INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Speaker recommendation  (Read 2457 times)

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
OT - Speaker recommendation
« on: September 03, 2003, 12:38:52 pm »

Well, it finally happened.   I blew out my Boston speakers...
:-[

I did a search on the boards and didn't see anything on this.  Can anyone recommend a replacement brand/model?  I am looking for a 2.1 setup.  I have heard good things about Klipisch ProMedia 2.1....any ideas?  I have a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy sound card which came with my Gateway 700 a year ago.

I know this is largely a personal preference thing, but I thought it might be a good idea to get some feedback from people who are serious about their audio.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice you can provide.
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re: OT - Speaker recommendation
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 12:45:17 pm »

How much you willing to spend ?

Are we talking computer speakers or floor-standing audio speakers ?

With an Audigy I would recommend 5.1 surround sound.

The improvement would be amazing compared to an old 2.1.

I use a Logitech Z-680 5.1 system (about $300 USD).  They are computer speakers with 550 watts of powere.  They really rock ;D

The Logitech sounds as good as many floor-standing units.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

LisaRCT

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 12:47:25 pm »

I am in love with my Altec 6.21's, not as sweet as my Sennheiser headphones, but no speaker has met that standard yet for me.  
Loud is beautiful if it is CLEAN, and these are clear, clean, crisp, and have plenty of db's.  
I'd say find them, give them a listen and see.  Then again I have always been partial to the JBL/Altec sound.

http://www.altecmm.com/product_details.asp?pID=621&sID=2

Just my $.03   ;D

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 01:02:02 pm »

Thanks for the replys....

I was thinking about spending about 150-200 USD, but I was thinking about a 2.1 system.  I am looking for desktop speakers, really for listening to my 128-bitrate mp3s.  Are 5.1 systems really worth it when I'm only listening to music?  I have a 5.1 surround sound system for my DVD's (on my TV) but I only really listen to music on my PC.

Any other opinions?

Thanks....
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 01:29:54 pm »

My vote goes to Sennheiser 580's or 600's.  Best sound for the money in my opinion.  In fact, best sound I've ever heard.

Of course they're cans, not a 2.1 setup, so I'm probably not helping :P
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

LonWar

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2003, 01:34:27 pm »

I have a set of camebridge 5.1 with seperate amp..

If I had to do it again, I would get a Yamaha amp and a set of Paradigm atoms or comperable Polk Audio speaker.

These computer speakers aren't bad for games, but crappy for music!
-

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 01:41:40 pm »

Matt, you ever seen the Sony's with the open ear? It's like personal speakers for your ears, and it won't completely shut out sounds around you. I use them as my ears get irritated easily with headphones, but these never actually touch the ears, and so delightful to listen to, a personal sound stage environement.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=fZM3L2wDWkI3N1NVIHE9JCMNkDp_P9-Z5vc=?CategoryName=hav_HAVDepartmentAccessories_Headphones_VirtualDolby%2eDigital&ProductSKU=MDRDS8000&Dept=hav

As for speakers, JBL makes a real nice 2.1 setup and you won't find a better name in speakers for computers. Plus they have a setup that looks very hip.

Dan Da Man

• World Citizen
  • I rule da-Man.com!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2003, 01:55:10 pm »

I have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and play my 128k mp3s on it and they sound good, imho.

And, man, they can really kick out the sound when you turn it up, epsecially that woofer.

Dan "da Man"

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2003, 02:01:20 pm »

Matt, you ever seen the Sony's with the open ear? It's like personal speakers for your ears, and it won't completely shut out sounds around you. I use them as my ears get irritated easily with headphones, but these never actually touch the ears, and so delightful to listen to, a personal sound stage environement.

I'm with you.  I've had some plunge-your-ear ones and also some squish-your-ear ones.  I could never use them for very long.  Senn's are open ear so they're really comfortable.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2003, 02:06:07 pm »

>>> Are 5.1 systems really worth it when I'm only listening to music?<<<

YES, YES, YES.

Just turn off the rear speakers on any 5.1 system & you wonder where the depth of the sound field went to.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2003, 10:00:10 pm »

Use to have a Klipsch 2.1 at my current location. Then upgraded (or maybe downgraded) to a Logitech THX 560 4.1 System. Not that I am really regretting as my computer is also my gaming, dvd and all in one entertainment system, and 4.1 really makes a lot of difference. Of course 5.1 would sound a whole lot better. If only money was not an issue.

Have to say, Klipsch Satellite is by far one of the best satellite  out there and as Dan Da Man said, it can really pump out some good volume.

If you are looking for a good computer speakers 2.1 setup, I would heartily recommend Klipsch. And that is after listening to Altec Lansin 621, and Klipsch 2.1 and Logitech (which don't come in 2.1 other than their low end version).

Just my 2 cents.
Don't Panic!

jleerigby

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2003, 10:59:43 pm »

I have a 5.1 set up now and the difference is really amazing.  I'm using an Audigy2 connected to a Denon AVR3802 with speakers from Bowers & Wilkins - 2 Front Floorstanders (B&W DM603), a centre (LCR600), 2 rears, (B&W DM601) and a Sub (B&W ASW675).  The sound is awesome.  These speakers are fantasic value for money but perhaps a little more than you were suggesting you might spend.

You need to copy and paste these links for them to work:
http://www.cinenow.com/us/materiel.php3/tid,4/id,1962/
http://www.cinenow.com/us/materiel.php3/tid,4/id,1474/
http://www.cinenow.com/us/materiel.php3/tid,4/id,1609/
Pages: [1]   Go Up