INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will MC9 support AAC (at least uploading to iPod)  (Read 1365 times)

StoneRoses

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Will MC9 support AAC (at least uploading to iPod)
« on: August 30, 2003, 12:14:40 pm »

I'm Windows iPod user...

I hear about J River MC9 on iPodlounge.com (as the media management for iPod). I tried it and really like the features MC9 offers.

But MC9 lacks the ability to manage AAC files. Since almost all of my CD rips are in AAC format, so MC9 is useless for me. (iPod is my reason to consider MC9)

I think MC9 should support AAC at least allow it to be uploaded on iPod. I know that AAC has some licensing issue. But for my limit knowledge, if MC9 support AAC only for playback through 3rd party directshow filter or allow it to be uploaded to iPod the license is not required. If tagging the AAC files is requires license you can easily implement the workaround.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Will MC9 support AAC (at least uploading to iP
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 08:52:42 am »

But for my limit knowledge, if MC9 support AAC only for playback through 3rd party directshow filter or allow it to be uploaded to iPod the license is not required

This is not our understanding. The reason we do not support AAC is that the costs would be prohibitive.

Steve

Jynx

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 09:06:44 am »

Is there a cost for supporting just the tagging and upload of AAC files to the IPOD, I beleive vPod supports this and vPod is freeware?

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 09:19:21 am »

Jynx,

I think the answer is yes.

Steve

StoneRoses

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2003, 01:22:21 am »

I don't have much info about mp4 aac licensing but according to MPEG-4 AAC licensing, not mention about mp4 container licensing (which related to tagging), the licensing just for decoding and encoding.

Here is the MPEG4 AAC website:
http://www.vialicensing.com/products/mpeg4aac/license.terms.html

I don't know how company like 3ivx.com and mpegable.com can offer the mpeg4 decoding filter for free. (Their directshow filter can be used with MC9)

http://www.3ivx.com
http://www.mpegable.com

I tried MC9 for about 1 week and really like its user interface and features, but the lack of AAC support prevent me for buying it. (All of my CD collection are in AAC format)
Pages: [1]   Go Up