INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion for TV recording rules  (Read 2489 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Suggestion for TV recording rules
« on: November 23, 2015, 01:19:52 pm »

It would be nice to be able to add a "new" recording subscription from within Standard View >Television >Recording Rules.

I know I can take an existing subscription and change/edit the "Rule Name", and the "Search by rules" (i.e. Name or Series Name) to create a different/new subscription, but then I lose an existing subscription.

* Would it be possible to add a button on the Television >Recording Rules page to "Add a New Rule"?

* Also, can you add a few more fields to the search rules, like "Year", "Date" and "Season"? And if so, then we need the "=", "<" and ">" parameters.

This way I could set up my subscription to only record TV Series that is "less than some Year" (for example, I may want to record the series "Two and Half Men" but I don't want the shows after Charlie Sheen left so I would do something like only record shows where the "Year < 2011 (or "Season <= 9"). Another example would be record the new (2015) series "The Odd Couple" but not the original  series from 1970.

Thanks for considering.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
Re: Suggestion for TV recording rules
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 01:44:42 pm »

+1  ;D

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 03:53:14 pm »

YES :D

That would also work very nicely for series such as Battlestar Galactica that had an "old" 1970 series & a "new" 2000 series.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 04:03:59 pm »

I could see that the "Add a New Rule" feature would be a convenience, but there is a quick and easy method to do what you want now without losing an existing subscription.

Just go to Standard View>Television>All Programs, pick any program in the future, and then record button becomes available, click it, and set up any recording subscription you want.

The only problem with that is that the subscription retains the original program name, which is annoying, and is why I have asked for that field to be editable as well, in addition to having the subscription Rule Name editable. The Rule Name is the field used for sorting and display in the Recording Rules list, but it would be nice to create a rule with the correct Program Name, and a configurable, meaningful Rule Name. I would use this to set up rules for programs that aren't in the current EPG, but I expect to appear in the future, and I want to capture without having to remember to create a rule when they are first scheduled. Thus, I could avoid missing the first episodes if I didn't see that the program had started to be broadcast.

I have also asked for additional fields to be available for rules, so I add my voice to that request.

Of course, all of this relies on quality EPG data, so we will need to take into account the possibility of missing data when setting up rules.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 04:58:35 pm »

I could see that the "Add a New Rule" feature would be a convenience, but there is a quick and easy method to do what you want now without losing an existing subscription.

Just go to Standard View>Television>All Programs, pick any program in the future, and then record button becomes available, click it, and set up any recording subscription you want.

The only problem with that is that the subscription retains the original program name, which is annoying, and is why I have asked for that field to be editable as well, in addition to having the subscription Rule Name editable. Of course, all of this relies on quality EPG data, so we will need to take into account the possibility of missing data when setting up rules.  8)

Good idea.
BTW - I was able to edit the "Subscription Rule Name" when I modified an exiting subscription to something new, so either this capability has been added since you last tried, or I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 05:33:34 pm »

Yeah I can edit the "Subscription Rule Name", but I cant edit the original Program Name used to create the rule.

See image.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 06:02:04 pm »

Actually, I can edit the original Program Name, by first creating a time based recording, where I can edit the Program Name, and then changing that recording rule to a subscription, which then allows me to also edit the "Subscription Rule Name". I just confirmed this again.

I just can't edit the original Program Name if I create a Subscription Rule in one step.

greynolds

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 07:09:30 pm »

Agreed on all of the above.  These changes would make the recently improved recording rule functionality even better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up