INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id kit on Intel NUC NUC5CPYH - No GUI?  (Read 13709 times)

David Roe

• Recent member
Id kit on Intel NUC NUC5CPYH - No GUI?
« on: November 24, 2015, 10:46:48 am »

Hi,
I've installed the Id USB kit on an Intel NUC NUC5CPYH that I had here.  I can get the text-only menu, and can control it remotely with Gizmo, but the GUI option does not work (it re-boots the NUC).

Is there something I can do to make this work?  Is the Id software compatible with this NUC's video hardware? 

I read here somewhere of possible incompatibilities if using other NUC hardware, I hope not!  Local GUI display and control would be important to me. thanks,  David

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Id kit on Intel NUC NUC5CPYH - No GUI?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 10:56:10 am »

Hi,
I've installed the Id USB kit on an Intel NUC NUC5CPYH that I had here.  I can get the text-only menu, and can control it remotely with Gizmo, but the GUI option does not work (it re-boots the NUC).

Is there something I can do to make this work?  Is the Id software compatible with this NUC's video hardware? 

I read here somewhere of possible incompatibilities if using other NUC hardware, I hope not!  Local GUI display and control would be important to me. thanks,  David
What's the video hardware in that model?
I'm guessing it's too new for the XServer in the Id USB Kit.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 10:56:50 am »

It's probably the video driver.  You might check the Intel site to see if you can update.

I just ordered one to take a look at, so next week we should know the answer.

David Roe

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 02:06:33 pm »

What's the video hardware in that model?
I'm guessing it's too new for the XServer in the Id USB Kit.

Hi Bob,
Intel's web page only says "Intel HD Graphics".  I couldn't find a reference to a specific video chipset.   Here's all I could find so far at Intel:
(...)
Intel® Celeron® processor N3050  
(2.16 GHz Dual Core, 6W TDP)
Graphics
• Intel® HD Graphics
• One HDMI* 1.4b port supporting an ultra-high definition 4K 30 Hz display
• One VGA port
•3D graphics hardware acceleration supporting DirectX*11.1, OpenCL* 1.2, OGL ESHalti/2.0/1.1, OpenGL* 4.2
•Video decode hardware acceleration supporting H.265/HEVC @ Level 5, H.264 @ Level 5.2, MPEG2, MVC, VC-1, WMV9, JPEG and VP8 formats
•Video encode hardware acceleration supporting H.264@ Level 5.1, JPEG and MVC formats
•High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) 1.4/2.2 support for content protection

One video difference between the JRiver (OEM) Intel® NUC DN2820FYKH model and
this NUC5CPYH model is this one has both VGA and HDMI outputs.  

The text menu (.. 99 Shutdown, etc.) works on either output, but is more stable on VGA out.
(HDMI out shows video tearing and cuts out occasionally to black screen, then pops back to visible in a few seconds)
HDMI out doesn't pick up the BIOS screen and Debian bootup sequence and VGA does (HDMI starts displaying around the time of network connect wait)
Thanks for your help, David

David Roe

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 02:21:14 pm »

It's probably the video driver.  You might check the Intel site to see if you can update.

I just ordered one to take a look at, so next week we should know the answer.

Hi JimH,
Thanks for ordering one to investigate!   It has been on sale recently bundled with SSD & RAM at quite a good price.

Intel's download page has drivers for Windows 10 but I found none for Linux Debian.

I did update it successfully last week to the most recent BIOS, which did not affect the GUI not displaying for Id.

Thanks for your help!
David

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 02:32:23 pm »

You could probably use VNC to access it from another machine.

David Roe

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 03:24:55 pm »

You could probably use VNC to access it from another machine.

maybe ... but   *there is no desktop to access*   
It doesn't look like the video gets initialized; so there are no apparent desktop processes running or windows manager present to VNC to. 
(sorry my Linux knowledge is quite limited, I was hoping this would be more turn-key!)

the   "99 Shutdown "  screen (the only screen I can get)  is a console out only, not a GUI, so I have no other GUI windows running MC. 
No GUI, no pull-down menus, no advanced setup, no wireless, no album displays - just tedious and archaic text setup for shares and USB drives.
I could maybe access that *same 99 screen* with PuTTY, but it'd still be console and not GUI.

Thanks, David

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 04:49:47 pm »

Give us a few days to see what we can learn about the NUC you have.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 05:45:11 pm »

maybe ... but   *there is no desktop to access*   
It doesn't look like the video gets initialized; so there are no apparent desktop processes running or windows manager present to VNC to. 
(sorry my Linux knowledge is quite limited, I was hoping this would be more turn-key!)

the   "99 Shutdown "  screen (the only screen I can get)  is a console out only, not a GUI, so I have no other GUI windows running MC. 
No GUI, no pull-down menus, no advanced setup, no wireless, no album displays - just tedious and archaic text setup for shares and USB drives.
I could maybe access that *same 99 screen* with PuTTY, but it'd still be console and not GUI.

Thanks, David

What is the build number of your USB Kit?
The recent ones all do support remote desktop or VNC access even when booted to the text screen.

Since the display isn't working properly on boot even, it's likely that the linux kernel on the Id USB kit doesn't support the graphics chipset also (I assumed that the XServer did not based on your previous report).

David Roe

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 12:00:40 pm »

Give us a few days to see what we can learn about the NUC you have.

OK - thank you very much!  David

David Roe

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 12:07:56 pm »

What is the build number of your USB Kit?
The recent ones all do support remote desktop or VNC access even when booted to the text screen.

Since the display isn't working properly on boot even, it's likely that the linux kernel on the Id USB kit doesn't support the graphics chipset also (I assumed that the XServer did not based on your previous report).

Hi,
I have this listed:
ID: 20.0.100
MC: 20.0.133

I will attempt a VNC connection to the Id this afternoon.
thanks!
David

David Roe

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 12:29:19 pm »

I tried a VNC connection to my Id device, and received this error message:

"Error in TightVNC Viewer: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

thanks,
David

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 11:28:21 am »

I tried a VNC connection to my Id device, and received this error message:

"Error in TightVNC Viewer: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

thanks,
David
Those are up to date versions of the MC and MediaCenter so you should have remote desktop and vnc support.
Can you check the IP on the Id and try again?
There is a password on the Id which can be changed from the Id menu. The default password is: remote

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 10:11:10 am »

Bob has made some progress on this.  He has the GUI working.  Toslink and HDMI work.

David Roe

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 01:30:15 pm »

Those are up to date versions of the MC and MediaCenter so you should have remote desktop and vnc support.
Can you check the IP on the Id and try again?
There is a password on the Id which can be changed from the Id menu. The default password is: remote

Hi!
I updated my software and tried this again and a remote VNC connection from my PC to the Id text screen worked twice following simple reboots.  
Several packages were apparently updated but my base release level is still  iD:20.0.100 & MC: 20.0.133

1) on the two simple reboots, text menu was accessable both locally and from the initiated VNC connection from my PC.

2) upon enabling menu option "3. Text with HDMI initialization", the system initiated a normal shutdown/reboot, then the text menu was again accessable both locally and from the VNC connection.

3) upon enabling menu option "1. GUI", the system initiated a normal shutdown/reboot, the screen showed the normal Debian boot up messages, the network connect wait states, then the screen went black
and was not operable either locally or accessable via VNC  (VNC's connection attempt times out).   I shut down by touching the power button once to initiate normal shutdown.  On re-power-up,
the text menu was again visible and operable locally but all VNC connection attempts time out.  No GUI appeared.   At all subsequent times now I've been unable to get a VNC connection, but the local
"99 shutdown" text menu is operable.

thanks!
David

David

David Roe

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 01:32:11 pm »

Bob has made some progress on this.  He has the GUI working.  Toslink and HDMI work.

Thanks for your help!  I'll work with it this afternoon.

I apologize for this delay in my response, we've been travelling and just returned -
David

David Roe

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 01:39:40 pm »

For Bob;
I see a few error messages scroll by during the software update process.  all I can read is what's remaining on screen:
Err http://superid.jriver.com wheezy/main i386 Packages  403 Forbidden
W: Failed to fetch http://superid.jriver.com/apt/debian/dists/wheezy/main/binary-i386/Packages   403 Forbidden

W: Failed to fetch http://superid.jriver.com/aptos/debian/dists/wheezy/main/binary-i386/Packages  403 Forbidden

E: Some index files failed to download.  They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
{...}

I can't tell if these are of concern, so I'm just relaying what I see.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 04:35:35 pm »

The update server is not enabled right now because of the next build being in Beta.

For the new Id, there will probably be a new Id stick build image, that's not ready to go yet.

David Roe

• Recent member
Re: Id kit on Intel NUC NUC5CPYH - No GUI? SOLVED!
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 01:05:48 pm »

Hi Bob,

Success!  I'm looking at the GUI screen via VNC and it has both the JRiver Media Center 20 window and the mainmenu "99 Shutdown" menu on screen.
The patch that you provided fixed the issue that I had.

I'm now looking forward to getting my DAC hooked up and listening to some music!

thanks for your help! 
Excellent support, my friend, from you, and JimH, and JRiver in general.

I conclude that JRiver Media Center 20 is now fully functional on an Intel NUC 5CPYH.
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up