INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AMD Radeon  (Read 3737 times)

Jay Fora

• Recent member
AMD Radeon
« on: November 14, 2015, 08:11:07 pm »

Hi, could you please comment on the cautionary advice below from the Debian.org website, which is applicable to AMD Radeon  cards, and the AMD Catalyst 14.9 Driver for them that is compatible with Jessie  -

https://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary

'Debian 8 "Jessie"

AMD Catalyst 14.9

For support of Radeon R9 200, Radeon R7 200, Radeon HD 8000, Radeon HD 7000, Radeon HD 6000 and Radeon HD 5000 series GPUs (supported devices).

This driver is incompatible with the GNOME desktop, as it does not support the EGL interface.

It is recommended to use the free radeon driver instead.'

This advice is applicable to my AMD Radeon graphics card 6310. I am transitioning from windows and am having trouble getting either MC 20 or 21 working properly on Mint Cinnamon, so am thinking of trying Debian, as MC is so important to me. Am transitioning from Windows to LInux and am 'over it' with software fiddling for now. Is there any Debian distro/desktop environment that MC is the most likely to be successful with, that still allows most things to be done through GUI? I don't want to keep trying different Distro and desktop environments, and am keen to find a solution for MC in Linux. You obviously recommend Debian as best for MC. I don't care if I use Jessie or Wheezy, MC 20 or 21, or what desktop environment, as long as MC looks great and works well. My usage is simple, I don't have any complex peripheral gear.
(In mint cinnamon,MC20,  tracks break up because cpu maxes out, and MC21 could'n't auto import, works perfectly in windows on same machine)
Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up