INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High memeory usage  (Read 1829 times)

Ziggi

High memeory usage
« on: November 15, 2015, 09:39:35 am »

Hi,

I observe very high memory footprint of JRiver Media Center (v. 21.0.19) on my Windows 10 Pro x64 (v. 1511, built 10584):

Any idea? - This can't be considered "normal" for media player busy with a single MP3 song,

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: High memeory usage
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 10:03:54 am »

It is probably working in the background (Auto-Import running, building thumbnails, or something else similar).

I see these rough working set numbers:
* 75-100MB while in the foreground
* 12MB while minimized

Of course, it can allocate more for playback depending on your settings. You can set it to cache the decode into RAM, and suck up large amounts of RAM, if you want.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Spike1000

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 10:19:34 am »

I'm seeing 447.8MB playing a 24bit 96kHz FLAC at the moment. No background tasks running.

Also Windows 10 Pro x64 (v. 1511, built 10584)

Now it's a 24bit 176.4 kHz FLAC and it's up to 528MB

But hey, memory's cheap these days  ;)

Update: Depends on the file being played. . . Now playing 16bit 48Khz FLAC and its down to 114 MB

Update II: I assume it varies on how big the source file is as I'm playing from memory. . .

Spike

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 11:12:58 am »

Update II: I assume it varies on how big the source file is as I'm playing from memory. . .

It will vary depending on the amount of data in the audio engine, so higher-complexity files (higher sample rates) will increase memory usage. If you're playing from memory, the impact will be greater (up to the limit that MC will allocate for this purpose).

File format (FLAC vs MP3) should have a negligible impact because it is decoding to PCM in either case.

Other DSP settings, especially convolution filters and upsampling, can increase memory usage.

In any case, I don't think 212MB working set is especially huge on a modern PC, that probably has 4GB of RAM on the lower end.  It is higher than I'm seeing, but I don't know what DSP settings or output settings you're using. But as I type this, Firefox has a nearly 1/2GB working set, so... I suppose it is relative.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up