INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Tuners / Multiple Streams  (Read 2340 times)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
Multiple Tuners / Multiple Streams
« on: November 26, 2015, 05:20:28 pm »

Hi,
Currently evaluating TV functionality.
I have 3 cablecard tuners available (HDHomerun) on a server.  
Does the server have ability to stream 3 distinct TV channel (i.e. NBC, CBS, TBS) streams to 3 separate clients at same time?
I'm asking because I don't see that behavior.  I seem to be limited to 1 live TV stream from the server broadcast to all clients.
Thanks.
Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multiple Tuners / Multiple Streams
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 07:20:40 pm »

Welcome Aboard!

The number of channels you can stream should only be limited by the number of tuners available (and in fact if one client is already watching a channel, I think (but haven't tested) you should be able to stream that channel to as many clients as you like without taking up another tuner.

If you are loading the library from the server on your client, you should have the TV guide data and you should be able to choose any channel in the guide and play it.

Is this not occurring?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 02:50:00 am »

I've got 2 HDHR DVB-T tuners. With multiple installations of MC.

As long as each instance of MC has been configured to recognise HDHR (and HDHR is set up locally) then I have no dramas picking up a tuner stream over my network. On that score, the main machines are wired with Cat 6 and 1Gb ports. I'd suggest the same while you set up, to rule out any Wi-Fi funnies that might be going on.

If all the streams are used then it comes up as unavailable for MC. An unlikely situation for you with a total of 6 streams on offer.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 10:33:01 am »

Welcome Aboard!

The number of channels you can stream should only be limited by the number of tuners available (and in fact if one client is already watching a channel, I think (but haven't tested) you should be able to stream that channel to as many clients as you like without taking up another tuner.

If you are loading the library from the server on your client, you should have the TV guide data and you should be able to choose any channel in the guide and play it.

Is this not occurring?
Let me clarify after a little more testing....
Server 1 with HDHomerun network tuner
Client 1  No tuner

Server  - Start off watching ESPN
Client 1 - Start off watching ESPN
Server 1 - Change channel to NBC
Client 1 - Live TV  stream Changes to NBC.  Client's *display* indicates still watching ESPN (even though on NBC)

Same thing in reverse...
Server 1 - Start off watching ESPN
Client 1 - Start off watching ESPN
Client 1 - Change channel to NBC
Server - Live TV stream changes to NBC.  Server's *display* indicates watching ESPN (even though on NBC)
This seems like a bug to me.

As long as I keep server and client on different channels it seems to work as expected:
Server 1 - Start watching NBC
Client 1 - Start watching ESPN
Server 1 - Change to CBS
Client 1 - Stays with ESPN

Not sure what happens if I were to set both client and server back to same live channel, and repeat initial test at this point.

I am a little pressed for time at moment, so this is all the testing I've been able to complete.

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 10:46:20 am »

The server should be able to serve different clients on different channels using different tuners.

When the server or a client changes channel, the server may change channel on the same tuner depending on whether the tuner is server clients.  If the behavior you describe is displayed consistently, it would be a bug.  I will look into it.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up