INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: Honor existing media subtype tags  (Read 2362 times)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Request: Honor existing media subtype tags
« on: November 19, 2015, 10:13:24 pm »

Currently, if you are re-importing dvd rips (ifo) MC fills the media subtype field with "Movie" regardless of what value tag on import uses.
MC also ignores the sidecar's tag value in favour of "Movie".
So when re-importing, media subtype field will never be anything other than "Movie"

Can this please be changed so that the values from tag on import and sidecar files are honored.

This behavior has been in MC since version 17.
It is the most common problem I help troubleshoot with my family and friends.
Everytime someone copies a TV Show dvdrip (with sidecar) from the HTPC to their tablet or laptop it shows up in their Movie view instead of TV view.

Thanks.

CountryBumkin

Re: Request: Honor existing media subtype tags
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 07:14:36 am »

Until (if) this is fixed/changed, you might want to consider setting up a specific import folder on your family's/friends computers just for TV Show imports (Example: folder named "TVShows").

Then you can go to the "Library & Folders">"Configure auto import" and set this specific folder (ex. TVShows) to always apply "Media Sub Type" TV Show". You can get to this setting by selecting the folder (if folder is already existing) and then click on "Edit" and then "Apply these Tags (optional)".

Of course, you would setup a different import folder for Movies or Audio so as to not apply this tag to those files.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 10:00:25 am »

I think the issue is that IFO files are treated specially, and always import as Media Sub Type Movie.

I'm not sure why, though I'd guess it is something to do with how analysis works on those.

None of the statements above are true for any other file types. Just IFO rips.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 04:22:31 pm »

I think the issue is that IFO files are treated specially, and always import as Media Sub Type Movie
The first time they are imported, Tag On Import works. It's only when re-importing, or if there is a sidecar file that they change to "Movie".

None of the statements above are true for any other file types. Just IFO rips
Correct. If this behavior is intentional, should it not be applied to blu-rays as well?

Until (if) this is fixed/changed, you might want to consider setting up a specific import folder on your family's/friends computers just for TV Show imports
I have a view on my PCs to isolate the files with wrong Sub Types
Code: [Select]
[Filename]="\Video\" (([Filename]="\TV Show\" -[Media Sub Type]=[TV Show]) or ([Filename]="\Other\" -[Media Sub Type]=[Other]) or ([Filename]="\Movie\" -[Media Sub Type]=[Movie]) or ([Filename]="\Home Video\" -[Media Sub Type]=[Home Video]) or ([Filename]="\Music\" -[Media Sub Type]=[Music]))Though it's annoying to deal with all the time, I'm used to it and can deal with it easily.

For the people I support, my hope is that I don't have to:
- Set up a special view for them
- Make them put their videos in a special folder
- Explain to them how and why they have to go through the extra steps

There may be reasons to default ifo's to "Movie" Sub Type, but I don't think Tag On Import or Sidecars should be ignored.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 05:33:33 am »

Off-topic

not meaning to derail the post but as I'm just learning about video and only playback videos locally very sparingly ... why rip to IFO at all?

... is it better for some reason, better metadata, only format to use for blueray? Why not another file container like MKV

thx

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 02:42:59 pm »

why rip to IFO at all?
I have been ripping to ifo for about 10 years.
Back in the old days, people would burn them to dual layer dvd or shrink them to burn to single layer dvd.
Before phones and tablets, portable dvd players were used in cars and for travel. It was best not to bring the original disc as they typically got destroyed.

When hard drives started coming out in large sizes like 300GB, people stopped burning them and started to just store them.
I think this was around version 12 of MC.
JRiver was perfect because it allowed them to be easily imported, tagged, and played.
I don't know of any other player that worked/works so well with them.

Simple solutions like makemkv weren't around back then so I never used them.
I never had to because I only use JRiver and it's just so nice.
Now that these tools are available, I don't feel like converting 1800 ifo's to mkv.

I do occasionally convert to mkv:
- when menus are all screwed up and it's impossible to get to the main menu (Disney).
- when analyze audio doesn't work (It typically works after converted)
- when 2 movies are on the same disc

dvd is still my, and everyone I know's, preferred media. They are dirt cheap and easy to get.
dvd drives are dirt cheap too, especially compared to blu-ray drives which are now super expensive for some reason.
blu-ray is a waste of hard drive space and internet costs too much to stream where I live.
It takes a couple minutes to rip to ifo and there is no need to sort out special features.
The ifo plays on all of our phones, computers, and tablets.
Basically I just find ifo to be the easiest format to use.
Surely there are others like me, or has everyone moved on to mkv?
Pages: [1]   Go Up