INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bugs we can't reproduce  (Read 8052 times)

Nikolay

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
Bugs we can't reproduce
« on: September 02, 2003, 01:03:59 pm »

Hi everybody,

Bellow you will find a list of bugs we can't reproduce. We would really appreciate if you can help us to fix them.

1) Most MP3-based radio stations will not stream properly and sound corrupted.  An example of a bad stream: http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/MPL/4509.mpl.  This stream will play in Winamp.  A WMA stream from the station works fine. by Rands

2) Continued streaming media problems as described in this thread:  
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=di splay;num=1060649695;start=0#0 by msc3

3) Install - select "Run Installed program now"  Doesn't work - again by ugilt

Thanks,
JRiver development team

NoCodeUK

Re: Bugs we can't reproduce
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 01:16:34 pm »

Run INstalled Program Now hasn't worked for me for the last 2 or 3 builds always worked fine before.

Sys Info

Media Center Registered 9.1.242 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1539 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 54 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive I:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive J:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive K:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive L:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-106D   Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
 Drive G: MITSUMI  CR-48X9TE          Addr: 2:1:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 01:18:25 pm »

I had the problem too (nr 3) but it was solved when I did an install when MC was not running.

If I keep it running, it wil not restart MC after installation.
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 02:37:38 pm »

Run INstalled Program Now hasn't worked for me for the last 2 or 3 builds always worked fine before.

I also had this problem randomly over the last 3-4 builds, but it seemed to work for the 243 install I just did. What I had noticed, is that Media Scheduler was restarted after the install but Media Center wasn't. However as I just said both seemed to restart fine on this current build.

jcouch93

• World Citizen
  • I'm confused...
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 04:30:31 pm »

I encountered the streaming issue a while back, the problem was the music soulding like a record that was being played too slow.  I paused and restarted the stream and it played fine.  Maybe something to do with the buffer?  I haven't encountered it since.

phatrabt

NoCodeUK

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2003, 12:26:25 am »

I unfortunately did not have any luck with this build.  Again MC failed to start after installation even though the box was checked.  I always do the same thing.  Close MC, click on the link, select open from current location in IE.  The installer downloads to a temp folder and then runs and installs.  I have always done this (or at least for about the last 150 builds!!) so nothing has changed.  The only thing I can think of is that maybe the start up time has increased so it appears MC hasn't loaded and when I click my quick launch button to start it it is actually already starting.  I will try next build with splash screen back on to see if it is starting up...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 07:21:57 am »

Most MP3-based radio stations will not stream properly and sound corrupted.

I upgraded my workstation yesterday.  MP3 streams play fine now.   Here's the full report:

JimH recently suggested that it might be related to problems with a VIA chipset.  I did some research and apparently there are a lot of known issues with VIA chipsets.  My new board is nForce-based.  Problems are now gone.

However, my laptop, which still exhibits the problem, is ALi-based.  The other machine that had problems with this belongs to a friend and I haven't had a chance to check out what kind of chipset she has.

I think this proves... something.  Most importantly, I don't think it's something programmatically wrong with MC although it is something that MC could probably be adjusted to meet although since it isn't a very wide-spread problem, I don't see it as being a high priority.

I'll look into it further for future versions of MC or maybe so I can provide a link to a fix for those still experiencing problems.
Toast goes in the toaster.

NanjingGuy

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2003, 09:30:43 pm »

I upgraded my workstation yesterday.  MP3 streams play fine now.   Here's the full report:

JimH recently suggested that it might be related to problems with a VIA chipset.  I did some research and apparently there are a lot of known issues with VIA chipsets.  My new board is nForce-based.  Problems are now gone..

Do you have the ability to set the PCI bus speed in your BIOS? I had a problem with my new ABit motherboard causing the same 'stutter' you have, but on all audio. Setting the PCI bus to 66/33 instead of automatic made the problem better.

Disabling the onboard 6.1 sound and getting an Audigy 2 completely solved it...

Something to look at anyway.

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2003, 07:24:20 am »

Do you have the ability to set the PCI bus speed in your BIOS?

Thanks for the tip.  I will definitely look into that.  I plan to take my other motherboard/CPU and build a media PC with it.
Toast goes in the toaster.
Pages: [1]   Go Up