INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artist Name Swapping and Theater View  (Read 7783 times)

Denti

• Citizen of the Universe
Artist Name Swapping and Theater View
« on: November 12, 2015, 04:32:40 pm »

I haven't updated to MC21 yet, in part because this is the only issue I care about right now. Are there any chance of addressing it?

Long version: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97418.msg702623#msg702623

Short version: allow sorting of artists by last name first, display by first name first in Theater View, with multiple artists separated by ; delimiter.

Denti

Re: Artist Name Swapping and Theater View
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 07:13:55 am »

Anyone?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 08:19:26 am »

Short version: allow sorting of artists by last name first, display by first name first in Theater View, with multiple artists separated by ; delimiter.

Couldn't you make a field "Artist Sort" and fill it in using an expression from the artist?  You'd want to use the Swap(...) expression probably.

Then sort by that field and leave artist alone.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Denti

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 08:55:36 am »

Doesn't work in Theater View/JRemote. It does work in Standard View, though. Any chance this could be addressed? It's been a long time that I've tried to solve this, and I'm getting to the point where I might just start duplicating files, which would be annoying.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 08:59:56 am »

Doesn't work in Theater View/JRemote. It does work in Standard View, though. Any chance this could be addressed? It's been a long time that I've tried to solve this, and I'm getting to the point where I might just start duplicating files, which would be annoying.

What do you mean?

You're free to specify any field as the sort field in Theater View.

Denti

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 09:02:48 am »

Check out the link I provided. When using multiple artists split by ; it simply does not work in Theater View. It's strange, and frustrating. To specify, what I want is:

1. Display first name last name
2. Sort last name first name
3. Use ; delimiter for multiple artists
4. Use JRemote/theater view

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 06:58:42 am »

+1 Denti  --

yes Matt, this has been brought up in a bunch of posts by Denti and myself and I think this really should be addressed. I think most of the world still alphabetizes things on the last name, but all of the internet tagging does not separate first name/last name into separate fields.
1. Display first name last name
2. Sort last name first name
3. Use ; delimiter for multiple artists
4. Use JRemote/theater view

Now if you remove his number three, its all good. Its what he and I are referring to as multiple artists that causes problems.

However, I do think there are bunch of issues that should be looked at together, because making one work might break something else.

You can get most if not all what Denti and I would like in Standard View by messing with thumbnail text -- but I think for most it is in Theater and Remote Modes where you want this to work. Pane type, admin views are perfect for Standard mode, thumbnail "category" type views shine in JRemote and Theater mode.

Using swap/unswap is ok when you do not have "multiple" artists -- I'm talking about 2 (rarely three) per album globally - on all tracks and not to be confused with a Multiple Artist  album like a compilation (why I always use Various Artists to avoid confusion).

The expressions to show do not work the same way in Theater mode as in Standard Mode (which uses [Name] as a variable, referring to Denti's other posts, not as a defined field).

I can get this to work for single artists, but the swap function does not really "parse" on the semi-colon -- I believe (and I think Denti concurs?) it should. eg. for this Album by Coltrane and Ellington => http://www.allmusic.com/album/duke-ellington-john-coltrane-mw0000416142 Allmusic's database uses the Slash for their separator. Their database splits these as expected. The Album Artist is BOTH artists; the Album is in both their discographies individually.

If you enter John Coltrane; Duke Ellington, using the swap function you get Ellington, John Coltrane; Duke instead of Coltrane, John; Ellington, Duke. Looking at the tag dump you get 2 individual Album Artists and 2 individual Artists (in this eg. they are the same). Short of this you are limited to using something like "John Coltrane & Duke Ellington" as a unique album artist.

Now maybe with your magic you can tweak that so the function works, but I'm not sure that's enough. I think that in a text field the ";" is treated as pure text not as true separator?  John Coltrane; Duke Ellington is not the same as  Duke Ellington; John Coltrane

By creating custom list field like I have been doing for years, you can split them and show them. But if you parse them and then say show them using the swap function (or a regex expression) you run into problems. I have been able more or less to show artist fields and genre type fields swapped or just split this way, but I'm sort of concerned that there is special handling of the Album Artist field which with the Album Artist (Auto) "magic" and the Album it creates sort of a unique identifier -- might be wrong on this tho ... I seem to remember someone who had created unique record ids as a work around (database records not albums)

This is further complicated by the fact that you have to basically create 3 views in different areas of the UI (or create them first in Standard mode, then import them twice - one for theater view and one for remote views). However even importing doesn't always work like in this example because the album covers and thumbnail text are not shown/configured in the same way. This also gets complicated because although you can save a view from standard mode, you can't from the other two modes -- so it is hard to share all three mode views with others or even reinstall on multiple clients/servers in a local system. I guess though this would mean either making all views work like in theater mode or have all three modes work like standard mode (except panes) incorporating the thumbnail text

Now some of this might seem off-topic, but I think they are related in the fact that the architecture of the database and some of the "view" functionality that has been added on over the years are linked and might not be an easy fix. So it might be a good idea to look at this globally at the same time?

But if you could tweak the swap/unswap function it would be a great start.

Also linked to this is that as "relational" fields are limited, it would be nice to be able to not only parse but use the semi-colon to concatenate -- you could have multiple lists joined to records or a soloist and the instrument field, multiple genre handling etc. ..but thats for another thread  ;) If the data base was totally relational (in my limited understanding of what that means) this would not be an issue ... but that would probably mean millions of lines of code would have to be re-written, not to mention incompatibility between versions  :o  Not expecting any miracles, but everything seem to be poured into TV lately and no so much into library management & the UI. Anything you could do or suggest (maybe regex expression that we could copy/paste in the interim), would be great.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 07:15:03 am »

So making Swap(...) work with multiple artists would be a good start?

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 07:59:00 am »

So making Swap(...) work with multiple artists would be a good start?
I think so. I'm assuming this could be used for other fields too, not just [Artist] right? As one might have to make a custom list field... I'd have to test, but I think it would work if it swaps what's between the semi-colons. Thanks Matt! :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 08:37:57 am »

Next build:
Changed: The Swap(...) function will nicely handle semi-colon delimited lists and swap each element (before it would stumble).

Denti

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 09:16:07 am »

Next build:
Changed: The Swap(...) function will nicely handle semi-colon delimited lists and swap each element (before it would stumble).
OMG! Seriously? This is awesome! Thank you!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 09:20:29 am »

OMG! Seriously? This is awesome! Thank you!

Well don't tell anyone, but that was a pretty easy change.  I like easy changes that make people happy.  I wish I had 100 more!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 09:48:34 am »

And just to round it out:
Changed: Made the Unswap(...) function also accept a semi-colon delimited list.

Denti

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 10:01:32 am »

Well don't tell anyone, but that was a pretty easy change.  I like easy changes that make people happy.  I wish I had 100 more!
I thought it would have to be easy, but all my attempts to get it done in the "easy changes" request thread were ignored. Until now. Thanks again!

Arindelle

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 06:35:09 am »

And just to round it out:
Changed: Made the Unswap(...) function also accept a semi-colon delimited list.
woot ! thanks Matt forgot about that it needs to go from a "swapped" delimited list field to work ways to work ... at least I'd think so ... I'll test it out, ASAP. Not sure if I need both a swapped and un-swapped delimited field to make them split in the view. Maybe you could check to see that in a theater "view" it sorts on a swapped field, and shows on the unswapped field on your end?  thx in anycase

PS - now should be able to automate this to fill in the "swapped field" on import -- save a bunch of time. Very cool  :)

I thought it would have to be easy, but all my attempts to get it done in the "easy changes" request thread were ignored. Until now. Thanks again!
;D nothing is that easy! .. and you might have to spring for version 21 to get it to work  ;)

Denti

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 09:15:02 am »

Oh, I'm getting MC21 as soon as I'm home on Friday. Can't wait to test it out.

Denti

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 01:21:47 pm »

This doesn't work for me. When I use Unswap(...) with a list-style field that has semi-colons in it I get a jumble with semi-colons instead of a delimited list. What went wrong?

Denti

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 01:55:50 pm »

I should have pointed that the Unswap function actually worked for me (prior to the new version) with semi-colons, but only in Standard View using [Name] as the thumbnail text for display. Wish you would simply allow for a similar field in Theater View.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 03:01:11 pm »

do you have the new version?  the change was only introduced today!  (21.0.24)

i haven't had a chance to download and try it out myself yet...

Denti

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 03:04:57 pm »

do you have the new version?  the change was only introduced today!  (21.0.24)

i haven't had a chance to download and try it out myself yet...

Yep, I was waiting for the new version before trying it out. I'm a little confused by why it seems not to work, though Arindelle did warn me it wasn't the fix we'd hoped it would be. Why, though?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 09:31:35 am »

This doesn't work for me. When I use Unswap(...) with a list-style field that has semi-colons in it I get a jumble with semi-colons instead of a delimited list. What went wrong?

This is from the build thread:

It's working here.

For example:
UnSwap(Einstein/, Albert; Lauren/, Polo Ralph)

Outputs:
Albert Einstein; Polo Ralph Lauren

Denti

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 12:32:05 pm »

I'm using a field in which I have semi-colon delimited artists, last name first:

Unswap([All Artists (Last Name)])

and it's not working.  

For example:
If [All Artists (Last Name)] has the following: Eno, Brian; Hopkins, Jon; Abrahams, Leo

It outputs: Eno, Brian; Hopkins, Jon; Abrahams, Leo

What am I doing wrong?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 12:36:20 pm »

I'm using a field in which I have semi-colon delimited artists, last name first:

Unswap([All Artists (Last Name)])

and it's not working.  

For example:
If [All Artists (Last Name)] has the following: Eno, Brian; Hopkins, Jon; Abrahams, Leo

It outputs: Eno, Brian; Hopkins, Jon; Abrahams, Leo

What am I doing wrong?

I get:
Brian Eno; Jon Hopkins; Leo Abrahams

As the output when I put your value into my test field and do Unswap([Test]).

Denti

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 12:45:27 pm »

It doesn't work in the expression field for the thumbnail view of Standard View for me.

It works now.

So I (also) created a new field with Unswap([All Artists (Last Name)]) as its calculated data and yes, now it outputs the name properly swapped.

Except, the semi-colon no longer functions to output a list. Even when I add &datatype=
    to the expression.

Remember all I want is to sort by last name, but display by first name using the ; delimiter.

Also: when I use Unswap([Name]) in the thumbnail display expression in Standard View it WORKS!!!
but it also worked before you made the change, and does NOT work in Theater View.

Any way you can help?

[P.S. I just tried creating a list-style field which I planned to fill manually, since I can't get this to work, and it won't "parse" the semi-colon either. What am I doing wrong?]

Denti

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 01:25:17 pm »

The problem appears to be that the ; works for grouping, but not for displaying. Which is why, I'm assuming, [Name] in Standard View is the only solution, because it has already "processed" the list.

So a simple solution might be allowing ; to do its list magic for display as well as grouping. Either that or give [Name] the same function in Theater View it has in Standard View. Either one would fix the problem.

Denti

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 03:13:55 pm »

I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one who wants to sort by last name and display by first name. Really? This seems to me should be a fundamental feature of any music collection/program. JRiver isn't just a great music player, it is an efficient and appealing organizer of a music collection. Surely the Theater View--who's very existence is for appearance--should be able to display and sort artist names properly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up