INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Start up into Live TV  (Read 5838 times)

chimpawoo

• Recent member
Auto Start up into Live TV
« on: November 22, 2015, 03:12:48 pm »

How can i have it so when JRiver starts it launches directly into live tv (preferably the last channel viewed)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Auto Start up into Live TV
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 04:22:29 pm »

Try setting MC to start in Last Location.  It's in the Startup options.

chimpawoo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 04:23:15 pm »

Try setting MC to start in Last Location.  It's in the Startup options.

Tried that, it did nothing.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 06:30:32 pm »

Yeah...that option never worked for me either...but I am interested in finding a solution if you find one!  I am just using a MCC command from my remote to launch in live TV view on one client PC I have...I specifically tune to channel 1015 though, since tuning to last used channel so far doesn't work on a client.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 06:55:59 pm »

Open text editor and create a new file with the following lines -

mc21.exe
mc21.exe /MCC 30002
exit

Save it as *name*.cmd

30002 is Play TV, which will (should?) automatically put you on the last channel viewed.

If you want to specify a channel, use

mc21.exe /MCC 30002,*Channel Number*

Enjoy :-)

PS: Here is a link to the Media Center Core commands section of the wiki - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Core_Commands. You have the basics with the command above, and you can do plenty of things using the /MCC flag :-)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 07:06:45 pm »

I believe the above assumes that MC21 server is running (which is easy enough to set in the settings to autostart on boot), and that it is being done from either a stand alone box, or on the server.  Please correct me if I am wrong imugli.

chimpawoo

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 07:10:48 pm »

Open text editor and create a new file with the following lines -

mc21.exe
mc21.exe /MCC 30002
exit

Save it as *name*.cmd

30002 is Play TV, which will (should?) automatically put you on the last channel viewed.

If you want to specify a channel, use

mc21.exe /MCC 30002,*Channel Number*

Enjoy :-)

PS: Here is a link to the Media Center Core commands section of the wiki - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Core_Commands. You have the basics with the command above, and you can do plenty of things using the /MCC flag :-)

Can this be ran from task scheduler (windows) or is this something i need to put into a separate script program?

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 07:16:37 pm »

I run one of my clients with this command from task scheduler, but I specify a channel.  Works fine.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 07:24:00 pm »

I believe the above assumes that MC21 server is running (which is easy enough to set in the settings to autostart on boot), and that it is being done from either a stand alone box, or on the server.  Please correct me if I am wrong imugli.

I haven't tested from a client, so couldn't say. Sorry. If you have, I'm happy to take your word for it.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 07:26:00 pm »

I haven't tested from a client, so couldn't say. Sorry. If you have, I'm happy to take your word for it.
:) I'm just basing this on admittedly old info, but last I heard that was the case, but they were working on making it work on a client.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 12:03:46 am »

:) I'm just basing this on admittedly old info, but last I heard that was the case, but they were working on making it work on a client.

I've confirmed this is still the case. :-)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 12:30:57 am »

How can i have it so when JRiver starts it launches directly into live tv (preferably the last channel viewed)

Wow. This question opened a can of worms for me.  :o

First, the command "/mcc 30002,0" was, in the past at some time, supposed to start Live TV at the previously played channel. But then that stopped working at some time.

So, the work around was to use the command "/mcc 30002,#", where # was the channel number you wanted to start playing. This is what I initially did, using the command "/mcc 30002,2" programed to the "Live TV" button on my remote control.

Then in MC20.0.81, and new MCC Command, 10064, was introduced to allow flicking back to the previous TV Channel. This could be programed to a remote control button, to make it easy to jump back and forward between two stations. If you were already in Theatre View, which I always was on my HTPC, the command also started Live TV playback, in addition to switching to the Previous Channel. I reprogramed my "Live TV" button to do just that. Neat.

Which brings us to now. Some things have been fixed.
The "/mcc 30002,0" command, programed into the remote control button, will start Live TV and take you to the previous channel that was played.
The "/mcc 30002" command, programed into the remote control button, will also start Live TV and take you to the previous channel that was played. The ",0" is assumed.

Those functions were broken previously, which is why I used the work around and then the 10064 command. Someone fixed these, but I haven't seen anything about them mentioned in the build threads.

As the older 30002 command had been fixed, I tried removing the specific command programing from the "Live TV" button on my remote control. Low and behold, the Live TV button still starts Live TV in the previously playing channel, just as the 10064 command did. I suspect the default MC command associated with the Live TV button on an MCE remote is, in fact, "/mcc 30002" or "/mcc 30002,0" both of which now work.

So I am back to a more default Remote Control setup, which means less maintenance for me during major version upgrades, as the remote button command customisations included the MC version, in the form of the command; "Run: mc21.exe /mcc 10064". Even better.

So now to the question at hand, but from the point of view of starting MC using a Windows Shortcut, rather than a Windows Task Scheduler task.

On a MC Server PC
I couldn't get Imugli's solution to work on my Server at all, when running it from a Windows shortcut or command file directly. It started the MC UI, because I had the Media Server running, and started Live TV on the previously played channel, but MC started in and stayed in Standard View, rather than switching to Display View (full screen TV) as it should have. I suspect Imugli's solution would work if run from the Windows Task Scheduler, but as I was running it from a Desktop icon, using a cmd file to run the commands, just as he described, it didn't want to play ball. So I played around for a while and came up with an alternative that works from a desktop icon;

start "Starting Media Center" "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Media Center 21.exe"
timeout /T 4
mc21.exe /mcc 30002

Notes:
1. You need to use the "start" command to call the full Media Center program first, and you must supply a heading in quotes for the window the cmd file opens. I used the name "Starting Media Center" as the name in the command above.
2. You need to allow a pause between starting MC, and issuing the command to start Live TV. On the server I used 4 seconds, which was sufficient.
3. The exit command isn't needed when using a shortcut or cmd file to start MC this way.
4. This can't be done just in a Windows Shortcut, and needs the Windows command file to run the two distinct commands, with a delay between them.

On a MC Client PC
The situation changes again on a MC Client PC, and the Client doesn't save the Previous Channel in the registry or elsewhere, as the Server does. So you can't start Live TV from a Windows Shortcut plus Windows Command file. But you can start Live TV on a specific channel. So for a MC Client, the Windows Command file needs to be;

start "Starting Media Center" "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Media Center 21.exe"
timeout /T 6
mc21.exe /mcc 30002,#

Notes:
1. The "#" denotes the channel you wish to start Live TV on.
2. You still need to use the "start" command to call the full Media Center program first, and you must supply a heading in quotes for the window the cmd file opens. I used the name "Starting Media Center" as the name in the command above.
2. You need to allow a pause between starting MC, and issuing the command to start Live TV. On the Client I needed 6 seconds, although I could have maybe used less. A Client takes a while to start and connect to the Server, download the library, and be ready to accept commands. Testing showed 6 seconds was good for my environment.
3. The exit command isn't needed when using a shortcut or cmd file to start MC this way.
4. This can't be done just in a Windows Shortcut, and needs the Windows command file to run the two distinct commands, with a delay between them.
5. I believe that making it possible for a MC Client to store the Previous Channel it played is still on the list of things to do at JRiver. If it uses the 30002 command, then it should also be able to start a MC Client in Live TV showing the Previous Channel.

It is a bit of a shame that a Windows Shortcut can't be modified to use the command;
"C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Media Center 21.exe" /mcc 30002
or
"C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Media Center 21.exe" /mcc 10064

to start Live TV in the previous channel, at least on the server. But it won't work.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 01:51:55 am »

Wow. This question opened a can of worms for me.  :o

First, the command "/mcc 30002,0" was, in the past at some time, supposed to start Live TV at the previously played channel. But then that stopped working at some time.

So, the work around was to use the command "/mcc 30002,#", where # was the channel number you wanted to start playing. This is what I initially did, using the command "/mcc 30002,2" programed to the "Live TV" button on my remote control.

Then in MC20.0.81, and new MCC Command, 10064, was introduced to allow flicking back to the previous TV Channel. This could be programed to a remote control button, to make it easy to jump back and forward between two stations. If you were already in Theatre View, which I always was on my HTPC, the command also started Live TV playback, in addition to switching to the Previous Channel. I reprogramed my "Live TV" button to do just that. Neat.

Which brings us to now. Some things have been fixed.
The "/mcc 30002,0" command, programed into the remote control button, will start Live TV and take you to the previous channel that was played.
The "/mcc 30002" command, programed into the remote control button, will also start Live TV and take you to the previous channel that was played. The ",0" is assumed.

Those functions were broken previously, which is why I used the work around and then the 10064 command. Someone fixed these, but I haven't seen anything about them mentioned in the build threads.

As the older 30002 command had been fixed, I tried removing the specific command programing from the "Live TV" button on my remote control. Low and behold, the Live TV button still starts Live TV in the previously playing channel, just as the 10064 command did. I suspect the default MC command associated with the Live TV button on an MCE remote is, in fact, "/mcc 30002" or "/mcc 30002,0" both of which now work.

So I am back to a more default Remote Control setup, which means less maintenance for me during major version upgrades, as the remote button command customisations included the MC version, in the form of the command; "Run: mc21.exe /mcc 10064". Even better.

So now to the question at hand, but from the point of view of starting MC using a Windows Shortcut, rather than a Windows Task Scheduler task.

On a MC Server PC
I couldn't get Imugli's solution to work on my Server at all, when running it from a Windows shortcut or command file directly. It started the MC UI, because I had the Media Server running, and started Live TV on the previously played channel, but MC started in and stayed in Standard View, rather than switching to Display View (full screen TV) as it should have. I suspect Imugli's solution would work if run from the Windows Task Scheduler, but as I was running it from a Desktop icon, using a cmd file to run the commands, just as he described, it didn't want to play ball. So I played around for a while and came up with an alternative that works from a desktop icon;

timeout /T 4
mc21.exe /mcc 30002

Notes:
1. You need to use the "start" command to call the full Media Center program first, and you must supply a heading in quotes for the window the cmd file opens. I used the name "Starting Media Center" as the name in the command above.
2. You need to allow a pause between starting MC, and issuing the command to start Live TV. On the server I used 4 seconds, which was sufficient.

On a MC Client PC
The situation changes again on a MC Client PC, and the Client doesn't save the Previous Channel in the registry or elsewhere, as the Server does. So you can't start Live TV from a Windows Shortcut plus Windows Command file. But you can start Live TV on a specific channel. So for a MC Client, the Windows Command file needs to be;

timeout /T 6
mc21.exe /mcc 30002,#

Notes:
1. The "#" denotes the channel you wish to start Live TV on.
2. You still need to use the "start" command to call the full Media Center program first, and you must supply a heading in quotes for the window the cmd file opens. I used the name "Starting Media Center" as the name in the command above.
2. You need to allow a pause between starting MC, and issuing the command to start Live TV. On the Client I needed 6 seconds, although I could have maybe used less. A Client takes a while to start and connect to the Server, download the library, and be ready to accept commands. Testing showed 6 seconds was good for my environment.
5. I believe that making it possible for a MC Client to store the Previous Channel it played is still on the list of things to do at JRiver. If it uses the 30002 command, then it should also be able to start a MC Client in Live TV showing the Previous Channel.

It is a bit of a shame that a Windows Shortcut can't be modified to use the command;
"C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Media Center 21.exe" /mcc 30002
or
"C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Media Center 21.exe" /mcc 10064

to start Live TV in the previous channel, at least on the server. But it won't work.

That's really strange... I'm running the exact .cmd file I posted on Windows 7 and it opens MC and plays live tv in display view (full screen).

In Tools > Options > General > Behaviour do you have Jump on Play (Video) set to Display View?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 05:30:15 am »

Yep. I didn't do heaps of problem analysis in settings, but I tried quite a few things. MC is set to start in Theatre View as well. But it kept starting in Standard View. I think it may have something to do with the pause needed between commands. But I don't know.

If I get time I'll try again with your exact cmd file.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

chimpawoo

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 01:03:08 pm »

Lots to digest, looks like it has a work around.  I have not gotten around to testing this function just yet had a busy day yesterday playing Disney Infinity with the kiddo's
Pages: [1]   Go Up