INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a second machine as a media server with MC  (Read 8214 times)

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
Building a second machine as a media server with MC
« on: November 28, 2015, 03:44:16 am »

Hi

I have one pc with MC on it and all my media is on that pc.

I want to build a second machine to be the server. This second pc will have all the media on it and connect via Ethernet cable to my network. It will have MC on it. Initially it won't be used for any thing other than serving the media to my first pc, eventually I will get a second TV.

I want to understand how MC is set up on these two machines ie which one is "in charge" of the MC library and where that library resides. I presume it matters which machine I import media with since the media will be added to that local library, but I don't really understand.

Very grateful for any guidance in setting up such a system.

Z

mark_h

• MC Beta Team

Neco

• World Citizen
Re: Building a second machine as a media server with MC
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 04:53:00 pm »

I'm kind of curious about this topic as well.  Ideally I want to leave my library on my current file server where it is  (more of a general storage server),  and be able to manage the library from a client.   So I can just turn on the server when I want to administrate the library or sync some songs to my iPod or something.   It looks like that is possible,  but I am a little unclear on how the adding files process would work.

Its obviously implied that when you add files, and sync, they will be moved to the server as long as it can access them.    But what do I do with those files after that?  (on the client machine).   What is the process of adding those files to the server, so they are stored there, and listed in the library -  but  deleting them on the machine they were added from,  while keeping their library entires  (since deletes are also sync'd ?)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 05:20:52 pm »

The Media Network topic on our wiki explains what you need to know to get started.

You run Media Server on the server.  Turn on Media Network.  Get the Access Key there.

You run MC on the client and you connect to the server.  File > Library > Connect to Remote Library.  Use the Access Key there.  After you've connected, you'll find the server under Playing Now in the second section.  Load the library.

After that, you're playing on the server, but controlling it on the client.

If you want to change the destination for playback, click on it in the list under Playing Now at the top.  If you click on Here, you'll be playing on the client.

To sync between the machines, you need to set authentication on the server.  You'll use that login and password when you connect.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 05:30:22 pm »

I'm kind of curious about this topic as well.  Ideally I want to leave my library on my current file server where it is  (more of a general storage server),  and be able to manage the library from a client.   So I can just turn on the server when I want to administrate the library or sync some songs to my iPod or something.   It looks like that is possible,  but I am a little unclear on how the adding files process would work.

Its obviously implied that when you add files, and sync, they will be moved to the server as long as it can access them.    But what do I do with those files after that?  (on the client machine).   What is the process of adding those files to the server, so they are stored there, and listed in the library -  but  deleting them on the machine they were added from,  while keeping their library entires  (since deletes are also sync'd ?)

You can do a lot of management from the client, including editing tags.  However, you can not rip CDs and import those files into the server library from the client. That can only be done on the server. The original implementation was meant to play music on the client using files stored on the server. It was not meant to be able to fully manage all aspects of the server database. The LIbrary Server Sync article discusses what can be synced and what cannot be synced. From that article

What Is Synced

File value changes (artists, keywords, playback statistics, etc.)
    File deletes
    File adds (server adds always go to clients, client adds go to server if the server can reach the file)
    Playlist additions
    Playlist changes
    Television recording schedule

What Is Not Synced

View customization (columns, sorting, adding / removing views)
    Playlist deletion
    Options changes (each client maintains its own options)

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 06:20:24 pm »

Right.. But it says right there under "what is sync'd" --   "file adds"

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 09:07:50 pm »

Right.. But it says right there under "what is sync'd" --   "file adds"

As far as I know, when your are on the client you cannot rip a CD from a CD player attached to  the client or from a  CD player attached to the server. And you cannot Import files on the client. The option is greyed out.

I know the Wiki says you can sync from the client to the server, but I do not know how you do that. If someone knows how to rip files or import files on a client when in client/server mode, I will defer to them. I cannot rip or import as a client.

File -  Library - Sync is not an option when you are a client. It will sync the local library to a server library when you are not in client/server mode.  Honestly, I am not exactly sure how that sync works. But it is PC to PC sync, not a client to server sync when running other the client/server relationship. Maybe someone else can provide the details of exactly what a PC to PC sync does versus a client to server sync. It involves maintaining and syncing two separate libraries rather than managing one server library from a client.

Z0001

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 06:07:30 am »

So what is the difference of just using a nas to host the media? What's the advantage of using MC? Can the MC server serve multiple clients at once? Can it serve the same file to multiple clients at the same time? (Unlikely but I just want to understand how it works and the limitations.

Thanks
Z

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 06:22:41 am »

The "physical location" of the media files (music, videos, etc.) does not matter - it can be on the computer's internal drives or a NAS.

The "Server" is the computer that stores the MC database (the media metadata, file location, tag info, etc.). So it should be the computer that left running all time and had a CD/DVD drive and has your TV Tuner cards (if any). If the Server is not running, the Client computers are unusable.
You can have as many "Client" computers as you want/need.

Syncing from client to server means you can make changes on one computer and it will reflect on all computers. For example you can delete a watched TV Show from a client and that action will delete the file data on the server and the physical file on the drive/nas. You can modify tags (ex. change a Rating) of a media file and that change will reflect on the server. You can import new file/media to the server and it will show on all clients. Note you have to turn "syncing" On.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 07:09:55 am »

I believe there are two separate situations going on here. Some of this is terminology, but some is an actual difference is options in two different situations. One situation is using client/server/Tremote and the other is syncing two stand alone libraries. This how I understand it, but I would be happy to be corrected.

If you are in client/server mode (aka Tremote), the library from the Server is temporarily copied to the client and the client uses that library rather than the normal one on the client computer.  In that mode, the client  cannot import or rip files. The Import option is greyed out and if you try to rip using a CD on the client computer, it says that is not allowed. You also cannot do a manual sync Files - Libarary - Sync Library from the client.

In the second mode, when you are not in client/sever mode (aka Tremote) there are two separate libraries active, the normal one on the "client" and normal one one on the "server". In that case you do not really have a client/server relationship and, at least as I understand it, there is no auto sync option. That is when the manual sync (Files - Library - Sync Library) option works. From what I can tell it copies some information from the main library on the "client" to the main library on the "server", although I have never known exactly what it copies and what criteria it uses to determine if their are duplicates or not. I have never done manual syncs because I never knew exactly what was copied. And, if it is true sync I would expect both libraries to be the same after the sync, but I do not think that happens. I do not think the "server" library entries get copied back to the "client" library, but I could be wrong.

As I understand it, the manual sync option can be used to add entries to the "server" library, although it does not move the files. It seems like the best way to use this is to rip or import a file on the "client" in stand alone mode but actually store it on the server or on a NAS. That way, when the manual sync is done, the "server" library is updated but no files are moved, and the file already resides on the server or on the NAS. I guess if you have only 1 client, then storing them locally would be fine, but if you have more than one client, there is a potential to have to do two network transfers to play a track.

To actual play music you would want to go back to client/server/Tremote mode so as to have access to all the tracks on the server.

Unfortunately, the Wiki article mixes these two modes - client/server with Tremote and manual syncing with two independent libraries. My guess is that these two modes were introduced separately. I remember when Tremote was introduced, but do not know when manual sync was added. I think is was a separate development.

It would be nice to have a list of what is auto synced in client/server/Tremote and what is manually synced by the library option. But, as far as I know, you cannot add files to the server when in client/server/Tremote mode.

Any clarification on this topic would be welcome.

Arindelle

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 07:33:45 am »

yes +1 to Country Bumpkin.

A NAS is not the media server it is just a big external shared drive really. That always confuses people so I'll call it media server. At present JRiver does not support NAS installations (there is a project using QNAP NASs so we'll see).

For all intents and purposes you can do just about anything as DTC's list indicates,except -

on the media server machine you mess with:
moving/renaming files (there are some work arounds, but better avoid this from the clients generally)
artwork
views
some playlist functions
audio analysis
(probably omitted one or 2 but hey ;) )

ripping you can of course do wherever you want to. BUT the files have to be put in the network drive(s) location that the media server PC is set up to import. SO rip on a local hard drive of a client all you want but you will have to move it to the right machine - a NAS or a local drive in the main, media server PC. (mapping network drives makes this pretty easy to do though).

If you are running headless without a monitor or you want to do all admin and everything from a client PC and have the server machine connected to your main playback system, there are a lot of good freeware tools allowing you to do this .. I use Teamviewer and it works like a charm.

One last thing that can be confusing ... on each install, there is a local library set up -- and this is called "Main" which can be really confusing. The client would Load the media server machine's library not the default local one! You can have multiple libraries, but usually this is not a good idea unless there is a specific purpose for this -- (eg I have a separate local library on a client that is only mp3s for my sync with my phone -- I don't use it for playback -- some people without a NAS or a real slow media server PC might have all their video files in one location and their audio files in another, but generally you want one library shared by all clients.

Edit - was typing when DTC posted, haven't heard the word Tremote in a real long time :) Syncing is the same for auto or manual - I often use manual syncing for long tag sessions, but that is for another thread.  Basically all your metadata will be synced, but the auto-syncing is not done on specified intervals at least not what I have seen. Usually on a track or album change it will sync, I've found, but it is not instant. New/changed album art and some view/UI modification requires you to close and reopen JRiver on a client. However adding fields/changing field properties does seem to get ported over after a sync.

Arindelle

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 07:45:25 am »

edit 2  ;D -- some of the WIKI articles are a bit dated, but basically you are not accessing directly the library file, (I think that is what dtc is referring to about client server relationship?)  I believe you have a sort of virtual file loaded on the client, you don't access directly the server database files.  This has its drawbacks, but it makes things a hell of a lot safer if multiple clients are running, and it significantly boosts speed, reducing cpu load and network resources.

So its not really 2 modes its just two library databases. Usually, you would only be loading the one, which will automatically try to load when re-launching JRiver. 2 separate libraries don't sync , on manual or auto

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 07:52:38 am »

I  haven't heard the word Tremote in a real long time :)

Back when Netbooks were the new thing. I still actually run MC on one. Remember the video of Jim in his kitchen?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 07:54:27 am »

Whether you're playing locally or on the server, the library database is loaded locally as a copy.  Each client does this.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 08:20:02 am »

edit 2  ;D -- some of the WIKI articles are a bit dated, but basically you are not accessing directly the library file, (I think that is what dtc is referring to about client server relationship?)  I believe you have a sort of virtual file loaded on the client, you don't access directly the server database files.  This has its drawbacks, but it makes things a hell of a lot safer if multiple clients are running, and it significantly boosts speed, reducing cpu load and network resources.

So its not really 2 modes its just two library databases. Usually, you would only be loading the one, which will automatically try to load when re-launching JRiver.

Agreed. The client has a temporary version of the server library and uses that. It is actually a third databases - there is one on the server, a permanent one of the client, and the temporary (virtual) one on the client when running in client/server mode. In fact, if I remember correctly, the temporary (virtual) one is actually visible on the local disk, maybe  in the roaming director, when in client/server mode.

As I understand it, changes made on a client as made to the temporary library (virtual library), not the permanent one. Then, auto syncing in client/server mode moves changed made in the temporary library back to the server library. Those changes do not get made to the permanent library on the client.

2 separate libraries don't sync , on manual or auto

Manual sync can only be done when you are not in client server mode. You have to have the local library loaded. If that actually syncs the temporary (virtual) library with the server, then how can it move files into the server library? As I said, you cannot import or rip when working as a client. Something seems wrong here. If you can actually move file entries from the client to the server, how do you make those file additions to the client? I assumed that capability must sync the local permanent library with the server. If that is not the case, then I am confused.

NOTE ADDED: There are two manual sync options - Sync Changes with Library Server, which is available when in client/server mode and Library Sync which is only available when you are not in client server mode. It is the second that is only available when connected to the local, Main library.

Arindelle

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 10:49:23 am »

As I understand it, changes made on a client as made to the temporary library (virtual library), not the permanent one. Then, auto syncing in client/server mode moves changed made in the temporary library back to the server library. Those changes do not get made to the permanent library on the client.
Yes. However, as I'm assuming you are referring to the "Main" local library on each install as the "permanent" library, don't get confused. Each install has 1 library. Each library (database) is distinct and separate. Generally, you only use one - the one that is on the server PC NOT the client. You don't sync a the two together - we are syncing metadata basically not the files themselves. That other sync method available locally is for pretty specific reasons -- I have never used it and has nothing to do with a networked library. Most of the time, all of you files will be on one machine, accessed via 1 library by as many machines/devices as you need. I guess you could use it to transfer ripped files, but seems like a complicated way to go about it not to mention a waste of space on local drives. Frankly I'm surprised its still an option, as there are other ways to get around this like just move the files and restoring a library backup  -- there is probably a reason tho :)

Manual sync can only be done when you are not in client server mode. You have to have the local library loaded. If that actually syncs the temporary (virtual) library with the server, then how can it move files into the server library? As I said, you cannot import or rip when working as a client. Something seems wrong here. If you can actually move file entries from the client to the server, how do you make those file additions to the client? I assumed that capability must sync the local permanent library with the server. If that is not the case, then I am confused.

NOTE ADDED: There are two manual sync options - Sync Changes with Library Server, which is available when in client/server mode and Library Sync which is only available when you are not in client server mode. It is the second that is only available when connected to the local, Main library.

As I said above, I'm only referring the Client to server sync. Once set-up you never have to load the local client library again in theory. You might want to use the local library to "sync" to a portable install maybe for off-line office use. You can also sync handhelds -- but here you are editing a temporary copy and it gets synced to the main library - either manually or automatically. The other sync option is about the copying media files themselves, not the database. If anything, you want to move files not copy them

As I said, you cannot import or rip when working as a client. Something seems wrong here. If you can actually move file entries from the client to the server, how do you make those file additions to the client? I assumed that capability must sync the local permanent library with the server. If that is not the case, then I am confused.

well the client is not moving the files ... hmm ..... I think I see where I wasn't clear. Its ripping  :P I use an external program to rip, so I forget  about this limitation.

IF you rip with JRiver yes, you would have to use a local library to get it to the ripping menu  -- lots of people have asked for this to be a standalone program because of this. If you are ripping on a client machine using JRiver, the local library is just really acting as dummy library: rip, move the files to the network storage area if need be, then clear the library as it serves no purpose. I see no reason to copy the files at all. Move them sure, copy them? why? Or you rip on the server PC or use an external program on the client.  What's important is that the files can be imported and accessed by the server PC. Sorry should have been clearer.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 12:45:18 pm »

Yes. However, as I'm assuming you are referring to the "Main" local library on each install as the "permanent" library, don't get confused. Each install has 1 library. Each library (database) is distinct and separate.

Yes, by permanent library I mean the main library. Should have used that term. And, yes, I know that each system has a Main library and that the syncing is just the library entries between the client and the server, not the actual files. And that the sync in client/server does not involve the Main library on the client. I am just pointing out some limitations in the implication for those who asked how to use it.

IF you rip with JRiver yes, you would have to use a local library to get it to the ripping menu  -- lots of people have asked for this to be a standalone program because of this. If you are ripping on a client machine using JRiver, the local library is just really acting as dummy library: rip, move the files to the network storage area if need be, then clear the library as it serves no purpose. I see no reason to copy the files at all. Move them sure, copy them? why? Or you rip on the server PC or use an external program on the client.  What's important is that the files can be imported and accessed by the server PC. Sorry should have been clearer.

The Wiki says you can add files from a client ("file adds (server adds always go to clients, client adds go to server if the server can reach the file)"). That is what I am questioning. I do not believe you can do that from a client/server setup. And, yes, that is a known problem with the client/server setup.

In the process you describe, once you have moved the files to the server (or you could just put them their with the original rip) you still need to import them into the library from the server. You cannot do that from the client. That is a drawback if you want to manage the system from the client.

I was just pointing out the issues with managing a client/server system solely from the client,  for the posters who asked how a client/server system worked.

That other sync method available locally is for pretty specific reasons -- I have never used it and has nothing to do with a networked library. Most of the time, all of you files will be on one machine, accessed via 1 library by as many machines/devices as you need. I guess you could use it to transfer ripped files, but seems like a complicated way to go about it not to mention a waste of space on local drives. Frankly I'm surprised its still an option, as there are other ways to get around this like just move the files and restoring a library backup  -- there is probably a reason tho :)

The other sync option is about the copying media files themselves, not the database. If anything, you want to move files not copy them

So, a clarification.  Auto Sync when in client/server, Manual Sync when in client/server and Sync Changes with Library Server in Playing Now all do the same thing.

So what does Files - Sync Library actual do when not in client/server mode? It references copying Files and asks you for your Access Code for the library server. It sounds like it copies entries from Main on the the PC you are on to the Server library and also copies the files. Is that correct? Or does it do it the other way around - updating the local PC with library entries and files from the server? I am guessing, since I do not really know what it does. That is why I have never used it.

I am pretty sure that the Wiki entry that says you can do file adds from a client is wrong. Do you concur? That is what I am really trying to confirm. It does become a point of confusion for new users, as this thread shows.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 01:10:24 pm »

I got around all of this client/server/sync nonsense by using my personal workstation as the master "edit" station - my MC instance (and it's "local" library) - actually points to our master media stash on MEDIA-PC.

Then on my workstation I edit/change/remove/tag everything against the master stash - and then have the "media" PC (running in client/server mode) simply pick all these changes up and "serve" them out to our other 4 PCs which are all in "client" mode.

This ensures that the library is 100% up to date everywhere and any changes can only be made by my station - which does not run in client mode.

Relives me of all the weirdness of authentications, passwords, syncing etc etc.

VP

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 01:24:30 pm »

Then on my workstation I edit/change/remove/tag everything against the master stash - and then have the "media" PC (running in client/server mode) simply pick all these changes up and "serve" them out to our other 4 PCs which are all in "client" mode.

It sounds like youf workstation and your Medic PC are different systems, each with a different Main library. How does the Media PC library pick up the changes from your workstation library?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 01:38:52 pm »

It sounds like you workstation and you Medic PC are different systems, each with a different Main library. How does the Media PC library pick up the changes from your workstation library?

They are different. Workstation has its own lib and MEDIA-PC has it's own. But the trick is that they point to same master media location.

So if I tag up four albums, add artwork to 8 and delete 6 - all on my workstation - I am making those changes to the same media stash that "MEDIA-PC" is watching. After I make changes on my workstation - a minute or two later - MEDIA-PC picks up all those changes and we are good to go.

The only items that requires a bit of "remote desktop" now and then is the occasion smartlist update, updating MC itself and Patch Tuesday. With all the prior issues I faced with MC "updating" itself in the background and not booting/starting correctly after an update - AND the recent spate of WIndows Update nonsense (Where Microsoft is trying to turn every decent Windows 7 box into a Windows 10 box) - I have now moved to a single monthly maintenance window - where I do my updates manually and make any small adjustments to the "media server" library by accessing the HTPC via RDP.

Other than that - our HTPC is 100% ready to serve 24x7.

VP

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 02:31:16 pm »

So if I tag up four albums, add artwork to 8 and delete 6 - all on my workstation - I am making those changes to the same media stash that "MEDIA-PC" is watching. After I make changes on my workstation - a minute or two later - MEDIA-PC picks up all those changes and we are good to go.

I did not realize auto import re-imported tags that are changed in the files. That is pretty neat. I do not use auto import. It causes too many problems for me since my server is not dedicated just to serving MC. So I just import everything manually.  That works better for me, since I do not import that much. But, good to know. Your's is a nice solution when you have a dedicated media server and it keeps both libraries in sync if both systems are auto-importing from the same folders. I need to think about using this approach is some places. Thanks.

Arindelle

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 09:13:11 am »

Quote from: dtc
I am pretty sure that the Wiki entry that says you can do file adds from a client is wrong. Do you concur? That is what I am really trying to confirm. It does become a point of confusion for new users, as this thread shows.

I think the Wiki needs to be revised sure but this is not a small endeavor! I would love if they can change some of the terms -- semantic confusion assured :) (most people think their NAS is the server for example; or that the main library on a client machine is the "principle" shared library.

I don't think the sync where it copies files and not metadata is really a "sync"  -- but I'm too lazy to test with 4tb drives :) It copies files to create a separate library (for you vacation home, off-line office copy, portable install?) maybe more of a cloning operation and the menus haven't been re-worded??

I think you can add files and get them imported from a client PC -- just not through the JRiver client directly, haha! If you use mapped network drives and you move or even rip to these drives and autoimport is on it will be picked up (needs a system event though, so its not always immediate. (mapped, lettered drives for me work better than UNC strings)

A lot of these client/server complications are compensated for by really fast access, importing, playback, control functionality and low system load. Truly a great program for people large complex music libraries and complicated systems ... more painful for people who have less than 500 albums and are used to plug and play set-ups for sure. I wouldn't want them to put into place something easier that would make performance or functionality suffer though. Running Team Viewer or remote desktop from windows for a couple of operations per month seems a small price to pay.

Even though it doesn't affect me, if the ripper could be launched without loading a local client library, that would be a lot less confusing and easier for lots of folks.

I've found that the biggest confusion though is that most set-ups really should only be loading one big library. In my opinion, I don't think JRiver is really designed to sync or run across multiple libraries .... although it can be done, you'd have to be very careful to protect what is the "master" database (multiple machines can run media server, also). People that set-up multiple libraries to be able to only have to turn on/wake up the PC in the room they are in are going to have problems  - or they have to have really complicated work arounds. I understand, the frustration though ... especially if you use a NAS, which means you might need 3 machines running when working off of a client. Until there is a way to standardise an installation of JRiver to run mediaserver on all brands of  NASs directly, (QNAP, Synology etc; don't all work the same), I can't see that changing right away.  Its one of the reasons it gets people mixed up -- they think a NAS would be the obvious choice, when most would be better off with a fast, wake-on-lan, silent PC  and 1 client for admin (with 1 having a lot of drives). Add a control point/renderer or 2 if you have a big house and JRemote and you have it all :)

As Vocalpoint shows there are more than one way you can set this up. Depends on what you need and how much admin you are willing to do I guess :)

Vocalpoint

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 09:28:27 am »

Your's is a nice solution when you have a dedicated media server and it keeps both libraries in sync if both systems are auto-importing from the same folders. I need to think about using this approach is some places. Thanks.

Actually - this solution does not keep both libraries in sync. Both libraries are unique. The library on the HTPC - is designed to be consumed by the "clients" using a media stash that is "managed" by my workstation. But the library on the HTPC vs the library on my own box - are completely different in the way of views, playlists and so on.

My own "personal" library on my workstation contains playlists and views that only I could enjoy - while the library on the HTPC serves a more palatable set of playlists for the rest of the household and views that fit the purpose of the HTPC. Another big difference - the HTPC does video - my PC does not.

So there are marked differences between the actual libraries. But the master content "seen" by both systems - comes for a single managed source.

Cheers!

VP

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 10:19:14 am »

Actually - this solution does not keep both libraries in sync. Both libraries are unique. The library on the HTPC - is designed to be consumed by the "clients" using a media stash that is "managed" by my workstation. But the library on the HTPC vs the library on my own box - are completely different in the way of views, playlists and so on.

My own "personal" library on my workstation contains playlists and views that only I could enjoy - while the library on the HTPC serves a more palatable set of playlists for the rest of the household and views that fit the purpose of the HTPC. Another big difference - the HTPC does video - my PC does not.

So there are marked differences between the actual libraries. But the master content "seen" by both systems - comes for a single managed source.

Cheers!

VP

Agreed. I was thinking it keeps both libraries in sync in terms of the common media files and their tags. You can, of course, have content that is unique to your system, including music and video if you want. It is a nice solution.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 11:26:44 am »

I think you can add files and get them imported from a client PC -- just not through the JRiver client directly, haha! If you use mapped network drives and you move or even rip to these drives and autoimport is on it will be picked up (needs a system event though, so its not always immediate. (mapped, lettered drives for me work better than UNC strings)

I did some experiments. In fact, you can set up auto-import on the client when it is running in client/server mode and it will import the files into the library and propagate them back to the server. You do have to do the rip when you are attached to a Main library since, as you said, you cannot rip from a client.   Unfortunately, if you set auto-import on the client, then it also happens for the Main library on that system. So, you can, in fact, create library entries for files on the client and have it sync back to the server using auto-import. You just get you main library also populated, which, in some case, may be OK.

It seems like the best way to get new files into the server library is to rip them to the server and use auto-import there.

So, I stand corrected. You can, in fact, write library data for a file from the client to the server. You cannot do it by ripping or manual importing, but you can do it with auto-import. So, after all this, I did learn something:)

It would be nice to get the Wiki updated just to add the auto-import comment to the bullet that says you can move file information from the client to the server. I don't think most people think of that immediately.

Even though it doesn't affect me, if the ripper could be launched without loading a local client library, that would be a lot less confusing and easier for lots of folks.

Totally agree. This is the missing link. I think you should be able to rip when running as a client. Since the ability to propagate the library information back to the server does work, it really seems like being able to rip from a client should be available. However, this has been requested many times before and I doubt it will ever happen. Even if it was implemented, it would probably  be using a CD player on the local machine, not on the server. Unfortunately, not being able to rip from the client makes the client/server option less attractive for some people.

Maybe someday, I will learn what the File- Library Sync option actually does, but not today. I have had enough client/server for now :)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 11:30:21 am »

Z0001 and Neco - sorry to hijack this thread with way too much detail about how client/server works. If you are still viewing and have questions, please ask. It really can be a very useful way to use MC.

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 11:13:47 pm »

Its ok.  There is some good reading to be had in this thread now.   I think I may need to consider an NAS type route in the future as the easiest way to do what I mentioned wanting to do earlier,  seems to be like you said,  keeping a central media stash location that both machines can access and scan for updates.

The big impetus for wanting to do it my way,  is I like to be able to boot up my secondary machine on demand, and just do my file tasks via a file manager.  I rarely if ever use an actual keyboard and mouse unless initiating things like video capture while gaming, etc.   The second PC is more of a file server / media library,  running with FlexRAID for some level of protection.

It also uses my 720p HDTV as its primary display,  and using my keyboard/touchpad combo with it is a pain.  I like to see lots of info on screen when editing and stuff so 720p just doesn't cut it either.
That's why I thought  "oh, would be nice if I could just use  MC client on my machine like a dumb terminal, and sync back new files / deletes / tag updates etc".

Picking up an external drive and running an NAS off a raspberry pi  or something might be in my future I suppose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up