INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loading Music to Pono Player from Library  (Read 8756 times)

JohnSwanson99

Loading Music to Pono Player from Library
« on: November 11, 2015, 10:34:20 am »

I have a question, I recently purchased a number of high res recordings from Pono Music World, which were downloading into my library.  My library also has all the songs from my iTunes library in it and there are over 250 gigs of music.  I cannot find out how to filter only high res music and other selected songs for download to the Pono player.  Are the specific instructions for filtering and the download process anywhere or can someone provide, .  Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Loading Music to Pono Player from Library
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 08:47:10 pm »

Disclaimer:  I don't have a Pono, or PonoMusicWorld.  I just use the regular version of JRiver MC.

According to this, you can set up playlists to use as sync targets for your Pono:

https://www.ponomusic.com/ccrz__CCPage?pageKey=faq#_How_do_I_6

So, you could make two (or more) playlists:

1.  A regular old playlist that you drag songs into.  This would probably be the bulk of what you want to sync.
2.  A SmartList that contains only your high res music.

For the Smartlist, you can add a new smartlist, then edit it.  In the editor, you can do something like: 
Sample Rate "is greater than or equal to" 96000

That would find music that's 96kHz and above.  You could use 88200 if you want.  Or 48000 if that's what you want.  Another way would be to only detect 24 bit music with a rule like:

Bit Depth "is" 24

When you're all done, set up both of those playlists to be used when Syncing to your Pono.  I think that would do it.  But again, I don't have the hardware or the software so I can't verify.

Good luck!

Brian.

l8mdl

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 09:30:32 am »

I have a question, I recently purchased a number of high res recordings from Pono Music World, which were downloading into my library.  My library also has all the songs from my iTunes library in it and there are over 250 gigs of music.  I cannot find out how to filter only high res music and other selected songs for download to the Pono player.  Are the specific instructions for filtering and the download process anywhere or can someone provide, .  Thanks.

Rather than using PMW to import, I would just "drag & drop" to the Pono or the card. I only use PMW for firmware upgrades or purchase downloads. Once I have the files I use File Explorer (PC) - it's faster, too!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 09:31:31 am »

You won't see the little blue light go on if you do that.

l8mdl

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 03:02:53 pm »

You won't see the little blue light go on if you do that.

That is INCORRECT. The light shows for all purchases made through the Pono website. The tag for the "Blue Light" is part of the file and the file does not change when you"drag & drop" to another location (in fact to three other locations in my case - backup, ya know!).

Karrma

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 01:13:22 pm »

I also prefer to drag and drop, or what some call "side load" my files, from my actual files, not a library.  For several reasons, one is to make sure that the files get into the specific SD card I want them to go to.  I do not want to overload the fixed card, and only load my favorites there, trying to keep space open for the upgrades and playlists, as SD cards can get problems if overwritten too much.  I now have a SD card for rock/pop, one for Jazz/Folk, and one for Classical/Holiday, and just take out the SD card and put it in my computer, and open it up on a browser.  I can rename it what I want.  Then I open up my music folders on my computer. click on the file, click copy, to, or drag.  I find that doing more than a couple at a time take quite a while.  On my computer, I keep only the new files, and ones I have not backed up yet.  I then will copy files to my main storage device, a 2 TB Seagate external drive, under Music, in folders for each genre and if it is 14 bit or 24 bit quality.  So I have at least 2 copies of the files, and plan to have another on the cloud when I can figure out how to access the one I have when I bought my Windows Surface. 

The second reason is that it is a lot faster.  I have not had problems with changing out SD cards on my PONO, although some people have.  I make sure it is turned off prior to changing it.  It can take up to 3 minutes or so for my 128 GB card sometimes.  I have had my PONO since October 2014, and running great still, having done this since my first time, when I had no clue what files were going to which of the two SD cards in the PONO player.  The only time you need PMW to load a file is if you are loading on to the fixed SD card on the PONO player.
Pages: [1]   Go Up