INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some issues after video playback and auto-import, change streams from JRemote  (Read 4066 times)

xtraktz

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi

I found a few problems during use MC 21. Now I have 21.0.19 on Mavericks 10.9.5

1. after playing video files Output Format is switched on in DSP section. What apparently is not good for audio playback (all DSP processing for audio need to be disabled). I need uncheck this DSP option before playing audio files every time. Is it possible to automate the switching depending on which file type is played or something else?

2. volume level when playing video files is always much lower than when playing audio files. In my configuration software volume control is disabled. I always use amp volume knob. These volume fluctuations bring some discomfort at the night )))

3. auto-import doesn't work for me. If I disable/enable auto-import manually in settings it only works until the first player or OS off. Start auto-import manually from MC or JRemote also works good.

4. I watch movies using different language streams and subtitles but I can select it only from general MC on my mac. It will be great if you add this option for selecting audio streams and subtitles to JRemote.

5. Also I cannot turn on display from JRemote if it is in sleep mode (wake up function is working). Only using apple touchpad or keyboard. it's inconvenient, if use the player only with JRemote as media server.
MAC MINI > dCS DEBUSSY > ATC SCA2 > ATC SCM 50 ASLT

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe

1. after playing video files Output Format is switched on in DSP section. What apparently is not good for audio playback (all DSP processing for audio need to be disabled). I need uncheck this DSP option before playing audio files every time. Is it possible to automate the switching depending on which file type is played or something else?

Interesting.  I'm not sure why this happens.  I also think you probably shouldn't worry about it.  But hey, you can set it up differently if you're concerned.  Make a new Zone for video only.  Configure the DSP in your video zone to have Output Format turned on.  In your regular audio zone keep Output Format turned OFF.  You can manually play videos in the video zone.  Or you can use the magic of Zone Switch to have MC automatically switch to the video zone when you play a video and stop playback in your audio zone.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones

It's all pretty easy to set up.

2. volume level when playing video files is always much lower than when playing audio files. In my configuration software volume control is disabled. I always use amp volume knob. These volume fluctuations bring some discomfort at the night )))

Yeah, welcome to audio for video!  Since you're going to set up a video zone, you can configure the DSP in that zone to do several things.  Volume Leveling will probably help.  Adaptive Volume can bring the volume up.  Adaptive Volume can be set to "Night Mode" which shrinks the dynamic range down, so the soft parts and the loud parts get closer together, which reduces the "sonic shock" of loud sounds.  This can be helpful at night.  :)

3. auto-import doesn't work for me. If I disable/enable auto-import manually in settings it only works until the first player or OS off. Start auto-import manually from MC or JRemote also works good.

Are your files stored on a NAS device?  Or local disk?  Auto Import works correctly for me from internal disk and USB attached drives on OSX 10.9.5 .  Some NAS devices don't properly support "file system events", so MC doesn't get the message to go check.  But in any case, Auto Import should run itself periodically.  This link says every two hours it will look by itself:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import#Background_Scanning

Brian.

xtraktz

• Junior Woodchuck

Is it correct when I play video DSP Output is activated automatically? I need stereo only for video playback.
I don't want to shrinks the dynamic range down. I am talking about the need to constantly adjust the volume level between audio and video. it is not very convenient, including at night ))
Ok, I will try to create new video zone but not sure that it would be more convenient. I prefer when all files of my library are in one place (zone in this case?)

Yes I have NAS WD MyCloud and before I did not have this problem. I do not remember when it started. I think in the latest builds of the 20 version .

blgentry

Is it correct when I play video DSP Output is activated automatically? I need stereo only for video playback.
  I'm not sure if it's correct or not, but I think so.  Especially because you are playing back in stereo.  Like I am too.  :)  If you didn't use Output Format, it couldn't play, because most videos are going to be in surround sound:  5.1 DTS, 5.1 DD, etc.

I don't want to shrinks the dynamic range down. I am talking about the need to constantly adjust the volume level between audio and video. it is not very convenient, including at night ))

Night mode, which reduces the Dynamic Range, is optional.  I suggested it because it raises the perceived volume level.  Try it, or don't try it.  <shrug>  Volume Leveling should make some difference too, ESPECIALLY if you Analyze Audio on your video files to determine their levels before they play.

Ok, I will try to create new video zone but not sure that it would be more convenient. I prefer when all files of my library are in one place (zone in this case?)

Ok, two things:  Zones are an OUTPUT concept. They don't have anything to do with where your music and movies are in the library.  That won't change.  You'll just have a new place to send playback (a new Zone).  This new Zone can use your exact same audio hardware, so your audio zone and your video zone can play back over the same sound card, DAC, etc.  Finally, Zone Switch is a way of automatically directing files to the right zone based on their type. 

When I play music, it automatically goes to my Audio zone, which has my regular setup for audio with no equalization, and essentially no modifications to the audio.  When I play a video, zone switch automatically directs it to my video zone and applies the equalization I like, as well as the Night Mode that I find convenient for video playback in my system.  You can make your own choices here.  They key idea is that the zone's audio configurations are separate, and they are triggered by the file type.

Brian.

xtraktz

• Junior Woodchuck

Ok, sounds good, I try it and will post results here))

What about my any question 3, 4, 5?

blgentry

4 and 5, I'll have to leave to someone else.

3, Auto Import:  Not 100% sure what to suggest.  It should be at least checking your auto import directories every 2 hours.  Have you waited that long to see?  You could try the good old power everything down and back up solution.  How are you connecting to the NAS?  CIFS/SMB (windows file sharing)?  NFS?  AFP?  How do you map the drives after a reboot or a login?

Brian.

xtraktz

• Junior Woodchuck

Yes, I was waiting more than 2 hours(( All devices has been restarted many times. All NAS setting are "from the box". On Mac OS X used Finder as autostart object with NAS user credentials for connecting to content folders.
If in MC settings, turn off and after turn on auto import, the content is added almost instantly. Until the first reboot or hibernate.

blgentry

Hmm.  I've read several times about NAS firmware updates fixing the ability to use file system events, which MC uses to trigger Auto Import.  But I have no experience with it myself.

If turning auto import off and back on triggers it, then simply running auto import "now" should work also.  Tools > Import > Run Auto-import now .

You may or may not be aware:  You can add buttons to the top header of MC to perform actions like "run auto import now".  Right click on the top edge of MC and select "customize toolbar".  Then you can add a button for run auto import now, which will be one click away always.  You can do this at the bottom too if that layout works better for you.

This isn't a solution.  I'm just offering ideas to try to help.  Maybe someone else can give you more guidance on auto import with NAS devices.

Edit:  I just realized, you said auto import works until you reboot.  So it works for hours or days or weeks?  But only stops when you reboot or sleep the Mac?  That is clearly a problem with how OSX connects to your NAS then.  I would guess OSX is not re-establishing a persistent connection to the NAS.  You could try this as an experiment:

Make sure auto import works.  Reboot.  *Before* you turn on MC, navigate to your NAS folders and look at a couple of files that are in your auto import directories.  *Then* open MC and see if auto import works.

Brian.

xtraktz

• Junior Woodchuck

I have configured new VIDEO zone with DSP on. But not understand how need to be configured triggers in Zone Switch for auto-change zones by file type with another zone stopping playback ?

Auto-import seems to work again. And I don't know why ...

P.S. And who can answer my questions 4 and 5?  :)

blgentry

Right click on one of your zones and select zone switch.  Add a zone switch rule.  Call it something like "video" or "video rule" or something.  Then add something like this to the "engage" area:  [Media Type]=[Video]

For "play in this zone", put the name of your video zone you just created.  Then, in the "stop playback" box, select the name(s) of the zone(s) you want to stop when video playback starts.  Click OK several times and your rule should be set.

Good luck!

Brian.

xtraktz

• Junior Woodchuck

I made a mistake to engage area..
But now it works perfectly! Thanks, Brian!
Also I have enable "app follows server zone changes" in JRemote settings. Go to set up DSP for video:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up