INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Card - Yamaha HS8 Pair Recommendation  (Read 15854 times)

MrKleanWitHare

• Recent member
Sound Card - Yamaha HS8 Pair Recommendation
« on: November 18, 2015, 01:52:35 pm »

Hello all,

I'm currently running a pretty basic setup with 3.5mm output (ALSA) to an RCA splitter into some M-Audio's. I've had this setup for quite some time, and I think it's  time to upgrade.

I would like to upgrade to some HS8's or HS7's but I feel this would make little sense given my current use of an on-board sound card with little processing power and few output options. What are your sound card recommendations for HS8's? General output/path/interconnect recommendations? I'm unsure how to get the most out of HS's at this point. I was looking at the ASUS Xonar and noticed it has 1/4" output jacks which seemed kind of unique. 

I mostly listen to 2.1 so 5.1 isn't a high priority at this time, but it may become more important down the line. I have a very strong preference for studio monitors, if that impacts your recommendation. I listen through Ultrasone headphones from time to time, too. I realize this may be a vague question and that I may have to clarify.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to share what setups have worked/work well for you.

Thanks

Brad

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Sound Card - Yamaha HS8 Pair Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 12:08:57 pm »

Heya Brad!

If you have a very strong preference for studio monitors, you should also have a very strong reason. Studio monitors don't make sense as a categorical preference. If you're using studio monitors it is because of necessity, not preference. I'll explain that in a bit. ***

If you do need them, however, use the HS7's. The HS7 is the modern-day version of the Yamaha NS-10, which was made about 30 years ago. The NS-10 is the most common monitor used in recording studios, especially recording studios that have been around for a while. The best recording studios in the world are the ones that have been around the longest. The NS-10's you can find on eBay, but they are not a powered monitor.

The HS series monitor has two output options. XLR or 1/4". Both connections have the same sonic signature. XLR has a more reliable connection point because the grounding pin in the 1/4" jack can sometimes bend. You should pick whichever connection works easiest.

Since you are connecting your monitors to a computer, you should connect your monitors to a DAC or a midi interface. You can also connect them directly to your computer using a XLR to 1/8" "Y" cable. Using a dedicated sound card with studio monitors is the worst option out of the ones you have. It will add coloration to the sound of your monitors, interference, (remember, the inside of a computer tower is flooded with electrical signals and interference coming from the power supply and every other component on the motherboard) and impedance.  A discrete DAC (digital-to-analog converter) that sits on your desk outside of your computer a better option since you are using active monitors.

*** Explanation.
The best recording studios in the world are using monitors that are decades old because they sound terrible. The purpose behind studio monitors is to balance the volume (or mix) of sounds in a way that the song will sound the same across an array of platforms (headphones, car stereo, home audio) and to make any errors in that balance (or mix) as glaringly obvious as possible. An analogy: studio monitors are the equivalent of a woman with no makeup on.

A beautiful pair of active monitors that have the option to add an active sub (since you mentioned you like 2.1) is the AudioEngine A5+. They are $400 for the pair and I believe the sub is $350. About the same price as a pair of the HS8's.

This is just a caveat, but you can think of the difference of sound engineers and audiophiles as the chef and the person eating the meal. I'm still learning a lot on the audiophile side of things, but I've been a musician since I was about 8 years old. Worked as a sound engineer in 2003-7 and recently auditioned as an artist and got the green light to work with Electrokitty Recording Studios in Seattle, WA (electrokitty.com). They have worked with Dave Matthews, Carrie Underwood, Everclear, U-2, Nas, Kendrick Lamar, and a lot of very talented artists that aren't pop stars.

I'm really enjoying learning and listening to the beautiful world audiophiles get to experience. I hope this helped you a bit because I don't often get to reciprocate on this forum because I am still doing most of the learning on this side of things.

fooze

• Junior Woodchuck
  • TURN IT UP
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 11:35:36 am »

I use an Asus Xonar U7 in Windows and I'm pretty happy with it. You mentioned an ALSA soundcard so I assume you're on Linux or a Mac, make sure any soundcard you get has decent Linux or Mac drivers and support, and that the drivers are still being developed. Would you hear a difference from your integrated sound to an external soundcard? Maybe, maybe not. If your current setup is noisy when nothing is playing, this would probably be reduced.

The HS8's use pro audio connectors, and can take a balanced signal. This is generally meaningless for home use, where cable runs are short and equipment is rarely moved. You can, however, make full use of these balanced connections with a pro-sumer audio interface like http://us.focusrite.com/firewire-audio-interfaces/saffire-pro-24 (This particular one is firewire so it might not work in your setup.)

You can mix and match the balanced HS8's with an unbalanced sound card though, no issues there. I've run full balanced setups in the past, and connecting gear together with XLR or 1/4" cables is very satisfying and makes everything feel more solid and robust. At the moment, I'm using a laptop, a Xonar U7 and a home theatre receiver to drive a pair of passive studio monitors and a sub.

My advice, get the speakers you want, try them out with your current setup, then decide if you need a new soundcard.

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 12:16:58 pm »

Using a soundcard is going to add coloration and interference to the signal chain. An outboard DAC or a firewire audio interface like you mentioned are appropriate methods.

Quote from: fooze link=topic=101438.msg711260#msg711260 date=1452533736

My advice, get the speakers you want, try them out with your current setup, [i
then [/i]decide if you need a new soundcard.

fooze

• Junior Woodchuck
  • TURN IT UP
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 12:26:01 pm »

*shrug*

It's 2016, I use the word soundcard to refer to any device that works with a computer to make sound, whether it's internal or external. Also my EMU1212M never had a problem with noise, so the idea that internal soundcards are noisy is wrong.

Cheaply manufactured and designed internal or external sound can be noisy though.

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 01:21:10 pm »

I am referring to soundcards that use PCI lanes on a motherboard. Within that environment, there is a lot of EMI. The computer's power supply, for example.
*shrug*

It's 2016, I use the word soundcard to refer to any device that works with a computer to make sound, whether it's internal or external. Also my EMU1212M never had a problem with noise, so the idea that internal soundcards are noisy is wrong.

Cheaply manufactured and designed internal or external sound can be noisy though.

MrKleanWitHare

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 11:20:57 am »

Thank you all for the very helpful replies and feedback.

I know it's been a while since I posted this, so bear in mind my research continued for some time after this post. I ended up going with a pair of HS8's and a Focusrite 2i4 audio interface/DAW/soundcard. So far I couldn't be more pleased with the clarity of the sound I'm getting. Using ALSA (Linux) direct out with XLR connections. Haven't done any recording yet, but when I have the free time it'll be nice not to have to buy any additional hardware. The 2i4 supports 4.0 so I can clone stereo channels to my old monitors and have music playing in two different rooms which is nice, or convert from 5 to 4 channels (not really a fan ATM). It may be worth mentioned that the 2i4 works seamlessly with Linux right out of the box. Can't say the same with my Windows configuration. Who downloads drivers these days?

Bobby: Great post. I've been using monitors for a decade or so and ever since I first got a pair it's been hard to go back to standard home audio speakers. I think your analogy of a woman without makeup is spot on. I want to hear unadulterated, uncolored sound. Perhaps this is a strange reason but that is exactly the reason I like monitors.. It allows me to distinguish the quality of the audio across different albums. I really appreciate a good mix.
I think this stems from my limited experience with recording and mixing music. I'm looking for the album with great sound right into monitors or - a woman with "natural beauty." I really like your analogy  :P Not sure if I listened to anything through those AE's you mentioned, but I did some thorough experiments at Guitar Center and from what I could hear the HS8's were the clear choice. A sub would be nice in the future. Not so sure my neighbors would appreciate it as much as I would, though.

MrKleanWitHare

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 11:26:48 am »

Thanks again guys. Hopefully this will be a useful post for others, too. 

Good luck with your musical and aural endeavors, Bobby!

Brad

fooze

• Junior Woodchuck
  • TURN IT UP
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 09:46:46 pm »

Glad you're happy with the purchase!

The interface opens up a few new possibilities for more tweaking. You could add a subwoofer (or two!) running from channels 3 and 4 and get MC to do the crossovers.

Using it's high quality preamps, one of these http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/emm-6-electret-measurement-microphone.html , and Room EQ Wizard, you could get your in room response even closer to your ideal.

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 08:39:52 pm »

Thanks, Brad. It's a very competitive industry and the distribution of money is extremely skewed. If you're the 10,000th best musician in the world or the 10,000th best doctor or computer scientist you'll have job security and a comfortable income as the doctor or cs. Even artists that have gone platinum or even diamond get forgotten very quickly. All this is to say, I'd rather be talented than lucky, but any artist that has made a song that was special to the some part of the world had some luck as well. So sincerely thank you, I'll take all the more luck I can get.

Thanks again guys. Hopefully this will be a useful post for others, too. 

Good luck with your musical and aural endeavors, Bobby!

Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up