INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Center Channel Sound After Setting Bitstreaming to : None  (Read 6705 times)

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
No Center Channel Sound After Setting Bitstreaming to : None
« on: November 21, 2015, 04:14:31 pm »

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I upgraded incrementally from MC18 to MC21 and everything works as exactly as it did before, my library works perfectly etc and everything plays perfectly with bitstreaming enabled. But when I switch to bitstreaming : none in audio options and play a movie with say DTS MA HD I lose my center channel? The receiver just says 2ch pcm but the dsp says input and output are both 48 7ch DTS MA HD. It is not downmixing to 2ch but rather the left and right channels are playing but there is no center channel eg no dialogue at all. I am only running a 3.1 set up.

Any ideas?

Thanks

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: No Center Channel Sound After Setting Bitstreaming to : None
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 05:25:22 pm »

Are you connected to your receiver by SPDIF?  If so, it can only transmit two channels of PCM uncompressed, but can bitstream 6 channel compressed audio. So you may bumping up against the limits of the transmission method.

Other possibilities: you have a stereo mixing target in output format under DSP studio which was suppressed by bitstreaming.

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 11:03:58 pm »

Are you connected to your receiver by SPDIF?  If so, it can only transmit two channels of PCM uncompressed, but can bitstream 6 channel compressed audio. So you may bumping up against the limits of the transmission method.

Other possibilities: you have a stereo mixing target in output format under DSP studio which was suppressed by bitstreaming.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am using HDMI and there is nothing set up in DSP studio. It is not downmixing to 2ch but rather the left and right channels are playing but there is no center channel eg no dialogue at all. I am only running a 3.1 set up. Its as though something between the output of MC21 and the input of the receiver is losing the center channel. As soon as I switch back to bitstreaming the center channel is back again.

Thanks

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 11:32:35 pm »

Couple of things to check:
- Under Tools --> Options --> Audio what Audio Device have you selected (eg don't use Default, try one that says WASAPI)
- Also What do you have your Windows Audio set to (5.1, 2.0 etc)
JRiver CEO Elect

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 12:18:52 am »

Couple of things to check:
- Under Tools --> Options --> Audio what Audio Device have you selected (eg don't use Default, try one that says WASAPI)
- Also What do you have your Windows Audio set to (5.1, 2.0 etc)

Hi jmone,

- Under Tools --> Options --> Audio the Audio Device shows my receiver followed by [WASAPI].
- I checked the speaker setup in windows and it was set two 2ch, so I re ran the set up and changed it to 5.1 and rebooted and I noticed my receiver showed multi channel on the front and I thought that this was the solution however, when I went to play a bd iso with DTS MA HD the "Multichannel" on the front of the receiver switched back to "2ch" and lost the center again. I checked in windows speaker set up again and is is still set to 5.1. Its as though my receiver is not acknowledging the multi channel pcm signal coming from the PC. Even though during bitstreaming this is no problem. (EG if I play a movie with multichannel pcm encoded the receiver will play it whilst bit streaming and shows "Multi channel PCM" on the front screen.

Interestingly, I changed the "Output Encoding" in DSP studio to encode the pcm into Dolby Digital and selected source number of channles to 5.1 also in DSP Studio and the receiver accepted the Dolby Digital in 5.1 and showed "Dolby Digital" on the front screen even though bitstreaming was not selected. Obviously I don't want to play all my movies in Dolby Digital.

Im at a loss.

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 12:47:26 am »

Actually I have pinpointed a strange issue which may point to the cause. When I run the speaker setup in windows (below) and run the test tones in 5.1 sometimes the sound is still being remixed in to 2ch (but not on every time - sometimes it will play the test tone in each individual speaker as its supposed to but even then if I play a movie the sound will automatically switch back to 2ch) . I dont know why it would play the test tones property sometimes but then mix them down to 2 ch other times. 

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 12:49:00 am »

Mmmm very odd - When you set you PC Audio to 5.1 and press the "Test" does it play OK (and does your AVR report it as 5.1).  Also tryin in the MC DSP to set your speakers as 5.1 instead of Source # to test.  
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 12:50:07 am »

Sorry our posts crossed.....

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 12:52:02 am »

What are card are you using for the HDMI output and do you have the latest Drivers installed for it?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 12:53:47 am »

I wonder if some other app is hijacking the connection.  In Tools --> Options--> Audio--> ..device settings check "open device for exclusive access"
JRiver CEO Elect

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 01:33:24 am »

Mmmm very odd - When you set you PC Audio to 5.1 and press the "Test" does it play OK (and does your AVR report it as 5.1).  Also tryin in the MC DSP to set your speakers as 5.1 instead of Source # to test.  

lI set MC DSP to set speakers as 5.1 instead of Source # t  -  but problem still remains : (

I wonder if some other app is hijacking the connection.  In Tools --> Options--> Audio--> ..device settings check "open device for exclusive access"

Yes it is set fro exclusive access.

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 01:53:53 am »

I changed the Mixing: to JRSS mixing and unchecked everything below and it seems to be working fine! My question is though, what is JRSS doing to the sound? I don't want to use video clock if the sound is being colored or changed in some way by JRSS?

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
Re: No Center Channel Sound After Setting Bitstreaming to : None **SOLVED**
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 03:11:49 pm »

So just to recap it appears that my receiver, a Rotel RSP 1570, cannot accept 24bit 6ch @48khz without bistreaming enabled in which case in order for me to turn off bitstreaming and take advantage of video clock I need to enable 5.1 channles in DSP studio and set Mixing to JRSS which I assume means it is applying some processing to downmix the sound.

Can anyone comment on:

1) Is this an ideal situation? I don't really want another processor in pipeline.
2) What is JRSS is doing to the sound?
3) Does anyone have a receiver that can except 24bit 6ch @ 48khz without bitstreaming? Eg where you leave the Channels set to "Source number of Channels" when playing a movie with DTS MA HD with bitstreaming disabled.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 03:45:05 pm »

Just doubled check one of my setups using a Yami amp.  MC is set to decode (not bitstream) and to output source # of channels.  When I put the Yami in "Straight Mode" I can see it change from 2 to 5.1 and back again just fine (tested on 6ch 96/24 bit as well).  From memory all my AVR's I've had could do this over HDMI just fine ..... so I'd be surprised if the Rotel is the issue (but the RSP 1570 is old so who knows).

When you use DSP/JRSS what is MC outputting, eg is it 6ch 25 Bit @ 48khz?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 04:25:23 pm »

I don't know if this is related but a quick google shows users complaining with the Rotel of a HDMI Switching & Locking issue between sources - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1098666-rotel-rsp1570-having-issues-help.html

There seems to be talk of firmware updates?

JRiver CEO Elect

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 04:54:01 am »

I don't know if this is related but a quick google shows users complaining with the Rotel of a HDMI Switching & Locking issue between sources - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1098666-rotel-rsp1570-having-issues-help.html

There seems to be talk of firmware updates?

Yes, thanks jmone,  Im fully aware of the hdmi handshake issues this thing has and I have all the latest firmware installed. There haven't been any updates for at least 4 or 5 years now. This is not however the issue as there is still some sound just no centre channel.

Just doubled check one of my setups using a Yami amp.  MC is set to decode (not bitstream) and to output source # of channels.  When I put the Yami in "Straight Mode" I can see it change from 2 to 5.1 and back again just fine (tested on 6ch 96/24 bit as well).  From memory all my AVR's I've had could do this over HDMI just fine ..... so I'd be surprised if the Rotel is the issue (but the RSP 1570 is old so who knows).

When you use DSP/JRSS what is MC outputting, eg is it 6ch 25 Bit @ 48khz?

So I changed the DSP Channels back to source as Im determined to get to the bottom of this. I played a Movie with DTS MA HD (Star Wars - The Phantom Menace) and again the centre channel is gone but all other channels are there including the sub! The rotel shows only a L R and SW on the front panel and this is what DSP is reporting (7ch to 7ch):

But When I play this BD ISO also with DTS MA HD (E W & F and Chicago Live at the Greek) I get my centre channel back (all channels are there now on the front panel of the rotel) and DSP output says 6ch to 6ch.

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
Re: No Center Channel Sound After Setting Bitstreaming to: None
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 05:25:22 am »

I have narrowed this issue down and I may even change the title or start a new thread.

So to recap again:

I am setting bitstreaming to: None and setting channels in DSP to "Source" in order to use video clock and I am getting this strange anomaly.  I have tried a few different Blu ray movies and it appears that all movies with 6ch or 8ch including DTS MA HD or DTS MA HD 5.1 or DTS MA HD 7.1 or True HD 7.1ch will all play fine and I can hear all channels through the receiver but when I play a movie that has a DTS MA HD 7 ch soundtrack eg ALL THE STAR WARS MOVIES the center channel is lost!

Any ideas!

I'm stumped!
Pages: [1]   Go Up