INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disturbing focus behaviour within MC  (Read 4936 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Disturbing focus behaviour within MC
« on: November 17, 2015, 03:15:25 pm »

Sometimes the focus of MC is NOT on what is being displayed onscreen. Two disturbing examples:

1) You are watching or listening to something, with display view active. You may have media files selected in standard view, but that is not what is at the forefront of your screen right now. You hit delete on the keyboard, possibly by accident, and it becomes apparent (hopefully) that the selected files are somehow still in focus and MC is asking to delete them from the library. I feel that should not be the case.

2) You have multiple tabs open. In one you have media files selected. Another tab is Playing Now for the active zone.
You may have been playing something, which is now stopped.
You switch from the tab that has files selected to the playing now one.
The track/file you had been playing previously seems to be "highlighted".
You want to remove it from playing now, so you hit delete - knowing that in a playing now list that will remove the file from the list rather than remove it from the library. Instead, you get a confirmation box asking what kind of delete you want to carry out on the files selected in the other tab, not the one currently visible onscreen.

You have to click on the "semi-highlighted" track to actually bring it into focus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxtN4cZuaw

In my case, MC was about to remove 4500 files from the library. They were in a tab in standard view. In my playing now tab there were four files which I wanted to remove. I quickly hit ctrl-A and then delete to remove them. In the other tab, 4500 video files were selected and were about to be deleted.

blgentry

Re: Disturbing focus behaviour within MC
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 03:23:32 pm »

I've had behavior #2 happen many, many times, as I use tabs and I keep a tab open with Playing Now showing just about all the time.  It hasn't caused me any problems just yet, but it's go the potential to be a problem.  I have a hot key mapped now to show playing now.  If I'm already in Playing Now, this refreshes the screen and brings the presently playing song into view *and* highlights it.  This helps, but it in way solves the underlying problem.

Brian.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 01:41:48 am »

I've had behavior #2 happen many, many times, as I use tabs and I keep a tab open with Playing Now showing just about all the time.  It hasn't caused me any problems just yet, but it's go the potential to be a problem.  I have a hot key mapped now to show playing now.  If I'm already in Playing Now, this refreshes the screen and brings the presently playing song into view *and* highlights it.  This helps, but it in way solves the underlying problem.

Brian.

I was inspired to start this thread (I've mentioned it before in previous versions of MC), because you mentioned elsewhere that you've managed to delete many many files somehow before. It made me wonder whether it could have been something like this. I've deleted (permanently) some files before during situation 1 - while watching a movie. Suddenly, a box came up and I instinctively hit enter to dismiss it. 5 movies had to be re-ripped the next day, because the wife sat on the keyboard. Ok, so it was me, not the wife. :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 06:03:17 am »

1) You are watching or listening to something, with display view active. You may have media files selected in standard view, but that is not what is at the forefront of your screen right now. You hit delete on the keyboard, possibly by accident, and it becomes apparent (hopefully) that the selected files are somehow still in focus and MC is asking to delete them from the library. I feel that should not be the case.

I'm struggling to reproduce.

I'm in Playing Now looking at Display View.  I pick a file, then jump to fullscreen.  Delete isn't handled in fullscreen like I'd expect.

Help?

Thanks.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 08:03:34 am »

I was inspired to start this thread (I've mentioned it before in previous versions of MC), because you mentioned elsewhere that you've managed to delete many many files somehow before.

That wasn't me.  I think it was MWilliems.  But thanks for starting the thread; I think it's a good topic.

Brian.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 08:33:02 am »

I'm in Playing Now looking at Display View.  I pick a file, then jump to fullscreen.  Delete isn't handled in fullscreen like I'd expect.

Help?

Thanks.

Thanks for looking into it, Matt. I will try to upload a video later.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 08:33:49 am »

That wasn't me.  I think it was MWilliems.  But thanks for starting the thread; I think it's a good topic.

Brian.

Ha! This is a brain glitch I have. Sorry!

Vocalpoint

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 04:14:18 pm »

Instead, you get a confirmation box asking what kind of delete you want to carry out on the files selected in the other tab, not the one currently visible onscreen.

I have had this one a bunch of times in the past. Always when I am "upgrading" an album on the server with a new version on my local drive.

In my case - I'll have a tab opened to my Artists/Albums view (source on Media PC) where I have highlighted 10 tracks of a specific album and hit CTRL-C to copy the metadata.

Then I switch over to my other main tab (Tag Zone) and do a bit of housekeeping work like maybe clean out an album I have decided not to keep. I "seem" to highlight the targets I want to drop and then get a dialog that tells me a delete will occur for a file count that is different for what I "think" I am about to delete. Say I want to drop 5 items from my tag view - the message will tell me that 10 files are about to be deleted. It's the ten files highlighted on the other tab :)

I did get caught on this several times in the past and actually blew away actual play copies of some albums. But now - I watch that message very carefully.

For the life of me - I do not know why the focus is not happening in the correct spot AND I should mention this issue is very rare. But there is some combo of touch this, press that - that sets up MC to do some real damage. Wish I could replicate what exactly is causing it.

I am still on v20 here - with plans for a v21 upgrade in the coming weeks...but I thought I would mention this odd occurrence here...

Cheers,

VP

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 10:11:46 pm »

(Deep voice) "I find your lack of focus... disturbing... "

:o  :o

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 12:43:11 am »

I'm in Playing Now looking at Display View.  I pick a file, then jump to fullscreen.  Delete isn't handled in fullscreen like I'd expect.

Help?

Thanks.

I can't make a video right now, but this may help:

Choose a view, any view (except maybe playing now), with multiple video files.
Select a bunch of them.
Right click and choose play.
While playing the videos in full-screen display view, hit delete.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 07:03:41 am »

Coming next build:
Fixed: The 'Delete' accelerator would translate in fullscreen and want to delete the files that were behind the playing view.

This mostly fixes the issue.

It's still a little strange that if it's playing in the Action Window so you can still see the list, even if you click on the video that's playing, the delete key is still handled by the list.  But I'm going to let that slide for the day, and just be happy that it's no longer translated in fullscreen.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 10:07:30 am »

Thanks a lot, Matt. I will test it out. It may fix issue 2 too, perhaps.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 10:23:02 pm »

Here's a quick video of a simplified way of seeing issue 2. At about the 13 second mark, I press "delete" on the keyboard, as if trying to delete what looks like it is selected in Playing Now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxtN4cZuaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up