INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it me or has 9.1.244 got slower?  (Read 3005 times)

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
Is it me or has 9.1.244 got slower?
« on: September 04, 2003, 01:03:30 am »

I have just installed this version (upgraded from a previous 9.1.23x version) and have opened up the following tree branch:

Media Library/Audio

When I click on an artist it takes around 1.5 to 2 seconds to populate the album pane and the albums covers at the bottom of the screen.

This is a constant value irrespective of how many albums an artist has.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Media Center Registered 9.1.244 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium 4 1694 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 157 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.4718 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.57 (1008) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1997 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.57 (1008)

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

jleerigby

Re: Is it me or has 9.1.244 got slower?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 04:28:19 am »

Yes - noticed slower responses filling list and panes from 9.1.243 but I thought it was me since my MP3 library just went up by 1K to 20.5K.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2003, 05:44:15 am »

We're looking hard for an answer on this, but....

When you first import files, the thumbnails need to be built and this will slow things down until it's finished.

Is this a possibility?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 05:54:11 am »

Does changing the active page in the Action Window to "Home" make any speed difference?

Also, after a click in a pane the other panes should update almost right away.  Then after a little delay the list and Action Window will update.  Can you see where it's sticking?

Thanks for helping.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2003, 05:56:11 am »

When you first import files, the thumbnails need to be built and this will slow things down until it's finished.

It can't be that as it happens when I constantly flip between two artists ... unless MC is not saving the thumbnails?

I have noticed that if I flip between an artist who has two albums and another that has 15, when it displays the 15 the default image is shown for all the albums first then the true album covers are shown for the 3 that I have ... is that any help or is that normal?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2003, 06:00:22 am »

Does changing the active page in the Action Window to "Home" make any speed difference?

Nope.

Also, after a click in a pane the other panes should update almost right away.  Then after a little delay the list and Action Window will update.  Can you see where it's sticking?

The painting order I see after changing an artist is:

album pane
action window
list

The pause seems to be between the action window and the list.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2003, 06:14:27 am »

Some other things to check:

• Turn off auto-size columns
  • Show as few columns as possible (even just one column for testing)
  • Disable any view filters
  • Try details vs. thumbnails

Also, what does the status bar say while it's "sticking"?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2003, 06:32:09 am »

Matt,

Turn off auto-size columns

It's already off.

Show as few columns as possible (even just one column for testing)

Even with no columns in details mode you can see the pause.   Also the listview is refreshed and the scrollbar is shown even though there are no columns :O

Disable any view filters

I don't have any views.

Try details vs. thumbnails

Both produce the same results.

Also, what does the status bar say while it's "sticking"?

It contains the results of the last display, e.g.:

12 files (63.9 MB - 55.8 minutes)

jleerigby

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2003, 09:30:02 am »

Sorry I've not done much testing on this - I've been really busy.  Don't have a lot of time right now but what I have found is that it's the view schemes with calc fields in the panes that take longer (Album Artist Auto rather than Album).  I think this could be the reason for the extra latency.

jleerigby

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2003, 09:53:43 pm »

The optimizations in 245 work really well but the scheme with 3 panes of calc fields hasn't speeded up much.  I guess that's to be expected though.  I can live with it 'cos we are only talking about 4 seconds to load this particular scheme.  I'll update the other thread about slow areas of 9.1.

jleerigby

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2003, 11:00:08 pm »

The above may have been a red herring.  Just before I left for work I realised that I have other view schemes that have calculated fields in them that are not as slow as the one causing me the problem.  This 'worst one' can take anything from 4.8 to 6 secs to load.  I'm not able to test anything further 'til I get home but this is what I can say from memory.

I have a VS Grp called Albums (20Kfiles) and 2 VS hanging off it called Single Artist (13K files) and Multiple Artist (7K files).  

Albums
      |_____Single Artist
      |
      |_____Multiple Artists

All 3 are set to album thumbnails.  

Both the VS Group called Albums and the VS called Single Artist have the following 5 panes:
Genre, Album Artist (Auto) (6), Album Artist (Auto) (1), Album Artist (Auto), Album.

Strangely the Single Artist VS always takes longer to load than the Albums VS Group (about 1.5 secs longer).  So the only differences between the 2 are that one is a Group not a sub group and the sub group will have an additional rule applied to it (Album type = single artist).  

If I change the List Style to Details (all 3) it's faster by about 800ms but the single artist VS still takes longer to load than the others.

That's all I can say until I get home tonight.  If you need me to check anything else let me know.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2003, 11:05:58 pm »

Matt,

b245 is still slow :(

I noticed in the change log you changed the status bar to display what it's doing.   Unfortunately these appeared after the "stick" and are so quick you can't see what it's doing ... so the issue is not there.

I started a build of AV on my machine to slow it down while toggling between artists and the stick is definately between the painting of the album pane and the action window.

Out of curiosity why is the AW being refreshed anyway?

nila

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2003, 04:04:51 am »

One REALLY slow area I find is changing between views.
If I click on one view by accident and then click on the right view instead, MC doesn't just stop trying to display the one I clicked on incorrectly and try to display the one I've moved to, it'll hang on the wrongly clicked one trying to finish off displaying it before it moves onto the correct one to display it.

This can result in a wrong click meaning your sitting there waiting for between 5-10 seconds before you can see your view scheme to chose some songs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up