INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I make auto import slower, less being done at once, so it's easier on my cpu  (Read 7554 times)

Jay Fora

• Recent member

Hi, I know that if I import media without MC analysing at the same time, this reduces load on cpu. MC auto import is fantastically fast, and I have noticed it achieves this by apparently dealing with several files simultaneously. Can I slow this process down somehow? Get MC to deal with less files simultaneously?
I am questing to find a linux distro/desktop combination that MC works well on in Linux. Preferably Ubuntu-based because support is more newb friendly than Debian.
Auto import goes well on Mint Cinnamon on my machine, but audio cracks up. Audio is great on Xubuntu, but even with 'Analyse audio' de-selected, auto -import causes machine to overheat and shutdown. If it's possible to slow it down somehow, that would be awesome.
Thank you

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe

Audio is great on Xubuntu, but even with 'Analyse audio' de-selected, auto -import causes machine to overheat and shutdown.

Any machine that can't handle 100% CPU load has a problem.  Maybe it needs new heat sink compound on the CPU heat sink?  It's definitely not normal for a machine to shut down with a high CPU load.  Any machine should be able to handle 100% CPU for reasonable periods.  I'd say almost indefinitely, but maybe that's being too optimistic.

Brian.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

Any machine that can't handle 100% CPU load has a problem.  Maybe it needs new heat sink compound on the CPU heat sink?  It's definitely not normal for a machine to shut down with a high CPU load.  Any machine should be able to handle 100% CPU for reasonable periods.  I'd say almost indefinitely, but maybe that's being too optimistic.

Brian.

+1 a machine that shuts down immediately at 100% CPU load is likely not stable (at any temperature) and shouldn't be trusted with your data.

bob

• Administrator

Agree about the 100% load issue, you can't have an unstable machine at 100% load!

If you want to slow down thumbnailing, you can. Go to options and in the search at the bottom, type in thread.
You'll then see the option for reducing the thumbnailing priority.

Jay Fora

• Recent member

Thank you, will give that a go. MC library import is the only process that has this effect on my CPU, so it isn't usually an issue. I take the point about the heat sinks though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up