INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A way to remove a file title in Windows 10? (from Properties > Details pane)  (Read 26871 times)

Antoine.

• World Citizen

I've tried to do this and for a great number of files (in Windows 7 as well as in Windows 10): MKV, AVI or MP4 files. I can't change the embedded title value in their properties. Not even by creating copies of the files with all possible properties removed (as is offered by Windows in File Properties > Details > Remove Properties and Personal Information).

Is there a way to do this? I wouldn't mind so much if JRiver wasn't using this File Title field to identify and name movies... which is why I'm confronted to this problem.

I tried Windows Media Player to manage this field and thought it was working, until I checked back in Windows Explorer to realize that nothing had changed.
I've also tried Attribute Magic Pro (Free Trial) which was promising but in the end did not change the file property (even as it appeared so in the software)!

Help would be much welcome, as these titles that I can't remove annoy me very much ;D !

Antoine
Server: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC26 - Caselabs Mercury S5 - Corsair HX1000i - ASRock Z97M OC Formula - Intel i7-4790t - 16Gb - Crucial M500 960GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G - RAID5 : WD Red 4TB (6x) + Adaptec 6805 - JBOD : WG Green 4TB (4x) - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - Kef Egg.

HTPC: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC25 - Streacom F12C  - Streacom FLIRC - Corsair HX750i - ASRock Z97 Extreme4 - Intel i5-4690s - 16Gb - Crucial M500 480GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G - Asus Essence STX II.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe

Is the filename on disk what you want to use as the [Name] in JRiver?  If so, you can just copy it over with an expression like:

=filename(,0)

Otherwise, how are you planning on setting the [Name] field to something meaningful?  If you can use JRiver's fields to do it, it will be easier and more consistent than trying to do it by hand.

Manipulating the existing [Name] field (if it's meaningful) is another approach you might consider.

Brian.

Antoine.

• World Citizen

Thank you for your answer!

This is not really related to Media Center but rather to file management in Windows... I just want to get rid of the titles tagged to certain of my files (MKV and AVI files mostly) which MC21 uses as a basis to name movies. Of course I can rename them in MC21 (and I did). But I want to get rid of these Windows tags permanently so that each time that I re-import files, or that I browse discs in Explorer (Theater View) I won't be confronted to these suckers anymore.

It is really not related to JRiver (otherwise that JRiver shouldn't, in my view use these Windows tags to name files, but rather should rely on the filenames).

Any idea as to how to delete these (difficult) Windows tags?

Antoine
Server: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC26 - Caselabs Mercury S5 - Corsair HX1000i - ASRock Z97M OC Formula - Intel i7-4790t - 16Gb - Crucial M500 960GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G - RAID5 : WD Red 4TB (6x) + Adaptec 6805 - JBOD : WG Green 4TB (4x) - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - Kef Egg.

HTPC: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC25 - Streacom F12C  - Streacom FLIRC - Corsair HX750i - ASRock Z97 Extreme4 - Intel i5-4690s - 16Gb - Crucial M500 480GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G - Asus Essence STX II.

Antoine.

• World Citizen

I just found this tool, based I think on Mkvtoolnix and it worked for my MKV files: It's called JmkvPropedit.

It worked wonderfully for the MKV files that Windows couldn't edit. But sadly it does not work with AVI and MP4 files...Why Windows can't do that natively is yet another mystery...

zines

Hi Antonie,

Were you ever able to find a way to remove titles from mp4 files? If so, can you please tell me what are you using? I figured out the same solution you did for MKV files. For AVI you can use "abcAVI Tag editor" and I think this could work for mp4 as well, however it will not work if the file is over 2.00 GB. I can't seem to find a solution on this. Same as you, Windows 10 is restricting allowing you to edit the files' properties by using the "Remove properties and personal information on it". I don't get it as I am an admin on the computer. Can't seem to edit any video file using this. If you figured out how to do this, please let me know.

Thanks,

Zines

zines

I was able to figure something out. By the way, I used MKVToolNix GUI to remove tags for MKV files, correction on previous comment/posting. As for the mp4 files, it was odd. I downloaded something called "File Property Edit" it is free actually. It said it would allow you to edit all property fields, even those that normally you couldn't edit. I couldn't figure out how to edit fields, playing through the menu and options of this application, once I imported an mp4 into the application. It had a bunch of settings but nothing said what the settings were for, it would just give a bunch of "Yes" or "No" options, without really any description as to what they did.

I ended up finding a setting under the "File attributes" called "Read-only", which I set that to "No", and then applied changes. OK, so before someone makes a comment as to why I didn't just change the attributes under the properties of the file itself, so Read-only was unchecked, yes I already made sure this was unchecked. I also made sure the folder this file was in also wasn't read-only. All settings were correct and it should have allowed me to change the properties of this file, but I couldn't. Yes, I am also admin and not a standard user.

Anyway, after making the change to this file with this application I was then able to change the file's tags, like the Title under details by going into "Remove Properties and Personal Information". The odd thing is, it allowed me to change all the files within the folder after making the adjustment to the one file. I selected all of the files and removed the properties for all of them. The only ones this didn't work for was the MKV files, which then I just used the MKVTool that I previously mentioned. So this worked for me and my issue is resolved.

Now for the next task, I want to figure out how to add a picture to each video. Some of them have it and others don't. There must be an application that allows for that. I am not sure and don't think this will be possible for MKV files though. I did download something and it shows a screen caption of all the videos (including MKV) that doesn't already have a picture, it forwards however far into the video (minutes & seconds) that you specify and applies that frame, but it does that same specified time for all videos on the computer and not just certain ones that you select. This isn't what I want, but would like to apply a poster somehow. I read that using the MKVToolNix application you can attach a poster/picture to the video. I tried that and it does allow you to attach a picture, but not sure what the point is as it doesn't show up anywhere in the file after you MUX it. If you import the video back into MKVToolNix, you can see the file is still attached, but it doesn't show up as the file's icon or poster like I would expect. If someone has ideas on attaching posters to files please post them. I hope the information I supplied will help someone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up