INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost the ability to rename files or add tag information  (Read 5007 times)

Bengi010

• World Citizen
Lost the ability to rename files or add tag information
« on: November 09, 2015, 06:06:39 am »

I'm on Windows 10 and this is almost certainly a windows issue not MC but I thought I would ask if anybody knows how to fix it.  I have tried changing the permissions in all my relevant folders in the properties tab but it doesn't seem to work.  I uncheck the "read only" box save and exit only for it to recheck itself.   
Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                          Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 1000w PSU, Lian-Li PC-B25F ATX Tower,
                                   Dell S2716DG G-Sync Monitor & AOC 2230 Monitor, Corsair Hydro H60 Cooler,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Lost the ability to rename files or add tag information
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 02:37:40 pm »

Could you provide me with a bit more information about this problem? I'm not quite sure what process you're using that results in this issue. I am running Windows 10 and I have not experienced this. Could you give me a detailed explanation of what you're doing?

You shouldn't need to worry about the Read-only box being checked in the folder properties. That's usually checked by default and shouldn't impact the ability to rename or edit files in the folder.

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 08:29:30 pm »

Sorry I took awhile to respond.  I just finished a clean install of windows 10, I've basically reset everything to 0.  I was having some other issues that seem to have cleared up (non-MC related) but this one stuck.  All I'm doing is trying to use the "rename, move, copy" tool to rename files.  I have a very specific system about how files are named and that tool lets me easily apply a template.  It's probably my favorite tool in the whole program, I use it constantly.  It has never been a problem until now and I have no idea what caused it or why it's still happening. 

So to be specific as I can be, when I ask MC to rename a file one of two things happens.  Either it doesn't do it and knows that it can't (currently the progress bar at the bottom of my screen says "Saving tag changes (617 remaining)"  and it will stay that way indefinitely.)  Or, it thinks it made the change but really hasn't which results in it losing track of where the file is (it thinks the file moved but really it hasn't).  Once in awhile I get an error message letting me know it can't change the files and asking me to make sure I have the proper permissions.
Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 05:47:26 am »

Are you using any "security" software, like antivirus?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 08:22:08 am »

Can you add new files to your music folders?  Can you delete files from the music folders?

Brian.

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 08:46:33 am »

I'm using bitdefender but the issue remains when I turn it off or switch to windows antivirus.  I can manually change anything I want as normal, but MC can't.
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 09:18:11 am »

If antivirus is the cause, then disabling it may not be enough.  Uninstall to test.

More here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86096.msg588759#msg588759

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 09:19:45 am »

are you trying to do this as a client...is it a portable install?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 02:13:21 pm »

With a little experimenting I've isolated the issue but can't fix it.  It is not the antivirus, nor is this a portable install.  The issue seems to be that I save all my files to networked folders.  So instead of a filepath like D:\Music\Rolling Stones\Sticky Fingers\Brown Sugar.Flac  it is \\BEN-PC\Music\Rolling Stones\Sticky Fingers\Brown Sugar.Flac.  I forget why I did this now, but it was a long time ago and something to do with trying to fix a streaming issue.  Anyway it was never a problem before.  Experimenting shows that MC can modify and delete anything on a local hard drive but not in a Shared Network Folder.  Of course the file is the same, there is only one copy of each file.  So I guess one fix is to rename every file in my library, but I'm hoping for a fix not a work around. 
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 02:25:33 pm »

I have to amend my last post.  Changing the file paths back to the local drive does not fix the problem.  Here's what I've tried

creating a new file on the local hard drive and importing it into MC - Results in being able to rename/delete file as normal

renaming an existing file using the rename/move/copy tool to replace "BEN-PC\\" with "M:\" - results in no change, MC still cannot manipulate the file
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 02:34:56 pm »

Are you sure you have write permissions on your networked folders?  Can you rename a file on a networked drive (\\BEN-PC) ?  It sounds like MC doesn't have permission.  Does MC run as a different user than your normal windows login?

Brian.

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 04:43:11 pm »

I do have write permissions, but going into the properties of a network folder under the security tab there are up to 6 group or user names listed, 2 of which don't have full permissions.  Those 2 are listed as "Account Unknown(S-1-5-521-371444152-23224818342-3059115785-1002)"  and WMPNetworkSvc.  Only some of the folders have those one or both of those user names and those that don't function the same as those that do so I don't believe they are relevant.

I don't know how MC would be running under a different account, I just reinstalled Windows and there are no other accounts.  Running MC as administrator does not change anything.
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 05:32:08 pm »

I do have write permissions, but going into the properties of a network folder under the security tab there are up to 6 group or user names listed, 2 of which don't have full permissions.  Those 2 are listed as "Account Unknown(S-1-5-521-371444152-23224818342-3059115785-1002)"  and WMPNetworkSvc.

This is why:

I just reinstalled Windows

The files which existed and were created on the old install of Windows are still owned by that user on the old installation of Windows (now gone forever) and not by the new user on the new installation. It has nothing to do with MC. Your Windows user account can't access some of those files (or their parent folders) because it doesn't own them.

Windows users are actually tracked by a UUID (that string of characters). When Windows sees a matching user, it replaces the UUID in the User Permissions dialog with the user's name.  If no match is found, it displays the UUID.  That UUID is the old user from your old installation of Windows.

You need to take ownership and make sure you have full control permissions for your media files.  The tutorial linked here should help square you away:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Disks#Filesystem_Permissions_Errors

You should be able to take permissions on the whole thing (or your whole Media Drive, if it is a separate disk) at once.  Take Ownership first, then close and re-open the dialog, and remove all other permissions other than your own (or the suggested ones listed in the article from the Wiki).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 06:14:40 pm »

With a little experimenting I've isolated the issue but can't fix it.  It is not the antivirus, nor is this a portable install.  The issue seems to be that I save all my files to networked folders.  So instead of a filepath like D:\Music\Rolling Stones\Sticky Fingers\Brown Sugar.Flac  it is \\BEN-PC\Music\Rolling Stones\Sticky Fingers\Brown Sugar.Flac.  I forget why I did this now, but it was a long time ago and something to do with trying to fix a streaming issue.  Anyway it was never a problem before.  Experimenting shows that MC can modify and delete anything on a local hard drive but not in a Shared Network Folder.  Of course the file is the same, there is only one copy of each file.  So I guess one fix is to rename every file in my library, but I'm hoping for a fix not a work around. 

everybody was dancing to help and now you tell us they were networked folders
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 07:34:18 pm »

everybody was dancing to help and now you tell us they were networked folders

True. It could also be the network share permissions, which are separate from the filesystem permissions.

To read, write, and modify a file on a network share, the current user must:

* Have permissions to read and write the filesystem on the network device (typically you do this in a non-Active Directory domain by creating a user with the same username and password on the server and the client). This includes permissions on all of the parent directories of the files in question as well (if the user doesn't have access to any folder in the "chain" they won't be able to modify files below it in the chain of directories).

* The share itself has separate permissions, and the user must also have read/write/modify access on the share.

Fixing the former is covered above. I can't describe how to fix the latter unless I know how the files are shared on the network (on another PC, on a NAS of some kind, etc).  But, in any case, both apply.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 08:41:59 am »

Thank you Glynor, I think you've helped me find the issue, and I am sorry I didn't mention the Networked folders in my original post, I just didn't think of it. I think I have solved it. And will write down what I did below incase anyone runs into a similar problem in the future. 

So just like you said when I Right click a network folder -> Security Tab -> Advanced  the owner shows up as an Account Unknown UUID.  So I thought that was most likely the issue.

Next to the owner name I click Change then enter my Username in the box that pops up and click Check Names.  It populates the owner field with "Ben (BEN-PC\Ben)"  which looks right compared to other folders that are working for me.  I check the box "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and the box "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object" and click Apply.

I then get the following error: "An error occured while applying security information to: \\BEN-PC\Television4  Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied"

I used an elevated command prompt takeown command to take ownership manually.  This still did not solve the issue.

Then I dug a little deeper by checking:  Properties -> Security -> Advanced -> Effective Access tab and checked my access for my username.  And there was the answer all along.  The access was being limited by the Share settings.

So I right click on folder -> Properties -> Sharing -> Advanced Sharing button -> Permissions button.  Only the "Read" box is checked.  So check the "Full Control" box and Apply.  Problem Solved

It was simple all along, and my fault for not thinking to tell you about the shared folders from the beginning.  My inexperience to blame.  I just didn't realize there was another set of permissions to check.

Changing the ownership of the folder doesn't seem to have anything to do with my issue, but I think I will still take ownership just to be on the safe side.

Thank you all for your help, and I'm sorry again for not thinking of all the pertinent information in the beginning and making it more difficult than it had to be
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23
Pages: [1]   Go Up