch something for a bit, and the decide to record the whole thing to watch later, so maybe not.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 11:37:12 pm »

Also note, the OP's problem has occurred in the past, and been fixed. Maybe it has come back.

18.0.212 (8/5/2013)
 2. Fixed: JTV video conversion lip-sync problem.

jctcom

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 01:48:28 am »

I want to catalogue and organize certain shows which I can't do in JTV format. 

I will try recording in .ts format.  I am more interested in being able to catalogue and edit a show (remove commercials etc...) than in being able to start recording at the beginning of a show I am currently watching.

Hopefully the .ts version will convert better.  The JTV files are useless to me since I can't convert them properly or edit them.

Will let you know how I fair once I have recorded a couple of shows in .ts format and either edited them as I am trying to do or converted them for the ability to edit them.

Carl.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 02:32:35 am »

Carl, did you resolve this to your satisfaction? Still interested in recording in JTV format but being able to edit the file set and remove commercials, trim it down, convert it without loss of quality?

If so, get over to this thread and express your support: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,92571.msg744310.html#msg744310

jctcom

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 10:38:11 am »

Actually I gave up on recording in .jtv format and switched over to .ts a long time ago.  Simpler single file that I can edit with most video editing programs.

Also your link does not seem to work.

Carl.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 05:04:53 pm »

Thanks for the reply Carl. I just thought I would share.

The link does work for me, so I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Doesn't matter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up