INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to change default location for screen grab thumbnails and .xml files?  (Read 2048 times)

gminor

• Recent member

Hi Folks,
I would like to store the screen grab thumbnail .jpg's and JRSidecar.xml files in their own separate folders instead of the same folder where the related video resides. Is this possible?  I'm running MC 21.0.23.  

example:
video folder - c:\family\video\2015
screen grab thumbnails folder - c:\mc_data\custom_thumbs
JRSidecar.xml files folder - c:\mc_data\xml

Thanks!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to change default location for screen grab thumbnails and .xml files?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 06:36:28 pm »

Hi Folks,
I would like to store the screen grab thumbnail .jpg's and JRSidecar.xml files in their own separate folders instead of the same folder where the related video resides. Is this possible?

This is not possible. You can turn them off, so you don't have them at all, but there's no way to alter the storage location.

Unfortunately, it is rather more complicated than you might imagine to manage alternate locations for these for two reasons:

1. Ensuring the filenames chosen remain uniquely tied to the source file (so there's no collisions where files overwrite each other's sidecar files). This has happened in the past with other naming schemes JRiver has used, and its bad news.

2. Ensuring the files don't exceed the maximum allowable path length restrictions imposed by the filesystem. Users have had trouble with this in the past, and using not-in-subfolder sidecars ensures this doesn't happen: If the path to the file itself is valid, then the path to the sidecars is valid. There's no exceptions then, it always works.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gminor

• Recent member
Re: How to change default location for screen grab thumbnails and .xml files?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 01:00:10 am »

ok, thanks. I appreciate the explanation. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up